PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Barnwell Mountain (Gilmer, TX) Off Road Run Saturday 09/29/07

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 07:50 PM
Default RE: Barnwell Mountain (TX) Off Road Run Saturday 09/29/07

ORIGINAL: HUMMER DRIVER

I'm good with the meet time, no problemo.

I don't have a CB... but I have handheld cell phone plus the onstar phone. Do we really need it, I've never been on a group hunt.. If someone has a spare that I cound use for the day that'd be great, worth a cold one for sure!

I hope to have some new tires by then, not sure, it's coming up quick.
I've been wondering if that big-*** Cooper tire warehouse on the east bound side of I-20
will sell blems or direct to the public. Don't know much about cooper, but they seem to be
turning up quite a bit on other forums. They have a MTR that doesn't look to bad.

Old 09-15-2007, 04:55 PM

Steve, if you can find your spare CB that'd be great buddy.

Mark, too late on the Cooper Tires... besides, sometimes it's hard to get blemished tires balanced properly. I ordered a set of 34" Super Swampers Trxus M/T today with Pro Comp Xtreme Alloy Series 1079 beadlock rims. Dammmnnn they look sweet. They didn't have the beadlock rings in stock. I'll have to order them later or from another dealer. I think I got a pretty good deal on the set, was about $1400.00 for 4, I'll order the spare maybe next month, wifey is aggravated I spent that much on tires when I have a perfectly good set of tire and wheels on the Hummer already. I guess she'll get it when she sees what it looks like when them on.

I think I want to tweak my torsion bars a bit, not excessively. Just raise the nose an inch or so and get it level left to right.

I don't know if the wheels will arrive before Barnwell, I hope so... they're supposed to arrive mounted balanced and ready to bolt on.

Here's a pic of the wheels showing the beadlock rings, I can't decide on the chrome or the black rings.

Does anyone think I'll have any problems with 34's on the H3 with only a slight raising of the front end? I really don't want to rasie it so high that I need new stops or longer shocks or extenders.

Old 09-15-2007, 07:27 PM

You cloning me or what? [sm=badbadbad.gif]

What size rims?

Old 09-15-2007, 08:48 PM

LOL, is that the same rims you have? I got the 16"x10". Staying with 16 wheels helped keep the price of the tires down. It's interesting to see the price change on a 35 inch tire for 20" rims down to 15" rims and still maintain the O.D. of 35".

Besides, I thought you have Mickey T's Classic Locks?

You know I looked and looked at tires and I kept coming back to these wheels and tires, I was torn between the SS SSR Radials and the Trxus M/T. The price was close but I thought these looked better and would have better offroad capability and that's the reason I'm buying tires and wheels. Heck I can swap out of my street tires to these when I'm ready to go play offroad, put my stockers back on for a road trip and save the rubber..

I was thinking about getting 35's but I found a good deal on the 34s on 16" rims. After looking at those Pro Comp wheels with rings side by side, I think I like the black ring over the chromed one.

Old 09-15-2007, 10:38 PM

Pretty much the same.

(I hear imitation is the sincerest form of flattery)---

ProComp 6079 forged aluminum/chrome wheels 17x9 (4.75bs)
ProComp 7179 simulated bead lock rings
Interco Super Swamper TrxUs Mt radials 12.50x33

Do the black rings and silver hardware....I've seen 'em up close and you wont be sorry

I've actually thought about getting a set of black with chrome rings and hardware for some 35's and just
putting some big *** street tires on the chrome ones for summer.....but that is for another day....

I originally wanted the 34's but because I went with a 17 inch rim it was either a 33 or 35. no 34's for me.....[:@]

The 17's will clear a lift kit I hope to put on way down the road.

Those Swamper will surprise you. They are one of the best RAIN tires I have ever owned in addition to being
great off road. I drive from Dallas to Arlington in Monsoons/Floods and haven't had a single occurrence of hydro.
Now don't get discouraged if it takes them a while to "find round"....It was 1000 miles before mine settled down
and took a good balance. It was actually Sewell that got 'em smoothed out. 4WP's did a decent job, but between
70 and 80 they were rough...they are good all the way up to 85 now.

One word you need to remember above all else with a Swamper......ROTATE...at each oil change.

I've got close to 15 on these and have just now made it through the first wear mark.

One last thing....You will learn to HATE frakkin' irrigation systems and their run-off ! ! ! You think you have road spray now.....

Those bad boys will be flinging **** up on your truck you never knew existed in this dimension.

(I pretty much have the local watering schedules memorized)

I'm one of those goobers that wants the truck spotless or so filthy people change lanes to get away from it........

So....... that sprinkler run-off just chaps my ***.

But you know, I love those tires and rims better than any I've ever owned. They are worth the hassle.

Sure hope they get here in time for the trip.

Old 09-16-2007, 10:34 AM

Yes, I think I will go with the black rings, I do like the contrast look against the polished wheels.

I'm happy I went for the 34" with 16" rims, one thing is they are much cheaper than larger rim diameters. Also, I've read that for offroading, smaller rims and taller tires is the better option.
Price was a big part of it too. I saw a price difference of almost $300 a set of four from 34" w/ 16 rims and 34" with 18-20" rims.

Next month I'll likely order my fifth wheel set for my spare and order the black beadlock rings for all five wheels.

I went to some tire shops in Arlington and spoke with a few guys who really knew offroad tires and both really highlighted the fact that you have to balance & rotate the wheels a lot more often than regular street radials.

Don't know if these will be in before the Barnwell trip, I hope so but if not I'll get some pics when I get them on.

Old 09-17-2007, 02:32 AM
Default RE: Barnwell Mountain (Gilmer, TX) Off Road Run Saturday 09/29/07

Im coming! +2

Thanks Steve#1 for the invite from the Elcova Forums!

Gonna get my Dad and Brother to come up in thier Blazer and Jeep. They live in Longview, and I'm coming from Austin, is there going to be a meet site at the park? Im gonna try to get my Dad to bring his camper and stay overnight on Saturday, anyone else staying over night?

Old 09-17-2007, 11:21 AM

Guess I'll get to check out your wheels in a couple weeks then.

Old 09-24-2007, 11:55 AM

Just wanted to get an updatedrole callfor this Saturday...

I'm in.

Are we all still good w/ the meeting place?

Old 09-24-2007, 01:18 PM

My status is up in the air.......I'll be playing it by ear due to those pesky work projectsthat keep changing execute dates...

(Not to mention recovery time from the Sewell two day event this past weekend which I ALMOST missed ...)

Steve's status is probably leaning to the negative side I would imagine. He had some mechanical issues
after the event and had to leave his truck in Fairfield as did another H3 we were traveling with.

(Note: Sewell went ABOVE and BEYOND to get these guys taken care of...I'll detail this in my trip thread when I can get some pics up)

Thank You Brain and Jay.....You guys were life savers.

So...that's where I'm at ......Wait and see.....

Oh yeah....Check out the following pic of Steve's truck and see if you can guess what one of his main mechanical issues was:

Quick Reply: Barnwell Mountain (Gilmer, TX) Off Road Run Saturday 09/29/07