Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

The Under $90 Air Intake!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by mpukr9djsocr
i love the jealous people without warranties.

ghettofab. lol. what a loser.
Your right you got me, I'm just green with jealousy that when I pop my hood my truck doesn't look like I raided the plumbing aisle at home depot with a rice rocket filter super glued on the end and when I turn the key my truck doesn't run like crap. Like yours.

totally jealous.

Old 10-16-2011, 11:53 AM

Damn BrickWurx I didn't know you were still on here!!! You been quite for a while, assumin work has been doin that to ya, so I wouldnt complain either. With this economy and people ducking out on their responsibilities you must be pretty busy... Your still in the Bounty Hunting biz right?

Old 10-17-2011, 12:55 PM
Banned

nice to see someone (brick) offer up constructive criticism instead of asuming nonsense about my setup or making stuff up.

my original assumption was right. it was a simple cleaning of the MAF that did the trick. had to search OTHER forums to find out that CRC was the MAF cleaner name. but oh well, i know its a 2 year old thread.

i also saw that Doc posted this on another thread, "If you get a PCM tune.... they program it to expect the extra air flow of an intake and know what to do with it, IMHO making it less likely a CEL will kick with an Intake and CAT back."

i guess i was right in that assumption too. and that moron Talusfan was wrong again. oh well.

magnaflow cat back to be installed tomorrow.

PCM for less to be done next week.

will post pics, and dyno results in next few weeks.

thanks.

for not much

Old 10-17-2011, 01:34 PM

DAGKANA, I still read the incoming comments from time to time. Got away from posting since my opinion of one thing or another, is about as useful as anyone else’s. While the forums have mostly good folks that write in, or those like yourself or mien, always learning, a few fellas stroll into the forums with a “know all, done that, greater than thou” mentality. It’s just not for me. Plus I went a totally different route on my second H3 than on my first.
My 06 rig had a Catback exhaust, jet chip, leveled out with 35’s, Mod air intake and enough gear to double the weight. Included huge front bumper, winch, a stereo and subs out the wazzu, hell, if I could unscrew it or pop it off the truck, I modified it! Of course, I rarely noticed an improvement in power other than the hope that things got better. While my rig looked good, performance struggled against the larger tires.
Next I picked up an 08 and slapped a lift on it from tough country. Before long, I started to rethink my upgrade process. I removed the lift and sold it on the cheap to a buddy. I did Level the truck, but only installed 33 inch tires this time. Better gas mileage, still have inline five engine power, and my articulation is way better than if I filled the fenders with 35 rubbers. I also noticed how quiet my truck was without the Catback exhaust. I welded in a stainless steel replacement, but nothing that barks off the impression of muscle or sets off that irritating droning sound at 60-65 mpg. Instead of adding a chip, or reprogramming anything, I simply placed a K&N flat filter in the factory spot.
Honestly, I think the 33’s verses 35’s made the most difference. It wouldn’t seem like that big a difference, but it matters. My brother and I can take both truck down the same trail and the slightly smaller tire can roll into the fender well just enough to clear limbs and rocks better than the 35’s, which rubbed like crazy. Its true my 06 looks better, but my 08 rides the trails easier, performs on the street with less noise, and I saved a bunch of green on mods I couldn’t tell made any difference. I even kept the radio simple, no subs or amps, just an ipod doc. I did weld up another roof rack, but this one is aluminum. Maybe I’m getting older or lazy. Or maybe I just wanted my rig to work better than it looked. Time will tell!
I love both my trucks, H3's are pretty good to go out the box I think. The one thing I truely appretiate on my 08 compaired to my 06, GM moved the window switches on the driver side door panel. Smart, very smart!

Old 10-18-2011, 07:50 AM
Super Moderator

the fumes thing was a good point. i will clean out the parts again i think.

i dont have $175 for some goof ball to make a tube. i did it on my own, and i dont want to waste $75 on a garbage flat filter when all tests indicate cones are better. i will adjust the tubing, if anyone has something positive or somewhat useful go ahead any reply.

i wont be removing anything, i wont be wasting $175 on a tube that doesnt fit the 2008's from some guy, so thanks for wasting board space.
I'd like to see those tests. Since this is a Hummer board, I do not think anyone here would be interested in car filter flows.

The $50 K&N #33-2408 flows 779 CFM at 1.5 inH2O http://www.knfilters.com/dynocharts/33-2408.pdf

The Spectre cone filter you are using on a 3.5" inlet will flow 655 CFM at 1.5 inH20. (625 w/ 3.0" and 680 w/ 4.0"). This is not 5011 protocol, but it doesn't matter based upon max motor flow rate.

Your LLR 3.7L can eat only a maximum of 360 CFM at 6200RPM. That same crappy flat filter easily feed the 5.3L with room to spare.

The Air Filter box and panel filter are not part of the problem with the 08+ GMT 345 & 355s.

On the positive side, it's your truck, enjoy your mods and good luck.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:31 PM
Banned
Default the $80 CAI for 2008 H3's

I put in a K&N flat panel filter, and noticed little gain in power, sound, and appearence.

I then went back to my original idea and made a custom CAI. looks to be the only CAI for a 2008 H3 on these boards ?

thanks to Earl at GRD for the help with the install !!!!

the sound is AMAZING. sounds like a Ferrari taking off. all out of the little 5 cyl.

and definately noticed a pick up in power. has a nice little kick just like the v8 alpha does at first throtle as well as around 50-60 mph.

nice.

Attached Thumbnails The Under  Air Intake!-intake-1.jpg   The Under  Air Intake!-intake-3.jpg   The Under  Air Intake!-intake-4.jpg   The Under  Air Intake!-intake-5.jpg   The Under  Air Intake!-intake-6.jpg  

Old 10-21-2011, 11:33 PM
Banned

here are the rest of the pics of the CAI setup.

Attached Thumbnails The Under  Air Intake!-intake-7.jpg   The Under  Air Intake!-intake-8.jpg   The Under  Air Intake!-intake-9.jpg   The Under  Air Intake!-intake-10.jpg  
Old 10-21-2011, 11:39 PM
Banned

the CEL came on and the code was P0411, secondary air intake issue. I am guessing it is the small filter i put on the air pump hose. The filter diameter was much smaller than the hose, so maybe the air pump is not getting as much air ? should i remove the filter and just put like a screen on the hose ? (hose in front of the air box going to the air pump.

? i did check the fuses and hose connections everywhere, and obviously with this code, it has nothing to do with the air intake at all.

suggestions ?

Old 10-22-2011, 06:53 AM

I've got to laugh at all of these 'do it yourselfer's' air intakes that are trying to save a buck over the Air Doc, and then can't get there rig to run right. Are you REALLY coming out ahead in the long run??

Old 10-22-2011, 11:16 AM

the CEL came on and the code was P0411, secondary air intake issue. I am guessing it is the small filter i put on the air pump hose. The filter diameter was much smaller than the hose, so maybe the air pump is not getting as much air ? should i remove the filter and just put like a screen on the hose ? (hose in front of the air box going to the air pump.

? i did check the fuses and hose connections everywhere, and obviously with this code, it has nothing to do with the air intake at all.

suggestions ?
how exactly do you figure 'it has nothing to do with the intake at all?'

You chopped the intake up then you get codes that you think have nothing to with it at all?

hmmm 1+1 = uhm wait a minute I need my calculator...

Quick Reply: The Under $90 Air Intake!