Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

UPDATE: Front-end Rattle...Any Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 08:50 PM

I'm with Chad on this one…this thread is pretty long to read in it's entirety…Especially when it starts in 2007, regarding 07's.

I have a similar issue with my '09. Sometimes while decelerating (off the gas, no brake), I can hear clicking coming from the front end of my rig. Not sure if it's in the engine bay or if it's suspension related. Also when going over little bumps (and I mean little) or turning (weight distribution changes from one side to the other), I can hear something to what I think is a suspension squeak. I only trail-ride (not mud or off-road) once every two months. Any clue as to what it might be?

Old 05-04-2012, 07:39 AM

Just drove my 07 h3 to bus stop with my daughter and when I pulled out and hit a few small bumps sounded like metal to metal and the whole thing going to fall apart underneath. I am looking I haven't found anything yet. All I know is I have only had this thing since Febuary and it has been to the dealer three times for transmission, torque convertor problems,(unable to fix) once for radiator change out. It is like every other GM product I have owned, no wonder they had to get bailed out. I should of known better. I am just about ready to get rid of it.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:15 PM
Question Miles?

@Nmocean, how many miles do you have on your 07 H3?

Old 05-05-2012, 08:51 PM

46000 miles

Old 05-09-2012, 08:52 PM
Post Lower Steering Column Issue on early 06 H3 and 07 H3

@Mnocean, sounds like you have the same issue as others in this thread. I have a little kick back right now in my brakes and a clank in the back either brakes and or back suppension. I have had this 08 H3 for about 11 days now. I have 53k miles on my 08.

I just read all of these pages and i'll try to provide some information so others don't have to spend two nights reading this stuff.

Information I captured from the previous pages:

The newpart # is 25900714- Shaft - Lower Steering
GM Bulletin #07-02-45-006

Part # 25900714 Shaft
Part # 26104070 Sensor

I made my service advisor show me yellow dot on the new part and the new part#25900714 on the box. GM has sent out and distinguished the new steering shaft with a splattered yellow dot on the shaft for the mechanics to tell difference betw/ old steering shaft (whitedot) and new shaft (yellowdot). Moral of the story, verify the new part number either by number or yellow color and don't believe they are always on backorder.

Part number from a 10/2007 post:
Might be a newer better part number:
2007 - H3 was described as follow: Steering/Suspension -Tapping at pedal, Lower Intermidiate Shaft is noisy. Lower Intermidiate Shaft replaced.
Part Number: 25776339. Description: Shaft 6.524.

After market lower steering shaft:
GM Steering Column Repair - Four Wheeler Magazine
After market google search criteria:
Mag: June 2008 issue of Four Wheeler
Plus:
steering shaft from Borgenson Universal

Ok, some clarification on the above information. First there is this after market lower steering shaft from Borgenson Universal (see link it was good as of tonight). Has anyone use this after market shaft seem real beefy I might try this if i can find it. Not sure how this will effect my warranties.

Note: the OEM (GM) part number ending in 714 seems to be the fix not sure if the other one maybe a new part number is better seem like only one source from previous pages.

Thanks to everyone and happy hummering.. I'd really like to know how many early model 98 H3's had this lower steering shaft issue if you did please post. Also note that link shows some good photos of the OEM parts and the Borgenson parts.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:55 PM

Would like to know how many 08 H3's had this issue please post if you had it too. (not 98) typo i'm bad.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:58 AM

Mine is not doing what is described in the pedals but I am going to check for that mark on the shaft. I too read this whole thread, tyring to gain some insight. Mine hasn't made any more noise since the first time. Tuesday, I went over this thing with a fine tooth comb, removed wheels and completely checked it out. I have found nothing. I still do not like the way the torque convertor is constantly locking and unlocking, I am going to change tranny fluid and filter and maybe a shift kit, then try a tune. I really think my H3 needs some shocks, but I can't find anything out of the ordinary

Old 05-10-2012, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by shooter25
Would like to know how many 08 H3's had this issue please post if you had it too. (not 98) typo i'm bad.
I had this same issue....the dealer replaced the lower control arm and that fixed it..I have an 08 Alpha

Old 05-13-2012, 08:35 AM

I talked to a buddy at work yesterday that has an GMC Serria 1500 dual cab pickup truck and he said it worred him until he discover it what the lower steering shaft. He added an grease insert. Not sure how you do this to it. Anyway he says to keep it greased up. I also read some where where techs were just disassemblying the bottom end of the lower steering shaft and turing it back and frouth and this will work for a while and I'm wonder after reading all these thread entries if there was not some of this going on. My buddy says that is a spline joint between the upper and lower steering columns and it need to be lubricated.

Old 05-22-2012, 05:03 PM
Default Possible Tie Rods?

mine sounded the same, didnt feel it in the pedals though. my tie rods are bad and need replaced, i have 38x15.50 tires on the way so im just going to wait and replace them with bullet proof tie rods when i get my tires on. goodluck!

Quick Reply: UPDATE: Front-end Rattle...Any Suggestions?