Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

TPM Probs, NOT sensors.

Old 11-12-2017, 09:57 AM

There is always the possibility of getting a bad sensor. I had a bum new one when I swapped wheels.

Old 02-04-2018, 10:56 PM
Default TPMS issue on H3

I recently became the proud owner of a 2008 H3. The TPMS warning light on the dash would not stay off after resetting the system. Costco even tried to reset the warning light to no success. I was about to give up on trying to get rid of the warning an just live with it. All he batteries in the transmitters were good and yet the warning kept coming back on after driving it a short distance. While looking at the battery terminals, I noticed some corrosion, so I took off the two wires, cleaned them and put them back on. When I turned the key on I noticed all the lights on my the control ***** were blinking. This lasted for about 30 seconds. They finally returned to normal. The navigation system appeared to reset to factory settings. I entered all the current settings and noticed the TPMS warning light was gone. I have been driving it for a week and the warning light is still off. So those of you still having issues with the TPMS, try removing the battery terminals and put them back on after waiting a few minutes.

Old 02-05-2018, 01:03 AM

I disconnected my battery and after re-installing it the TPMS warning light went off and did not come back on.

Old 02-05-2018, 07:40 AM

I have always had to drive about 10 miles before our rigs turn the TPM light off.

Old 02-05-2018, 01:38 PM

As an update, my TPM problem has not changed. For 4 years now the "Check TPM" has come on intermittently. Goes away intermittently. Works for days without showing up. In those 4 years I've changed battery, all tire sensors, reprogrammed the sensors and converted from the I5 engine to 6.2 LS3. Nothing has changed the status. It still behaves exactly as it did 4 years ago. Also I've yet to have found any source that explains exactly HOW this system works (where is the antenna, where is the control module, what is the flow of logic from the tires to the BCM). I'm beginning to think that no one understands this system except for GM.

Old 02-05-2018, 03:29 PM

Mine is fine except during cold weather. When it drops below 30 degrees, I just plan on the TPMS going intermittent. And know it will return to normal once the weather warms back up.

Old 02-05-2018, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by AverageWeekend
Mine is fine except during cold weather. When it drops below 30 degrees, I just plan on the TPMS going intermittent. And know it will return to normal once the weather warms back up.
This is/was my first winter with my 2006 H3. I have also noticed little glitches when the temps get really low. As of late my "serv TPM" message has been on and then yesterday the actual "low tire" message and light came on. My LF ABS sensor has been setting off the ABS and Stability messages; this also did not start until the first real blast of arctic weather with below zero temps hit here a month or so ago. Maybe not related but the Vent Valve Solenoid has the engine light on as well. It started with the "fuel cap" warning and a p-code that signified a small evap leak. That mysteriously went away then the engine light came on and has stayed on with the Vent Valve Solenoid code.

Old 05-03-2018, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by ChristianAnarchist
As an update, my TPM problem has not changed. For 4 years now the "Check TPM" has come on intermittently. Goes away intermittently. Works for days without showing up. In those 4 years I've changed battery, all tire sensors, reprogrammed the sensors and converted from the I5 engine to 6.2 LS3. Nothing has changed the status. It still behaves exactly as it did 4 years ago. Also I've yet to have found any source that explains exactly HOW this system works (where is the antenna, where is the control module, what is the flow of logic from the tires to the BCM). I'm beginning to think that no one understands this system except for GM.
I'm in the same boat as you, since I bought this vehicle in 2015 it's been the thorn in my side. I get so frustrated dealing with the GM dealer about it too. My warning light will NOT start flashing when entering the TPMS "learn mode", it just stays on steady. The manual says it is suppose to start flashing and "remain flashing" throughout the learning phase. But, since I put in aftermarket sensors back in 2015 when I put on new tires, the dealer keeps wanting my to buy $400 worth of new factory sensors, before they proceed. What does functioning, or non-functioning, or non-existent sensors have to do with the fact that the light on the DIC will not flash when in the learn mode? I guess the dealer is located in the logic free zone.

I don't think GM knows how it works either.....how's that.

IT HAS TO START FLASHING TO BE ABLE TO LEARN THEM AT ALL. Why can't the GM dealer get past that part of this puzzle?

Everyone here has probably had to do this at some point, does everyone here see the light on the dash start to flash when doing the learn sequence? Please let me know what might be the problem. Thanks.

Last edited by bosscar; 05-03-2018 at 07:10 PM.
Old 05-04-2018, 08:22 AM

It is frustrating and I've come to the conclusion that we will never find out how this system works. After 5 or 6 years my "CHECK TPM" error has not changed in any way. It's still intermittent, it still has nothing to do with the TPS since they have been changed to brand new ones 2 years ago. Had the exact same behavior with the old sensors as the new ones. We don't even know the route of communication between the TPS and the TPM but it seems likely to be piggybacked on the security system. There's not even any information on WHERE the TPM is but it's likely to be nothing more than a subroutine running in the BCM... When I get the "CHECK TPM" message I just hit the button to clear the message and drive on...

Old 05-04-2018, 05:01 PM

I have reprogrammed mine once after fixing a flat tire, and the process went as it was supposed to.

As long as my tire pressure is set to exactly 38psi (all 4), my TPMS works, except when it's cold out. On cold mornings, I get the "Low Tire" message for about 10-15 miles of driving till the tires warm up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TPM Probs, NOT sensors.