PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Acetone in your gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 10:38 AM
Banned
Default @ Rajul_Al_Hummer Rajul_Al_Hummer

ahh,,,yeah thats the reality of it i fear,,, but with no damage claimed, i will try!!!

i can always use some solvent!!

tom

oh i wonder, do i just measure fluid oz, the volume, not weight? am i a dummy? how?

tom

Old 06-11-2010, 02:23 PM
rsc

The only thing that I would worry about is whether the acetone is compatible with the fuel lines, seals, etc. Doesn't sound like it would hurt the engine itself, and sounds like it's worth a try. (I would, but unfortunately I'm heading overseas for work again).

Old 06-11-2010, 02:24 PM
rsc

Originally Posted by drtom
ahh,,,yeah thats the reality of it i fear,,, but with no damage claimed, i will try!!!

i can always use some solvent!!

tom

oh i wonder, do i just measure fluid oz, the volume, not weight? am i a dummy? how?

tom
Should be in fluid ounces, get a shot glass or other high-tech measuring cup.

Old 06-11-2010, 04:04 PM

This has been tried before, I grabbed a quote from somebody who did testing...

As a former mechanic I found this experiment to be of great interest. I was unfortunately a victim to the early testimony here that said acetone does not harm engine parts.

I added acetone as recommended to both my 1996 Honda Accord wagon and saw increased miles right away. I also put it in my 1997 Dodge Ram 1500. After several tanks in my truck (and a little better mileage) I found my number 1 injector showed up as failing. Shortly after that I was talking to John Bedini about the better mileage I was getting and then he said, "yeah, but it will kill your injectors." Then I laughed and told him this just happened to me.

So this weekend I went up to the cottage and my Honda would not start again. Had to tow it home 100 miles and go home early. Turns out my fuel pump was gone. The mechanic asked me, have you used injector cleaner in your car? I told him about the Acetone. He said, Honda pumps never go unless you damage them like this.

So I conclude that this added mileage is certainly not worth the damage it causes. And I suspect that we only read the initial reports here and not the long haul uses of acetone.

Be warned.

Old 06-11-2010, 04:24 PM
rsc

Thanks for posting that, I figured it could possibly, maybe, sorta, might not be good for something somewhere along the way. Although, Honda seems more affected? Wonder how the parts in the H3 do in the long run.

Old 06-11-2010, 07:51 PM

wow thanks for posting that, I have only found one thing so far that acetone did nothing to improve mpg, nothing about ruining anything else. mmmm to try or not to try

Old 06-11-2010, 08:24 PM

I guess you learn something new every day. i thought Acetone destroys plastic. is it worth the extra MPG's? 14-17mpg's for a full time 4wd is good enough for me.

Old 06-13-2010, 12:27 PM
Thumbs down

Hi all,
I have been a mech all my life, rebuilt more motors, trans, basically every part of the car. I can tell you one thing about acetone in the gas, acetone will swell and destroy ANY rubber o-ring in the fuel system. I had a gentleman who did this in a motorcycle and I had to replace all fuel lines and any o-ring in the fuel system. DON’T DO IT!!!!!

If you want something that cleans injectors and is good for your system, go get you some SeaFoam from your local auto parts dealer. I have been using SeaFoam for years and it works marvelously.
I can’t stress enough to NOT use acetone!!

Old 06-13-2010, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by CCWorks
Hi all,
I have been a mech all my life, rebuilt more motors, trans, basically every part of the car. I can tell you one thing about acetone in the gas, acetone will swell and destroy ANY rubber o-ring in the fuel system. I had a gentleman who did this in a motorcycle and I had to replace all fuel lines and any o-ring in the fuel system. DON’T DO IT!!!!!

If you want something that cleans injectors and is good for your system, go get you some SeaFoam from your local auto parts dealer. I have been using SeaFoam for years and it works marvelously.
I can’t stress enough to NOT use acetone!!
What kind of motorcycle was it? also the year of it? Did this bike have carburators or was it fuel injected? And this thread is about getting more mpg's not something to clean injectors. It sounds like your talking about that in your second paragraph

Old 06-13-2010, 08:35 PM

Also acetone is sold in a plastic bottle, I just picked up some at walmart for .97 cents

Quick Reply: Acetone in your gas tank