PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New member looking for H1 wagon

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 08:41 PM
Default New member looking for H1 wagon

Wanted to introduce myself as well as hope to get some good leads on a well sorted H1 wagon. MY preference is a blk truck with leather and already some nice mods, wheels, stereo, exhaust, ecu upgrades etc.

I have owned two H1's both open tops one a 97.5 and a 99. I daily drove my the 1997.5 from new to 55,000 miles. Loved that truck. She had 40' swamper and tons of aftermarket access. Back in my youth I rode the surf on my stand up jet ski and used the rig on the beach over the dunes every weekend. That started my love affair with the H1.

I am in a postion to buy another H1 and trying to decide between a 99-2003, 04 or Alpha. Or what my wife will let me get away with Thinking of rather than the alpha maybe an 04 (for the newer interior) and send the truck to Predator for the newer version Duramx conversion with 500 hp and 1000lbs of torque. Conversion is $35k so still b e priced under most Alpha's. That is best case senerio if my financial plan comes together.

The other option (if I cannot selll the wife on spending tons of money on yet another car) is buying a well sorted 99-03 and then waiting to do a conversion later. Anyone have experience with the newer duramax? I have driven several trucks with it but not the H1 and must say the power is so much better than the 6.5 standard motor.

Anyone know any good trucks for sale? Eurocar OC is cornering the market on Alpha's and driven prices up 30% in just the last six months. Any advice or thoughts on how I might proceed would be much appreciated.

Thanks Mike

Old 11-07-2011, 11:24 PM
Super Moderator

Have cash so you can move fast. Tilo buys everything with under 20,000 miles on it very quickly. Alphas with over 40,000 miles are moving much slower and not bringing the premiums the low mileage trucks are. Wagons are selling quicker and for more also. The 04 s have the CAT harness and module. Supposedly 10 more HP but they have had power issues. I would do a Duramax conversion on an older truck, don't think I would on an 04. The Duramax in an H1 is amazing. Great acceleration and torque.

Old 11-08-2011, 05:59 AM
Smile Haha Eurocar OC awesome funny!

I just got my wagon after 1.5 years of researching and hemming & hawing over wether it was the right thing to do, am I insane, is everyone else right and I'm a nutter and just need to get a brand new BMW or a porsche cayenne with the cash!?! What to do, what to do!

A few months ago I had the itch really bad and I just felt it with this one hummer on the market, and without making the "buying a used hummer" guide from the flash-off road site my bible, I drove straight in! Boy was that a wild ride! I ended up befriending Dave from Hummer Parts Guy online parts store and he checked the vin for me and we spoke on the phone for two hours! Let me tell You guys - EVEN HE said I've got an amazing story just in the first week of owning my beast! I will figure out this site at another time and eventually write the beginning of probably what should be a screenplay because let me tell you - with these cars it had better be a life-long love affair that you're ready to commit to!

I will just give a tiny hint as to the beginning of the beginning of the insanity I went through - THE DEALERSHIP TIPPED OFF THE FUEL TANK IN MY HUMMER WITH GAS NOT DIESEL!!!!!!! And that's ONLY THE BEGINNING!!! if you google that (gas in a diesel) the word that comes up is "detonation".....I think you guys got the gist already. Anyway, if it were any car but ole "el Diabla" as I named her, I would be a huge black spot in the middle of the road between Scottsdale and vegas!

Thank god this wasnt any other car IN THE WORLD because me and my supermodel world champion weightlifter girly-girl girlfriend (no not that kind of girlfriend - and yes I am a girl) would have gone up in flames! So we drove, um, yeah, stupid me with the most furious opposition from every mechanical aspect of the truck (smoking, overheating, brush guard practically melting!) a total of about A HUNDRED MILES in the 100++ degree heat of the desert and mountains before we figured what it was and switched to AUX tank!!! Thank god some heroes in a dodge ram diesel were behind us and kindly offered to split up and drive the next hundred or so miles to vegas with us because they thought I bit off more than I could chew!

Long story as short as I could possibly make it - basically the dudes saved our lives in addition to the DIESEL FILLED AUX TANK!, and the insane durability of the beasts they call H1's! I am so in love now more than ever I can't even stand it! I want to buy every junker or half junker out there and build my own little army of loveliness! If there ever was a doubt in my mind about these vehicles, or if I made a slightly hasty decision in not kicking the tires enough with mine before I bought it, that is all now so far from my mind! If the old girl needs $20k I'm going to run to the bank to withdrawal! I'm hooked to say the least!

