Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

UPDATE: Front-end Rattle...Any Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 11:38 PM
Default Front end noise - I found the problem!!!

Hey guys. I finally found the problem after a year of looking. The popping sound is coming from the sleeves, which hold the crossmember under the differential to the frame. To fix this problem, take the crossmember attached to the rear part of front differential and take the four bolts that bolt the crossmember to the frame and you will see four sleeves inside the crossmember which are loose. You have to weld them to the crossmember because the water and rust gets in there making the connection rot out. Weld the sleeves , paint the area and put it back together and the noise will be gone! The sleeves in the crossmember hold the crossmember in place and when they become loose the noise travels from the front axles to the differential to the frame when you try to stop the vehicle. It took me 30 minutes to fix it, so good luck!!! Vlado

P.S. I also have the pictures of the repair, so send the email adress and I will send to you.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:13 PM

So has anyone with an 06 experienced this??? I swear this is the same sound I have and I also read on the Colorado site that 06 had the problem there? Just redid my steering bushing, that got rid of a bunch of noise and problems but the clunking over bumps is still there? Thanks for the link to the steering shaft, this is the best price I have found around, and they ship to Hawaii!

Old 10-12-2011, 10:39 AM

no I have a h3 o8' alpha and it started around 50,000 miles. Dealer has tried all kinds of stuff even had a tech from out of state look at it. Made changes and noise is back waiting for more info.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:05 PM
Default Noise

I have the ftont end clunk/rattle under accel and braking. Sound like a bushing squak. I have gone the extra mile and bought a set of chassis ears. I'll keep you posted on what I find when I find the time to investigate.

For anybody wanting a set of chassis ears, a place on Amazon has them for $65 shipped. Blue-point (snap-on brand). They are listed as a marine stethoscope, which is strange because they are the same chassis ears made by Steelman.

Old 02-12-2012, 07:55 PM
Default Bring Back Hummers

Please like Bring Back Hummers | Facebook

Strength in numbers...

Old 03-09-2012, 07:26 AM

im having this same problem in my 08 alpha..im gonna try taking it in today

Old 03-09-2012, 12:32 PM

I called and have an appointment on monday to take it in..anyone know where I can find the TSB?

Old 04-04-2012, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator

The TSB was for 07s ONLY, some late 06s had it as well, doesn't apply to 2008s which all have the re-designed intermediate steering shaft.

Read the whole thread again. Quiz on Friday.

Oct. 1, 2007 SB# 070235006
CLUNK OR KNOCK NOISE HEARD AND/OR FELT THROUGH STEERING WHEEL OR BRAKE AND ACCELERATOR PEDALS (REPLACE LOWER STEERING [INTERMEDIATE] SHAFT). *NJ UPDATED 2/15/08

Aug. 1, 2007 SB# same as above, earlier version, different NHTSA #
CLUNK OR KNOCK NOISE HEARD AND/OR FELT THROUGH STEERING WHEEL OR BRAKE AND ACCELERATOR PEDALS (REPLACE LOWER STEERING [INTERMEDIATE] SHAFT).

So everybody with 08+ can stop posting here because it is not the same problem, it might be similar, but it is not this problem relating to the above TSBs.

Last edited by Doc Olds; 04-04-2012 at 10:08 AM.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:17 PM

To the OP or mod in this forum ... any chance someone that has been with this thread the whole way do like a small summary of updates in the first post ... I read up to about page 8 before quitting .. lol

From what I can gather its the lower intermediate steering shaft that makes this noise .... is GM replacing these under warranty? Since the part had to be updated .. or where are you guys getting your replacements? GM only? Any after market options available?

Thanx

Chad

Old 04-09-2012, 05:00 AM

Not sure who it was, but someone mentioned checking my towing hooks on the front ... and sure enough my clunking stopped

When I first bought the car they was tight to move, when I checked them just now they where both flapping about and this clunk traveled right into the car making it feel like a suspension component.

Quick Reply: UPDATE: Front-end Rattle...Any Suggestions?