PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big Tires, Bad Gearing... gear ratio issue?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by drgstrSMB
Ok so if it's 80% to blame then what can be done?

(I mean yeah 3rd would fix the shifting and help save the tranny but increase engine wear running at 3,100 rpm all the time on the highway and help out even less with mpg.)
With 4.10 gears and 37" tread, I doubt you'll be at 3100 at highway speed. Check it out and see where you end up. If you are closer to 26-2700, you'll still get much better mpg's than shifting up and down bogging down the motor.

Your only recourse is to regear to the steeper 4.56 gears, which would yield minimal yet slightly positive gains (but honestly isn't worth the expense), or come to the conclusion that 35" tires are a much better solution for a DD. A wider 35" would still look good on your rig.

And +1 on the above suggestion to ditch the spare. Hauling around the extra weight of the small spare when you can't even use the tire provides no benefit and looks the part.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:53 PM

SO... what's the word seasoned H3 owners? Give me the bottom line on best exhaust (its gotta have that awesome loud low grumble I've got now.... the guy whole sold it to me said he had already tried flow master and magnaflow, and they were just too quiet -- also it'd be nice if the suggested exhaust doesn't trip my check engine light).
AND... what's the best super chip? HollaBack.
So how did he try Flowmaster? Last I checked they didn't make an exhaust system for the Alpha. I run the GM permormance exhaust on mine. Love the sound. Strange too since in the 3 you don't notice it but when my wifes driving you hear how good it sounds when shes pulling away.
I would also suggest a Superchips programer. Works great.

Old 06-28-2012, 06:40 PM

Old 06-28-2012, 07:33 PM

Ok so if it's 80% to blame then what can be done?

(I mean yeah 3rd would fix the shifting and help save the tranny but increase engine wear running at 3,100 rpm all the time on the highway and help out even less with mpg.)
For comparison sake, I ran mine in 3rd on the highway on the way home from work tonite. 31-3200 rpm's @ 65 mph...but that's with 32" tires and 4.56 gears.

With 37" tires and 4.10 gears you should be running at a much lower RPM. I'd guess closer to 2500 rpm.

Old 06-29-2012, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by bflank
Is it just me or is your spare much smaller than your 37" tires? If that is the case, you might as well leave the spare off & save some weight. That might help your MPG marginally - OK maybe trivially.

Running a 33" spare with three 37" tires is likely to do some serious violence to your rig.
?what? If I flatten a tire off roading I'm going to need that spare.

The only violence to be worried about is what a 5th 120 lb tire would do to the back door

Old 06-29-2012, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds

Superchips Cortex Programmer allows the flexibility of changing the tune any time you want, ... or a PCMforless mail order PCM tune.

That's what's up, thanks for the lead.

Old 06-29-2012, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by Xlr8n
, or come to the conclusion that 35" tires are a much better solution for a DD. A wider 35" would still look good on your rig.
nah, #1 priority is rarirty. The 37s stay.

But any other advice where people have massaged hp and mpg would be great.

And +1 on the above suggestion to ditch the spare. Hauling around the extra weight of the small spare when you can't even use the tire provides no benefit and looks the part.
Ok, once again, I'm still confused by this comment. Yes the spare is stock and smaller. Literally 80% of modern cars have smaller spares.

Obviously if i rip a hole in my sidewall I'm just worried about cursing the sky then creeping back to civilization, not putting on a new 37" and continuing to sling mud. If I brought a 5th 37" the swinggate would probably snap off when I was trying to get out the jack anyways, making the day exponetially worse.... and I don't know a sole who would take a spare off and on - of any size - every 5 days.

Old 06-29-2012, 12:29 AM

For comparison sake, I ran mine in 3rd on the highway on the way home from work tonite. 31-3200 rpm's @ 65 mph...but that's with 32" tires and 4.56 gears.

With 37" tires and 4.10 gears you should be running at a much lower RPM. I'd guess closer to 2500 rpm.
Nah the reason I posted that number was because it's what I was getting cause trust me I was trying everything. 3rd, 4-wheel high lock, no TCS, blah blah blah. If it dropped it was 3100 @ 70 mph.

The best part? like half our highways in Texas are 80.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:34 AM

nah, #1 priority is rarirty. The 37s stay.

But any other advice where people have massaged hp and mpg would be great.

Ok, once again, I'm still confused by this comment. Yes the spare is stock and smaller. Literally 80% of modern cars have smaller spares.

Obviously if i rip a hole in my sidewall I'm just worried about cursing the sky then creeping back to civilization, not putting on a new 37" and continuing to sling mud. If I brought a 5th 37" the swinggate would probably snap off when I was trying to get out the jack anyways, making the day exponetially worse.... and I don't know a sole who would take a spare off and on - of any size - every 5 days.
80% of the cars aren't AWD. You WILL cause damage if you put that on with the 37's. It sounds like you may be in a little over you head with what you have, do some research. Also, mow your grass.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:59 AM

Well then your next option is to add horsepower to that thing. I personally would supercharge that thing

Quick Reply: Big Tires, Bad Gearing... gear ratio issue?