All of that being said, here's the funny part - so the past few years I have been eyeing the inventory at EuroCar OC as I'm sure many of you have. I have bid on several hummers (way too low of a range to win), and a few cayennes here or there. In doing so, I have exchanged many a emails with the guys at the dealership regarding what I want and what they have, prices, etc. I always felt like the were sooooooooo on the highest end of the price margin, but more power to them - they have great stuff, seem to stand by them, and I'm just too much of a dealmaker to be a good perspective buyer. Nevertheless I really appreciate their taste in cars & I know they do a good business.

Ironically, right when I got home from the near death trap in the desert, I got an email from the dude at Eurocar asking me if I still wanted a cayenne, etc. I could have deleted it and never replied, but the guy is cool so I told him I'd just bought my dream hummer and just drove it home and it saved my life and I was thrilled! His reply was absolutely HIGHlarious! He said "oh, great, send it over I'll buy it from you!" I was doubled over laughing! I remember some exchanges with him when I remarked about the very steep prices for H1's and he was like "WHAT?!? HELLOOOOO WE SHIP EM OVERSEAS AND MAKE A MINT! Sell them for hundreds of thousands!" SOOOO funny he was like ready to scoop it up from me before I could even get it smogged! I didn't want to say to him, but I was thinking "yeah, OVER MY DEAD BODY - TWICE!"

I don't know if he actually knew the hummer I had bought and was eying it or what, but I do know that 3hummers is "the bomb" and a wealth of knowledge and everything he said about Eurocar helping jack up the prices is DEAD ON! I say, if you really want one, ignore some of the normal used car buying idiosyncrasies we have and grab one with uneven tread and clunky brakes or one that needs a bit of work AND JUMP ON THAT BABY!!! Mine needs some this and that but jesus, people, if you bought a used Ferrari just a bit of maintenance stuff on that will run you a dime (poker speak for $10k!)!!! How can we not expect something similar from such a wonderful machine that will probably rock your world in a thousand more ways than a Ferrari ever could!

I ended up finding out that mine has an extra $30-70k worth of custom stereo and lighting and oh my god there is nothing like it! Okay so it may need a bit of fine tuning, but these are seriously maintenance-intensive trucks and that regimine MUST be adhered to. I wish you all the luck in finding your baby, but most of all convincing your wife that you are about to enter a life-long love affair and that she is going to have to share you no matter what.....with your hummer! GOOD LUCK & GOD$$$$$PEED!!! ;-)

Old 11-08-2011, 10:57 PM
Super Moderator

Hey Perantes, glad you love the truck. Dave Oberer is a great guy and more than willing to help anyone with an H1. I wanted to stop by when I drove through Vegas but after a week in Moab I was ready to get home. Dropped my buddy off at the MGM and headed back to Orange County. I will try to get by your place next trip to Vegas and grab that drink.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by 3hummers
Have cash so you can move fast. Tilo buys everything with under 20,000 miles on it very quickly. Alphas with over 40,000 miles are moving much slower and not bringing the premiums the low mileage trucks are. Wagons are selling quicker and for more also. The 04 s have the CAT harness and module. Supposedly 10 more HP but they have had power issues. I would do a Duramax conversion on an older truck, don't think I would on an 04. The Duramax in an H1 is amazing. Great acceleration and torque.
Thanks for the reply. I am thinking also that is the way to go. Looking for a 2001-2003 Wagon (not abused). gonna replace at Predator with the new improved 6 speed allision and durmax. Like one with clean interior and body. High mile OK considering the motor swap .

Old 11-09-2011, 07:13 PM
Wink

Originally Posted by Perantes
I just got my wagon after 1.5 years of researching and hemming & hawing over wether it was the right thing to do, am I insane, is everyone else right and I'm a nutter and just need to get a brand new BMW or a porsche cayenne with the cash!?! What to do, what to do!

A few months ago I had the itch really bad and I just felt it with this one hummer on the market, and without making the "buying a used hummer" guide from the flash-off road site my bible, I drove straight in! Boy was that a wild ride! I ended up befriending Dave from Hummer Parts Guy online parts store and he checked the vin for me and we spoke on the phone for two hours! Let me tell You guys - EVEN HE said I've got an amazing story just in the first week of owning my beast! I will figure out this site at another time and eventually write the beginning of probably what should be a screenplay because let me tell you - with these cars it had better be a life-long love affair that you're ready to commit to!

I will just give a tiny hint as to the beginning of the beginning of the insanity I went through - THE DEALERSHIP TIPPED OFF THE FUEL TANK IN MY HUMMER WITH GAS NOT DIESEL!!!!!!! And that's ONLY THE BEGINNING!!! if you google that (gas in a diesel) the word that comes up is "detonation".....I think you guys got the gist already. Anyway, if it were any car but ole "el Diabla" as I named her, I would be a huge black spot in the middle of the road between Scottsdale and vegas!

