Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

UPDATE: Front-end Rattle...Any Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 04:57 AM

Hey so glad that I joined this forum , as I am having exactly the same problem with my 08 H3 and I had started to notice certain things .That the noise only started after the car had warmed up , driving over humps ,only happens when you turn to the right and more on sharp turns. I was a bit concerned who to go to ,the dealer or Truck aligner? As long as it isn't doing any damage!!! I actually thought the under body plate I have fitted was coming loose. I live in FNQ Australia so can't see the dealer her fixing it up?

Old 08-29-2012, 11:28 AM

I had a rattling, vibration sound. Turned out to be a missing bolt from one of the heat shields under the front of the truck.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:30 AM

Dealer initially tried to tell me I needed new body mounts. LOL! My 07 only has 28,500 miles on it. I said LOOK HARDER.

Old 12-20-2012, 02:49 PM

Yeah I had that problem I just got it fixed last week

Old 04-17-2013, 09:14 AM

this is interesting. I have this with the used '06 I recently picked up. It's slowing being more noticeable. Wasn't sure if it was serious or now.

Originally Posted by Fever4Speed
Sounds like a trend for the H3..... AndIthink that GM is trying to sort it out fast. Read my below post to another Forum member.......

"It is most likely your stearing shaft making the noise. Mine does it after the vehicle warms up. You can feel the light thumping or rattle in the break and gas pedal. The dealer told me it was a design or component problem that GM is working on a replacement shaft for the H3. If you crawl under the H3 on the drivers side and grab the stearing shaft above the nuckle (careful things are hot in that area) you can replicate the sound by trying to wiggleyour shaft (keep your mind out of the gutter.... not what I'm talking about). I talked to the dealer here in Houston about 4 weeks ago and he told me at that time that the improved replacement parts were not yet available. let us know if this is the same problem you are having. Mine is a 2007 model."

Old 04-19-2013, 08:11 PM

I have/ had this issue on my 2006 with ~81k. I took it in to the dealer and they wrote 'Customer states looseness and vibration felt in steering wheel and brake pedal when going over speed bumps or uneven pavement when driving, ck and advise.'

Then their notes "Road tested and verified several noises and feeling in brake pedal. Lubricated and re-torqued all body bushing bolts. Road tested and found intermediate steering shaft making popping type noise due to slip stick condition. Recommend replacement of intermediate steering shaft."

The diagnostic was $149.95.

Shaft $148.06 and install was $120.99

4 wheel alignment was $109.95.

Grand total of $541.72 after tax or whatever.

On the bright side they fixed the noise thing but the alignment sucks as now in a straight line my steering wheel is rotated about 30 degrees clockwise. I hope Courtesy Chevrolet can fix this...

Old 04-20-2013, 09:51 PM

Hi all, I've had the same symptoms getting progressively worse for over 8 months; a front end rattle every time I go over bumps, or encounter some in level ground.
I have found the symptoms in my h3 FINALLY, after having checked everything else.
I have a 2 inch lift kit which includes a special key on the torsion bars, and a spacer at the bottom of the shock absorber; between the Lower A-arm and the bottom end of the shock absorber. With the car jacked up and both front wheels hanging down (off the ground) I could grab the top of the shock absorber and shake it. It rattled with about 2 mm of mechanical play. It was apparent that the fastened rubber washer/axial bush was tightened as much as possible, but was still loose (it had bottomed out on the steel washer that holds it down. I removed the nut and washer and found the top of the shock absorber to have stuffed the shaft, having worn it down by 2-3mm on one side. I had a temporary fix to drill out the steel washer (so it won't bottom out) and tighten the rubber bush so that its tight and when I go over a bump, it's not just gonna bounce around.

Old 07-01-2013, 04:23 AM

I i had the same problem, thunking while going over small bumps. I took my 07 to the dealer and they replaced the steering shaft that Ed Rinke charged me 800 bucks for. A popping developed later and they told me it was a bad steering bushing, the cost would be 800 bucks AGAIN! I said screw em and now 7 months later the thunking is coming back....fml

Old 07-01-2013, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by signess
I i had the same problem, thunking while going over small bumps. I took my 07 to the dealer and they replaced the steering shaft that Ed Rinke charged me 800 bucks for. A popping developed later and they told me it was a bad steering bushing, the cost would be 800 bucks AGAIN! I said screw em and now 7 months later the thunking is coming back....fml
If its a bad steering rack bushing: Hummer H3 Steering Rack Reinforcement Kit - OUTFITTER DESIGN

Old 07-02-2013, 08:26 AM

i should add that I had taken my car back to the dealer and they had fixed the alignment issue immediately. As suspected they did the alignment before they changed the shaft.

Regardless it's been all fixed for a couple months now with no further issues related to that.

I changed my head unit to the Pioneer App Radio 2, changed the front separates, added a new front amp. I will start my hunt for the rear driver's side interior trim panel that covers the subwoofer and add a sub (JL Audio Stealthbox) and amp.

If anyone has these for sale feel free to PM me.

Quick Reply: UPDATE: Front-end Rattle...Any Suggestions?