New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New 04 H2 owner from OH. Looking for help and advice.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2020, 07:42 PM
Default New 04 H2 owner from OH. Looking for help and advice.

Hey fellas. I caught a solid deal on a 2004 H2 at an auction here in Cleveland. I got the truck relatively cheap considering. I haven't taken any pictures yet since leaving the auction and driving it home. On the way home though I was in for a few surprises. The break line and manifolds both went out. I knew my boy would need some TLC but I kind of feel like it may be entirely too expensive or a lost cause for the overhaul needed to restore my lost child of the night. Mind you I was like a kid in the candy store looking at my soon to be champion (HOPEFULLY) on the auction block. I had all the ideas in the world of fixing him up and hopefully someday throwing a diesel conversion in him to make him a full blown stallion. However I am starting to have second thoughts and kind of thinking it could be a mistake. So here I am coming to you my brilliant and experienced champions. The frame and parts of the body have surface rust something similar to lot rot. The frame from what I am told is still solid and will perform. The truck has 268k on the dash which explains why I got it so cheap. Ever since I was a kid I knew I wanted a hummer. I really planned to make this a purpose built off road rig but the way things are shaping up its making me kind of second guess should I pour all this time and money into it and it falls apart. I had my body repair guy come by the shop where its being repaired to see what type of magic he can work. However he told me that rust is like cancer. Once it forms on a significant portion of the truck and continues to spread it would be too far gone. I trust his opinion since he has worked on my BMW's in the past. I had some ideas of getting a salvaged truck and stripping it for parts but is it even worth the trouble. Well that's enough for now i'll take some pictures and post them when he returns home and get your opinions. Thank you guys for taking the time to read my long winded post. Stay tuned for updates. Have a great weekend!

Old 02-21-2020, 10:10 PM

Welcome to HF

Old 02-22-2020, 11:58 AM

welcome to HF take your time and find everything that wrong with it . it will be worth the time when its all fixed and running trust me . my H2 its a 04 too with over 200k miles runs good and i just got another 2005 SUT from the auction that does not even run for a 6x6 project ...

Old 02-22-2020, 04:10 PM

Welcome and question, Why not head back to the auction and get the DMax for the conversion. Instead of spending time and money on a worn out drivetrain. It got you home thats a plus already.