PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad engine or head gasket

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 02:21 PM
Default Bad engine or head gasket

Just bought a 2006 H3 owner said needs an engine. I bought the hummer sight unseen had it shipped. Was the color, rims and leather I wanted . I know the bad history with the head so figured for the money I cold put a new motor in it but.....When it showed up and transport company started it was smoke all over ( i think steam ) no power . Owner said it over heated had a leak in the radiator that got worse.

Now I thinking just a head gasket ? But I guess if I am doing the head gasket now would be the time to replace the head found some on ebay refinished with harden seat for under $600. Also would the bottom end be gone or just a couple of oil flushes ?

Any thoughts , not originally a hummer guy but couldn't afford a good running one. Even if dealer replaced the head more then likely was another bad factory head ??

thanks
Jaws

Old 12-05-2017, 07:51 PM

Do a compression test before you take it a part. it may not be accurate but it would be good to know

Old 12-06-2017, 10:36 AM

Once again here we go lol!

Welcome!

2006 H3 check
Milage?
CEL?
Radiator has hole or crack?
Smoke all over?

There is way to many unknowns here....
It would be nearly impossible to offer any help without your first doing tests and verify what some of the conditions and issues are.
I'm a true believer in the helping of others and sharing information and experience on the forum but first you need to actually check over this vehicle.

Chris

Old 12-06-2017, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

What Happy H just said.

It is highly unlikely you were looking at steam if the vehicle was just started, they take many minutes to build up heat in the cooling system.... unless coolant was leaking from someplace that it could drip onto the exhaust.

When a radiator leaks, you replace it before you continue to drive the vehicle and cook the engine.

So yep, open the hood, crawl underneath and do a thorough inspection. Get some help if this is not your forte.

Old 12-07-2017, 05:12 PM

I took i into my Local Mechanic , Reasonable Rates good work and I do trust him with the jobs to big for me. His diagnoses Get a new motor.

177k miles just was a whole in the radiator last owner said when running lots of bottom end noise as well , with oil fill cap off smoked like a steam engine. Again advised don't recommend just head gasket.

So my question would be New or Re manufactured I am leaning reman which I am pricing about a 1/3 more?

Any suggestions or well respected suppliers I'm all ears. LS! ?

Thanks
Jaws

Old 12-08-2017, 10:54 AM

I'd pull that puppy out put it on an engine support mount and tear it down.
I'd have the heads thoroughly tested and any necessary work done to them. I'd get myself a short block at the very least and transfer all my stuff to that.
Of course if time, cash and know how got in the way then I,d purchase a crate 3.5 and just stab it in the bay.
I,m more for going the stab it in method at this point lol! 177K is a hunk of tarmac covered.

Old 12-08-2017, 11:09 AM

I'm basing this off your above statement that your trusted mechanic suggested replacement. I still feel that the engine should be thoroughly vetted and figure out if there are any codes, symptoms that can be diagnosed and repaired. But, I do get that some times replacement is cheaper and wiser in the long run.

Old 12-08-2017, 01:02 PM

Both replies valued Never pulled or tore an engine down but there is always a first. I having the garage run me some numbers on what he can find.

you either have time or money. I retired I got plenty of time will keep you guys posted thanks for inputs