Thank god this wasnt any other car IN THE WORLD because me and my supermodel world champion weightlifter girly-girl girlfriend (no not that kind of girlfriend - and yes I am a girl) would have gone up in flames! So we drove, um, yeah, stupid me with the most furious opposition from every mechanical aspect of the truck (smoking, overheating, brush guard practically melting!) a total of about A HUNDRED MILES in the 100++ degree heat of the desert and mountains before we figured what it was and switched to AUX tank!!! Thank god some heroes in a dodge ram diesel were behind us and kindly offered to split up and drive the next hundred or so miles to vegas with us because they thought I bit off more than I could chew!

Long story as short as I could possibly make it - basically the dudes saved our lives in addition to the DIESEL FILLED AUX TANK!, and the insane durability of the beasts they call H1's! I am so in love now more than ever I can't even stand it! I want to buy every junker or half junker out there and build my own little army of loveliness! If there ever was a doubt in my mind about these vehicles, or if I made a slightly hasty decision in not kicking the tires enough with mine before I bought it, that is all now so far from my mind! If the old girl needs $20k I'm going to run to the bank to withdrawal! I'm hooked to say the least!

All of that being said, here's the funny part - so the past few years I have been eyeing the inventory at EuroCar OC as I'm sure many of you have. I have bid on several hummers (way too low of a range to win), and a few cayennes here or there. In doing so, I have exchanged many a emails with the guys at the dealership regarding what I want and what they have, prices, etc. I always felt like the were sooooooooo on the highest end of the price margin, but more power to them - they have great stuff, seem to stand by them, and I'm just too much of a dealmaker to be a good perspective buyer. Nevertheless I really appreciate their taste in cars & I know they do a good business.

Ironically, right when I got home from the near death trap in the desert, I got an email from the dude at Eurocar asking me if I still wanted a cayenne, etc. I could have deleted it and never replied, but the guy is cool so I told him I'd just bought my dream hummer and just drove it home and it saved my life and I was thrilled! His reply was absolutely HIGHlarious! He said "oh, great, send it over I'll buy it from you!" I was doubled over laughing! I remember some exchanges with him when I remarked about the very steep prices for H1's and he was like "WHAT?!? HELLOOOOO WE SHIP EM OVERSEAS AND MAKE A MINT! Sell them for hundreds of thousands!" SOOOO funny he was like ready to scoop it up from me before I could even get it smogged! I didn't want to say to him, but I was thinking "yeah, OVER MY DEAD BODY - TWICE!"

I don't know if he actually knew the hummer I had bought and was eying it or what, but I do know that 3hummers is "the bomb" and a wealth of knowledge and everything he said about Eurocar helping jack up the prices is DEAD ON! I say, if you really want one, ignore some of the normal used car buying idiosyncrasies we have and grab one with uneven tread and clunky brakes or one that needs a bit of work AND JUMP ON THAT BABY!!! Mine needs some this and that but jesus, people, if you bought a used Ferrari just a bit of maintenance stuff on that will run you a dime (poker speak for $10k!)!!! How can we not expect something similar from such a wonderful machine that will probably rock your world in a thousand more ways than a Ferrari ever could!

I ended up finding out that mine has an extra $30-70k worth of custom stereo and lighting and oh my god there is nothing like it! Okay so it may need a bit of fine tuning, but these are seriously maintenance-intensive trucks and that regimine MUST be adhered to. I wish you all the luck in finding your baby, but most of all convincing your wife that you are about to enter a life-long love affair and that she is going to have to share you no matter what.....with your hummer! GOOD LUCK & GOD$$$$$PEED!!! ;-)

First off thanks for your post and feedback on your H1. Let me get this straight.........you are female and have a girlfirend and drive and H1!!! If true, every man's dream come true!

Funny you mention the Ferrari, I have owned several Ferarri's, Maseratti, Bentley and Lamborghini's. I will say the older Ferrari is very expenspemnsive to maintain. However all newer model exotics and pretty easy and run much better as long as you do the scheduled services. Those are approx $3k to $6-10k dependant upon the interval of service. Lemon cars excluded of course. You can go broke real quick trying to make a lemon a correct car.

The H1 is cheap in comparision to any exotic sports car. Parts a super cheap. Hell one F430 Ferrari spark plug from the factory is $75.00

I loved my H1's and really excited to get back where I belong

Old 11-19-2011, 11:27 AM

Found a great 98 well maintained wagon on ebay. Silver looked spotless all records and 100 miles then plan was to send to predator for new Durmax 500hp and tranny conversion. emailed for additional infoon the truck and the jacka$$ never responded. Frustrating dealing with sellers who do not respond!