Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

tapping into reverse signal fuse(for backup camera)

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 11:52 PM
Default tapping into reverse signal fuse(for backup camera)

Hello,
i have tapped successfuly into one of the fuses(in hood fuse box) which was labeld as trailer backup

what i did was attach the wire(copper into the fuse legs)

now i got few add-a-circuit devices in order to do the process the right way
​​

the only issue if i try to install it the correct way it'll interfer with the fuse box and block the fuse puller
if i install it in the opposite direction the tap will be always hot (even without fuse)

to clarify the fuse i am talking about is the 3rd or 4th from top left corner and the always hot side is on the left leg so if i try to attach the add-a-circuit it'll be blocked by the fuse puller(even with fuse puller removed) but if install it the other side it'll defeat the purpose as the wire will be always hot even with no fuse added

so is there any other fuse( the actual backup lights to tap into) if so can i have the fuse location number
​​​​
, thanks any help appreciated

Last edited by a7m1; 02-01-2017 at 11:55 PM. Reason: more info added
Old 02-02-2017, 12:30 AM

fuse #60 labeled BCK/UP is always getting power regardless of ignition or gear position

Old 02-02-2017, 07:44 AM

FWIW, I had the same concern in an older Ford Truck, not necessarily because I was concerned about which side was hot, rather both sides of the fuse position I wanted to use were physically obstructed. The fuse adapter I used was a little different than the one in your picture, in the sense that the wire coming out the side of the adapter didn't protrude out the side as much. Here is the adapter similar to what I used:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013JU4K76?psc=1

Also, one could get a little creative with a dremel with the above adapter so that the wire came more out the top then the side of the adapter then use a little RTV to seal it.

I've also seen something like this used with an inline fuse holder:

.250 Tab Blade Fuse Power Tap 3 Pcs - Wiring Products

Old 02-02-2017, 07:48 AM

I got my reverse signal from the tail light.
The camera RCA that came with mine has a wire just for this purpose.
When the camera senses power it sends a video signal to the display switching it to the reverse camera view.

Is it a stand alone unit or is it integrated into a new head unit?

Last edited by TAINTER; 02-02-2017 at 07:57 AM.
Old 02-03-2017, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by cucumber1949
FWIW, I had the same concern in an older Ford Truck, not necessarily because I was concerned about which side was hot, rather both sides of the fuse position I wanted to use were physically obstructed. The fuse adapter I used was a little different than the one in your picture, in the sense that the wire coming out the side of the adapter didn't protrude out the side as much. Here is the adapter similar to what I used:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013JU4K76?psc=1

Also, one could get a little creative with a dremel with the above adapter so that the wire came more out the top then the side of the adapter then use a little RTV to seal it.

I've also seen something like this used with an inline fuse holder:

.250 Tab Blade Fuse Power Tap 3 Pcs - Wiring Products
managed to fit it the way it was intended it was a tight fit but it works(not really sure about affecting th3 life of car's fuse holder as the add-a-circuit is leaning a bit due to being blocked

i cant use the inline fuse holder as it defeats my purpose of using the add-a-circuit in the first place

i don't want wires plugged into the fuse slot as i already found(before it was too late) some copper peices on some of the empty fuse holes

be safe out there do the right thing

will post pictures later

Old 02-03-2017, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by TAINTER
I got my reverse signal from the tail light.
The camera RCA that came with mine has a wire just for this purpose.
When the camera senses power it sends a video signal to the display switching it to the reverse camera view.

Is it a stand alone unit or is it integrated into a new head unit?
you mean this wire?

this is the one i am using but instead of hooking it up backup lights i have it all the way to headunit (reverse signal) then to fuse box(trailer backup fuse)

my intial plan was not to cut or splice into any wires

job welldone, it's a chinese android headunit

Old 02-11-2017, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by a7m1
job welldone, it's a chinese android headunit
How is your Android headunit holding up...?
Any installed pics...?