PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Barnwell Mountain (Gilmer, TX) Off Road Run Saturday 09/29/07

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 12:14 PM
Default RE: Barnwell Mountain (TX) Off Road Run Saturday 09/29/07

Check your inbox....PM and e-mail....

Old 09-10-2007, 03:42 PM

Hey Guys,

I just received something from my Hummer Dealer, Frank Kent. They are having some Hummer thing at the same weekend as Barnwell group. (Spet. 29). Get this, it's a day at the FW Zoo.

I'm like..... no thanks. When I first saw the letter I thought I was going to be torn between FK's Hummer trip or the forum group meeting at Barnwell the same weekend. Well, I've been to the FW zoo and I didn't need a Hummer to get there.

I'm still on for the trip on the 29th though, is everyone from DFW area just driving up the morning of and driving back that night? Just curious, I've got a room on retainer and may cancel it if everyone is getting up early and convoying it to Gilmer.

Old 09-11-2007, 12:41 AM

the zoo?! wtf?! where's the fun in that?

i'm still planning on just a day trip. glad to hear you're still in. we should probably decide on a place and time to meet, that is, if everyone wants to convoy.

Old 09-11-2007, 07:31 PM

OK....I'll start.

Day trip.....Meet in Dallas....08:00.....There is an Albertson's@ McKinney and Lemonwe could meet at and folks could load up on drinks, ice, food, etc.....Just north of downtown, so it's pretty centrally located....

In case of rain, there is a parking structure across the street that has ample clearance for any lifted vehicles.

Alternatives? Suggestions? Who will be meeting us at the site?

Communications? CB's, GMRS or just use cells....

I think I'm gonna get one of these for the Sewell trip:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

Oh yeah....Zoo? WTF? I'd rather do a Sonic Cruise / Show n Shine..........

Old 09-12-2007, 11:07 AM

hey mark, so i guess the repainted door has dried out and is ready to rock? if you're worried about damaging it, i'm sure we can find a nice piece of cardboard to duct tape over it w/ [sm=lildevil.gif]. jk!!!

8am at The Al sounds great. it'll give everyone a chance to pick up any forgotten foods.

regarding communication, i've gottwo cheezy 10-channel, $30 walmart walkie-talkies. so, i should be ok to jump in on channel chat...though i know nothing about radios...

Old 09-12-2007, 11:17 AM

I suggested CBs for the Sewell trip since we always use those same two-way radios that unless you're100 feet or closer, are relatively worthless. Let me know if you get that one -- I'm interested to find out how well it works. For this event we'll have 3 groups out at one time and spread over a couple thousand acres -- and you'll be able to listen to Rikki yell at us when we're out on the trails. I had a CB and a big whip antenna in Indiana, but it didn't make the trip down and I'm looking for something that can go from truck to truck...

Old 09-12-2007, 08:12 PM

Well, I went ahead and got that Cobra portable.....We'll see how it does......

Sounds like everyone else is using those GMRS hand talkies.......

Since I have some Best Buy awards certs burning a hole in my "griefcase", I might pick up a couple of those as well. WTH.

HD, are you cool with the rendezvous point and time?

Steve, where do you want to meet us at?

How did you come out with Rikki?

Brian, you know you and any of your guys are welcome to come as well....Just a bunch of FNG's on the bunny trails...but we'll have fun....

Old 09-12-2007, 10:09 PM

Hope that aux. antenna works out -- I went and bought four of those Midland units you were talking about. Jay and I tried them out on the drive, and the small antenna that came with it was useless -- we couldn't talk across the drive! I think we're going to go w/ a less cool unit, and a larger magnetic whip antenna.

Thanks for the offer - but the last Saturday of the month? You gotta be crazy.

Old 09-12-2007, 10:25 PM

So...are you still talking citizens band.....like a mobile,cig plug and magnetic antenna?

Old 09-12-2007, 11:27 PM

I'd skip the hand held CB.They are useless inside a vehicle and not much better even with the remote antenna. I have an old 20 ch cobra that has been tweaked and has a cig lighter plug and a magnetic antenna. It's to big to install, but if someone needs it, I can bring it.

I have a smaller 40 Ch Cobra that I'm going to find a place to install in the H3 this week and think I will mount my 4' firestick to the rear bumper. If I have time I'll take the CB to the CB shop in McKinney and have it tweaked and tuned (I haven’t seen my SWR meter in a few years).

I also have a GMRS that I normally leave in the glove box.

I’m fine with whatever for the Gilmer trip.

Quick Reply: Barnwell Mountain (Gilmer, TX) Off Road Run Saturday 09/29/07