Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

The Under $90 Air Intake!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 02:23 AM

The Bumper is by Boulder Accessories. Check out eBay item number 130293344968 from autostrata.
Best price out there with free shipping! I think the original manufacturers are out of business now, so there are some deals to be had. The Ebay seller is a great group of people to work with. Very friendly, with quick service. Other sites sell the same number for 1200+ shipping!

Old 03-14-2009, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Raffi76
Doc, I have a question regarding your Air Doc system, or probably about just any. From the pictures you posted I see that the diameter of the pipe that you use is pretty much the same as the one that is currently there. The only difference I really see is that it is made out of metal.
How can it increase the air intake if the air supply hole in the air filter box is still the same ? Is there something in the pipe that increases the suction?

edit..... I was reading your website info and I now see that the snorkle is also replaced. Is your hose larger than the stock also ? I see a drill bit will be needed ? does that mean i have to drill..... I always feel ackward when any kind of drilling needs to be done on the car, especially engine parts :/
Yes, our replacement air filter box inlet snorkel is larger diameter than stock......... and funnel shaped to form the intake charge and increase flow.

Drilling is minimal and does not prevent you from placing the stock intake back on at lease end or when selling. One 1/8" hole will be drilled through the flange of the air filter box inlet and then a #6 SS Pan head screw is put through that hole to anchor the inlet snorkel. Looks like this when you are done...... see the one little tiny screw head.
Name:  DetailPicC1.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  170.8 KB

Old 03-14-2009, 12:07 PM

That does look simple enough I guess..... it does seem like the K&N filter you have (if I am not mistaken) is almost as big/or the same as my Green Filter ?

Old 03-14-2009, 01:00 PM

hey doc, is the maf housing larger on the 06's-07 than the 08's? The 4-3 inch reducer does not fit on the housing, its too big. Looks like only 3.5 will fit.

Old 03-14-2009, 04:59 PM

I seen this post and I was thrilled that someone has found another way to create a good intake for the H3, GREAT JOB!! I went out yesterday to Pep Boys and they had all of the parts in stock! I own a 2008 H3 (3.7L) and the intake works except for the mounting of the cone filter. The 2008/09 use a different filter box. I was able to use just about everything else tho. Removing the resonator box really helped with perfromance!

Now Im just gunna drop in a replacement k&n filter and call it done.

Much better performance and looks!! Ill add pictures this week

Old 03-14-2009, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by murderedout53
I seen this post and I was thrilled that someone has found another way to create a good intake for the H3, GREAT JOB!! I went out yesterday to Pep Boys and they had all of the parts in stock! I own a 2008 H3 (3.7L) and the intake works except for the mounting of the cone filter. The 2008/09 use a different filter box. I was able to use just about everything else tho. Removing the resonator box really helped with perfromance!

Now Im just gunna drop in a replacement k&n filter and call it done.

Much better performance and looks!! Ill add pictures this week
The 4 inch reducers fit ? mine were way too big.....

Old 03-16-2009, 02:39 PM

The 4" reducer is just rubber, so if you over tighten the hose clamp you can make it fit on the tube snuggly. You also have to insert a tube adapter into the intake pipe (via drilling a new whole and using part #8711) to mount the vacume line to the intake. I used standard 1/2" heater hose. Ill post pics soon...

Also with the 2008 since the air box is much different, Im using a K&N drop in filter...should be good enough

Old 03-16-2009, 07:03 PM

The 2008 drop in air filter system is technically a better unit. We used the specific filter shown because unlike the round K&N that has a flat front end that forces air to move around the sides before entering the manifold tubing, the Spectre filter has a inverted filter element in the front allowing air to pass straight through. With the 08 model, the flat panel provides 100% air flow with less restrictions. Better flow!

Old 07-09-2009, 07:03 AM

I installed the $89 intake a few months ago, never got around to posting about it. My H3 seems to have a bit more high RPM get up and go if I nail it. I do 75 to 80 mph on my commute and I'm getting just under 18mpg with mid grade fuel and no AC (which we haven't needed much in the Northeast this year). All in all I'm very pleased.

No other mods although a new cat back will be installed in the future.

Mike

06 Yellow H3

Old 07-12-2009, 10:55 AM

Just curious about the change in engine sound when this is added. I once had a performance intake installed in another car and (in addition to deepening the sound of the engine - which was fine...) it also caused an audible high pitched whining noise whenever I would depress the accelerator. For those of you who have it installed, please post your experience.

Quick Reply: The Under $90 Air Intake!