PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help - Starting Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 02:16 PM
Default Help - Starting Issues

Hello Everyone,

I enjoy driving my H2, but in the last week I have started experiencing problems starting. When the key is in the ignition and turned to start the car, one of three things occurs:

1. Nothing, but all accessories come on.
2. The car turns over but does not fire.
3. The car starts immediately.

If you play around with it for a minute or two, it eventually starts. The problem is intermittent and has occurred at all times of day and/or night. Now I am out in the middle of nowhere, two hours from the nearest Hummer dealer, so I took the car to a GM Goodwrench dealer. They told me that it is throwing several communication fault codes saying the computer can't communicate with various parts of the car.

Now I have aftermarket lights, dvd player, radio and the DRL headlight modification (the DRL is also throwing a code). They told me that in this situation, GM recommends disconnecting each aftermarket item and testing the car to see if the wiring is shorting out something, etc. prior to testing any original equipment. He said that will take forever and cost and arm and a leg on my car. So he is asking what do I want to do.

I have no clue, I am only a pre-tend weekend mechanic. My first thought is to remove the DRL light mod wiring and see how it does after that. It may have wiring exposed after the car has previously been worked on. We will see.

I guess the next step is to get an OBD scanner this weekend and when this happens again see the exact codes it is throwing and look them up. It would seem to me that if the car has trouble communicating with various parts, I would be curious to see if the communications with said devices are all routed through one communication/computer module/relay. If so, I think I can find the problem child. If not, God help me.

Anyone have any thoughts? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 09-03-2009, 05:51 PM

I would bet your igntion switch is going bad. They are not very expensive.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:45 AM

Yeah, you may be right about that. I have decided not to use the GM Goodwrench guys (actually a Cadillac dealer) up here in Quincy, IL. The guy told me the car is the same as a Yukon but different body. While they do share many of the same components, I know that statement is not true and shows they don't know what they are looking it.

I then called Jim Lynch Hummer in St. Louis and they were very helpful. They mentioned quite a few issues that it may be, all issues are particular to the H2. One was the ignition and possibly starter. The second was a sensor that only allows the car to attempt to start when in park. They stated when that starts to fail you can get some of these strange starting problems also. Third, it could simply be a communication control module failing. But they agreed that starting with the accessories was not the right approach since they have all worked perfectly for years. You should be able to isolate. Does not make sense that their is a grounding problem with the accessories otherwise the car should have experienced electrical problems while running once started, which is not the case.

So I shall from now on take my H2 down to St. Louis to the Hummer dealer for all the love and attention to detail she needs.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:49 AM
Default Problems Starting Hummer H2

I noticed your thread and I have started having Starting problems with my H2. I drive it, put it in park, maybe sit for a bit running then turn it off to run into the store ( maybe 5 minutes ) come out try to crank it and nothing. All electronics come on but it doesn't start. I do hear a slight scratching sound as I turn the key all the way over but nothing else. ( Dead ). We have replaced the Starter, Starter Solenoid, Neutral Safety switch, with no fix to the issue. It will crank eventually after sitting 10 minutes or so. Did you ever find what the exact issue was?

Old 09-01-2013, 10:49 AM

i have the same issue also...anybody,please advise....