Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

TPM Probs, NOT sensors.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 07:57 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ChristianAnarchist
It seems like everyone here has had about the same luck I have in finding out exactly HOW this system works. No wiring diagram. No specification regarding antenna placement.

Tire pressures have been checked both by me and by the tire store that put in the new sensors. They also verified that all sensors have proper signal. The fact that the problem is intermittent shows that there cannot be a completely failed component. Of course they also did not know specifics as to how this system works. I think they are keeping all this info very tight to the chest...
Still, no tire PSI??? I can assure you if you are running 35 or 36 PSI, you will get what you got.

So when everybody checked the tire pressure COLD, what is it?

Old 03-08-2016, 07:55 PM

So I connected my scan tool to the OBD port on my 2006 H3 and started checking things out. First off my scan tool calls it a TPM. What the General calls it I am not sure. Wireless Interface Module? There are only four sensors currently programmed into it. I could actually read the TPMS number codes and where they are located on the vehicle. Rotate the tires and put one where the spare was and it still thinks it would be on the vehicle. There is a tire location learn and program section. So the spare may or may not be relevant to a light coming on depending on which sensors are currently programmed. From the scan tool, you can change the settings depending on your tire load rating P-metric up to E rated tires. I had no history codes or no current codes. There is also a way to turn off the module so that it doesn't communicate a problem to the BCM or whatever else it is connected to. With all this comes my conclusion and you can argue it if you want. The module works on its own. It only controls the tire pressure monitor and nothing else. The radio and satellite are not part of the TPM. Without a wiring diagram, the TPM probably only communicates with the BCM and/or the instrument cluster. There should only be about a half a dozen wires going to the TPM. Also I am assuming that the TPM module is physically attached to another module in the system. If you try to order the TPM it may not exist because it is called the ??? module. I am also assuming that the antennae is integrated into the module much like a smart phone. If I find more conclusive information it will be posted.

Old 03-08-2016, 10:16 PM
rsc

I had to pull the carpet last fall, found a module under the arm rest and trans tunnel plastic. I wonder if that might be it? It didn't have a name or info on it besides manufacturers data.

Old 03-08-2016, 10:50 PM

i have the printed svc manuals,3 books 8 inches thick! there is no mention anywhere in them or the index of a tpms module,,,none!!!
the bcm gets the data from the digital receiver on the data bus. complex stuff in theses new cars.

rsc, i think that module is the yaw monitor. will try to confirm

its the air bag rollover sensor. yaw is under driver seat.
still no word on tpms in the component locator chapter in the downloaded svc man.

Last edited by happythree; 03-08-2016 at 11:19 PM.
Old 03-08-2016, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by WR3NCHE4D
Rotate the tires and put one where the spare was and it still thinks it would be on the vehicle.
Exactly. And the problem at that point is that each tire sensor only transmits when the tire is spinning; once stationary, it stops transmitting. So if you put one in the spare position without relearning the system, it would think that one tire sensor (now in the spare position and therefore no longer transmitting) is still on the ground but malfunctioning, triggering the system to report a TPMS error rather than a low tire warning.

You still have not verified whether or not you have gone through the relearn process with the four tires on the ground, nor exactly what psi your tires are set at.

Last edited by 650Hawk; 03-08-2016 at 11:40 PM.
Old 03-09-2016, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by rsc
I had to pull the carpet last fall, found a module under the arm rest and trans tunnel plastic. I wonder if that might be it? It didn't have a name or info on it besides manufacturers data.
That is the air bag black box yaw sensor for rollovers. Sets off the SIRs.

Old 03-09-2016, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator

So I connected my scan tool to the OBD port on my 2006 H3 and started checking things out. First off my scan tool calls it a TPM. What the General calls it I am not sure. Wireless Interface Module? There are only four sensors currently programmed into it. I could actually read the TPMS number codes and where they are located on the vehicle. Rotate the tires and put one where the spare was and it still thinks it would be on the vehicle. There is a tire location learn and program section. So the spare may or may not be relevant to a light coming on depending on which sensors are currently programmed. From the scan tool, you can change the settings depending on your tire load rating P-metric up to E rated tires. I had no history codes or no current codes. There is also a way to turn off the module so that it doesn't communicate a problem to the BCM or whatever else it is connected to. With all this comes my conclusion and you can argue it if you want. The module works on its own. It only controls the tire pressure monitor and nothing else. The radio and satellite are not part of the TPM. Without a wiring diagram, the TPM probably only communicates with the BCM and/or the instrument cluster. There should only be about a half a dozen wires going to the TPM. Also I am assuming that the TPM module is physically attached to another module in the system. If you try to order the TPM it may not exist because it is called the ??? module. I am also assuming that the antennae is integrated into the module much like a smart phone. If I find more conclusive information it will be posted.
Interesting
Name:  VeryInteresting.jpg
Views: 1903
Size:  14.7 KB

Old 03-09-2016, 08:03 AM
rsc

Originally Posted by TAINTER
That is the air bag black box yaw sensor for rollovers. Sets off the SIRs.
Thanks! I'm glad I left it alone and didn't toss it in favor of saving weight or something.

Old 03-09-2016, 09:20 AM

I could actually read the TPMS number codes and where they are located on the vehicle.
Actually you could read only where the system "thinks" each sensor is located based on the last time it was "learned".

From the scan tool, you can change the settings depending on your tire load rating P-metric up to E rated tires.
Now that is interesting!

There is also a way to turn off the module so that it doesn't communicate a problem to the BCM or whatever else it is connected to.
So is that.

The module works on its own. It only controls the tire pressure monitor and nothing else. The radio and satellite are not part of the TPM. Without a wiring diagram, the TPM probably only communicates with the BCM and/or the instrument cluster. There should only be about a half a dozen wires going to the TPM. Also I am assuming that the TPM module is physically attached to another module in the system. If you try to order the TPM it may not exist because it is called the ??? module. I am also assuming that the antennae is integrated into the module much like a smart phone. If I find more conclusive information it will be posted.
My guess, since there is nowhere in the wiring diagram that the TPMS shows up, is that it is actually part of/built in to the BCM. My wife's '06 Tahoe has the TPMS system that reports the actual tire pressures; you can scroll through each tire one at a time and see the psi for each on the DIC. The "relearn" process is exactly the same on it as it is on my H3.

Just out of curiosity, what scan tool (brand/model) are you using?

Last edited by 650Hawk; 03-09-2016 at 09:26 AM.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:04 AM
rsc

So I connected my scan tool to the OBD port on my 2006 H3 and started checking things out...
Just curious, what is the scan tool you are using?

lol, 650 Hawk beat me to it! I'm interested in the idea of disabling the warning lights on the Dash/DIC. On one vehicle I have old batteries (showed up about 3 months after the new tires went on and the vehicle was 6 1/2 yrs old), I have another that I need to do a relearn on to rule out any other problems but the Service TPM comes on when it's hot or after driving for 20-30 minutes but never when the tires or weather is cold and one will soon be getting a set of tires just for the trail without TPM sensors. Sometimes I really hate technology.

Last edited by rsc; 03-09-2016 at 10:10 AM.

Quick Reply: TPM Probs, NOT sensors.