PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 H1 cranking but not firing

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 02:26 PM
Default 1999 H1 cranking but not firing

I have a 99 6.5 turbo diesel. It will crank and crank and crank but not fire(no smoke out exhaust). I looked at all fuses and they are good. I have no fuel pressure at the schrader valve because the lift pump is not running when I turn the ignition switch, but if I put 12V directly to the lift pump, it will run and build pressure at the schrader valve. If I leave the 12V on the fuel lift pump and try to crank it, I'm still not getting any engine fire.
Does anyone have any ideas on what my problem is? Initially I thought it was the lift pump, but like I said, it runs with 12V. Could it be the PCM not communication to the lift pump and fuel pump?

Thanks,
JON

Old 04-30-2016, 04:05 PM

99.99% its a bad PMD. Take your spare pmd of if the glove box and plug it in,that should fix it. If you dont have a spare pmd in the glove box that could be your first problem. Big Dog Offroad sells a pmd that is the same price as everyone elce but it has a life time warranty. If the engine cranks and no smoke comes out then its allmost allways the pmd. There is a thread on amgenerals.com called everything you need to know about a pmd that you should check out. Even if a pmd is bad the lift pump should still come on long enough to have 7-10 psi fuel pressure then cut out.

Old 04-30-2016, 05:49 PM

Thanks for your help.
The PMD was relocated prior to me purchasing it. I found it relocated under the passenger wheel well, wet!. It has a lot of corrosion inside of the plug. I'm going to attempt to clean and retry, but my guess is I need to replace it. Where is the best place to purchase this part?
Also, like you said, I though the lift pump should still be running when I turn the key? Unless the excessive moisture/corrosion in the PMD plug caused something else to fail?
Thanks again,
JON

Old 04-30-2016, 06:04 PM

One of my first mod after recently purchasing my 02 wagon. I relocated my PMD by the batteries and the heat sink is in the wheel well.
https://pensacoladiesel.com/product/...md-cooler-kit/

Old 04-30-2016, 07:42 PM

Jon- the absoulite worst place for the pmd is in the wheel well. I would get the relocate kit from big dog offroad with the new extension cable. The fuel lift pump should have 7-10 psi fuel pressure with the key on wether the pmd is bad or not. You might have a blown ignition fuse or a witing issue not puting power to the lift pump. Where are you located at?

Old 04-30-2016, 08:06 PM

I'm going to try dielectric grease on the plug tomorrow and relocate it. If it doesn't work, I will have to buy a new pmd. I agree, I feel like the lift pump should be running. I'll check fuses again.. I'm located in Cincinnati, Ohio.
Thanks

Old 05-01-2016, 01:33 PM

Thanks for all you help.
After cleaning out the corrosion on the plug to the pmd. I applied some dielectric grease and plugged everything back together, and the truck fired right up.
I know need to relocate the pmd somewhere safe and clean. Where do you all recommend I put this unit?
If they are relocated, do you still have problems with them going bad; should I still have a spare in the glove box?

Jon

Old 05-01-2016, 02:32 PM

Not in the wheel well and definitely not anywhere near the injection pump. Depending on model year and personal preference it varies a little bit. The battery hold down bracket is ok, the windshield frame is ok, window washer revisor on some models. anywhere dry and cleanish. And yes you need to get a spare for the glove box and test it first and make sure it works. Pmd'd normally only go out when you are taking the wife out to dinner in the rain/ snow wearing nice cloths and at the worst time possible.

Old 05-01-2016, 08:56 PM
Super Moderator

And not always, but usually they give you some notice. ( truck will die and not start, then 30 minutes later it will start and run fine ) once this starts you are driving on borrowed time.

Old 05-13-2016, 10:00 PM

We also sell the relocation kit (wiring harness and heat sync for mounting) separately from our PMD kit that includes the above mentioned parts and a new PMD with a lifttime warrenty. The lifetime warrenty doesn't mean it won't fail (they all do eventually), it just means you won't have to spend another $300 when it goes out. Ours are the same price as other OEM vendors for PMDs but ours have a lifetime warranty. Even if you have a remote mounted PMD you still need a spare.