PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5 Speed Manual vs 4 Speed Automatic

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 12:10 AM
Default RE: 5 Speed Manual vs 4 Speed Automatic

Thanks everyone for the reply's I'm pretty new to off roading so it sounds like the automatic is the way to go maybe in a few years if I need it I could trade it in and get a manual. Anyway I have a few more questions I will ask in other threads, this seams to be a great place to learn about Hummers from experienced users.

Old 10-23-2008, 06:07 AM

Incidentally, with regard to availability of a 5 speed, though I could be wrong, I got the impression that the dealer ordered only one 'base' model so he could advertise what might otherwise be considered a lowball price. I happily took it off his hands. As others have suggested, mpg aside, I suspect an auto might be better for off roading - enjoy!

Old 10-23-2008, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator

When I bought mine, it was 1 of 2 5-speeds in the entire Chicago area, the other being the now-discontinued green one, which I regret not waiting for, but I got lucky and found the 5-speed.

That being said and having driven both of them, I prefer the automatic, especially in traffic. If you commute to a city every day, the 5-speed makes you despise driving stick after a while. If you live in a more suburban environment and do not have to commute as much, the 5-speed is nice.

The biggest issue I have had is finding people that know how to work on it. It's been a nightmare for me. Luckily all of the kinks were worked out and the drivetrain is in top condition.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:33 AM

I just bought a 2008 with 5 speed. Drives nice, no problems. I have driven stick for over 40 years. The only complaint came from the wife. She pointed out that my teenage stepson can't drive a stick. That clinched the deal for me.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:28 PM

Hi everyone. I'm in the same boat. I'm looking to purchase a HUMMER in the near future and am indecisive on which transmission to buy. I am partial to manual trannys as I've driven many in my lifetime....'01 Camaro SS, '01 Corvette Z06, '06 Caddy CTS, and a '98 Jeep Cherokee. I tend to think I'd lean towards the manual, however I'd like to hear what others think? Thank you.

Old 10-26-2008, 01:02 PM

I wouldn't have bought my H3 if they hadn't been able to find one with a stick. I've owned 5 vehicles prior to my H3 and only the Blazer was an automatic. After driving that for 5 years, I was ready to go back to driving a stick and I still love it as much as I used to. Sure it can be a pain in stop and go highway traffic but that aside it's more fun to drive than an automatic.

Old 10-27-2008, 04:33 AM

The chances of finding a manual w/ adventure pkg are very slim. I know of only a couple and they were special orders. There wasn't one on a lot in the country when I bought mine.

I don't get any better mileage with the manual than most report getting with the auto, but I'm not light footed.

The pros /cons otheres have listed are pretty accurate.

One con for autos is that on extreame inclines they can lose presure and quit utell they level out again.

With the manual you can leave the x-fer case in low and start out in 2nd or 3rd if you don't need the lower gearing. Saves a lot of stopping to shift the x-fer case.

As far a manuals go,the clutch isn't bad and it'sprety easy to drive in traffic.

Valets always jump out and have to close the hood because they find the hood release before they find the brake release.

I just came to the realization that I've been driving manuals for almost 20 years and now I feel old.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:31 AM

ORIGINAL: Steve #1
The chances of finding a manual w/ adventure pkg are very slim. I know of only a couple and they were special orders.
What happened to the old days when it seemed everybody ordered their new car from the factory?

Valets always jump out and have to close the hood because they find the hood release before they find the brake release.
Exactly what I did when I went for my test drive!

Old 10-27-2008, 11:46 PM

They put the 4l60e automatic behind v8s with upwards of 345 horsepower in other gm models. This manual transmision never was to my knowledge except the 2.9 four banger and the I-5. The Automatic is tried and true and I dont like pumping pedals so much in traffic.