PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 H3 starting issues!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 12:28 PM
Default 2006 H3 starting issues!

I have a 2006 Hummer H3. I used to be very in love with it but now I want to get rid of it. It is fast becoming undependable. With no indication, it will not start. I can wait ten minutes and then it will start. Very annoying because I am so on the go I do not have ten minutes to wait for the car to be in the mood to start. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Old 05-02-2011, 01:13 PM

Let me guess, you put the key in, and try to start the truck, and everything comes on electronics wise, but the engine does not turn over, the starter doesn't make any noise. Is it like everything that's supposed to come on when you put the key in the "on" position does, and when you twist it to "start" absolutely nothing happens?

When I did the remote start and alarm on my truck it the first H3 I'd ever done, and my dealers (alarm and remote start dealer) diagrams were not one hundred percent accurate. Everything was fine most of the time, but ever once in awhile I would remote start it, my remote would beep, the LCD on it would show the truck was running, but when I got to the truck it would not start and acted exactly like I described at the start of my post. Upon looking into it, it would not start for exactly ten minutes from the time I tried to remote start it.

In the end what ended up happening was that because of the way I hooked it up I was triggering the ignition lock out which is a security feature to prevent the vehicle from being stolen if certain systems are tampered with. If your truck is acting the way I described, then I'm almost sure this is your problem too. Do you have an aftermarket alarm or remote start? If so, then it's possible your "brain" has gotten programmed somehow or has started to go bad.

If you don't have an aftermarket alarm or remote start then its possible your factory alarm module is going bad, or has gone bad. Do all your doors lock and unlock fine, and can you set the alarm off by sitting in the truck, locking the doors, waiting for the security light on the dash to come on, and then manually unlocking the door and opening it? First thing I would do if this is a new problem is stick your head up under the steering wheel down near the pedals and see if you might have kicked any wires loose or pulled anything out of its connection.

Old 05-02-2011, 01:58 PM

I have not installed an alarm. Everything on the H3 is original from the factory. I have read a few other posts of similar issues and have been leaning toward the factory security system. Is there any way to test the alarm module? How expensive to replace if that is the problem?

Old 05-02-2011, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by AmyK
I have not installed an alarm. Everything on the H3 is original from the factory. I have read a few other posts of similar issues and have been leaning toward the factory security system. Is there any way to test the alarm module? How expensive to replace if that is the problem?
So you don't get any engine/starter noise when turning the key? I don't have access to a parts catalog, at the moment, so I'm not sure on cost. Try calling a dealer, getting a part number, and looking around online.

Old 05-02-2011, 03:15 PM

When I put the key in the ingition to try to start it it sounds like it wants to start but just does not engage to crank and run. But if I wait ten minutes it will start or it has each time. It started this last summer, it did it two or three times in late August but then it did not do it all winter and started doing it again in March. It is spuratic but is becoming more frequent. I have noticed twice that the security light has come on and stayed on. But those two times have been unrelated to when the car would not start. Still very frustrated at this point. I do like the car but I have to have something I can depend on.

Old 05-02-2011, 03:30 PM

When I put the key in the ingition to try to start it it sounds like it wants to start but just does not engage to crank and run. But if I wait ten minutes it will start or it has each time. It started this last summer, it did it two or three times in late August but then it did not do it all winter and started doing it again in March. It is spuratic but is becoming more frequent. I have noticed twice that the security light has come on and stayed on. But those two times have been unrelated to when the car would not start. Still very frustrated at this point. I do like the car but I have to have something I can depend on.
Understandable. If you find the right place you can get your factory security module bypassed with an aftermarket alarm/remote start for about $300-500 depending on what you want. That includes install, new louder alarm horn under the hood, door triggers hooked up, etc.

I personally have a really nice Compustar remote with about a 4k foot range with a backlit LCD and everything. I also have the module that allows me to start, lock/unlock, and track my truck from my phone. It's a pretty pricey setup if it were to be done for a customer but I did it myself and paid supplier prices.

I'm honestly not sure what a dealer would want you fix this but you may pay through the nose.

You're not in the Cleveland area by any chance are you?

Old 05-02-2011, 03:41 PM

Clarification...does the engine turn over but does not start.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by RKSmith163
Clarification...does the engine turn over but does not start.
Well if it IS the ignition lockout from the security module, you'll get all the systems starting up like normal, but turning the key to "start" will not turn the engine over, or even grind the starter, nothing. If you move the key to on, let everything start up, and then twist it as far as it will go to "start" you shouldn't get anything at all.

I'm still trying to get clarification on exactly what it's doing. Too bad it's not in the Cleveland area they could bring it by the shop.

Old 10-25-2013, 11:35 AM

I have same prob with my 2006 H3. It just happened to me twice in a row so now waiting two different ten minute waits to start again. Please someone help with real fix. People say you can get around it but no one knows how. Including dealership. I need this lame H3 to be reliable at every start. Not hoping it will start every time I try to start it. Please help

Old 10-30-2013, 07:16 AM

Happened to me again. This time now Its made me late to work. I need this non reliable amaerican made hummer out of my life. So frikin lame