Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Stability contol

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2020, 09:02 AM
Default Stability contol

Snowed up here in Mn last night (go figure, snow in Mn). Put the H3 in the road to clear the driveway. When done I got in and tried to drive up the road. Skid marks came on on the dash and I could feel brakes being applied. Took forever to get up the road turn around and come back home. Roads are slippery but I was babying it so wasn't slipping the tires. Figured I would turn off traction control and stability control. Dash said off but issue kept occurring. Did a search and could only find a very old thread but wasn't the same issue. Can anyone share with me what is causing this and can those nanny controls be permanently disabled. Any help would be appreciated. Only had it for a week and already love it, just looks like a few gremlins that need to be worked out. Thanks

Old 01-20-2020, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator

Read the manual would be appropriate here.

Default TC and StabiliTrack is ON. Means if you turn it off, soon as you start the truck again, they will both be on.

If you push the TC button you have to hold it for 5 seconds to turn OFF TC and StabiliTrack. If you just push the button and release, you turned OFF TC, but left StabiliTrack ON.

I have looked into this further and you can take out almost all TC and StabiliTrack with a laptop tuner. If you try to take it all out, it will create some crazy issues, but if you take out say 91-94% and no more, it will allow you to get away with that. We were trying to get a 2009 Chevy Colorado LH8 Strip Truck to launch from the starting lights so I learned a bunch that day. It is set up so you really can never disable it, but you can temporarily turn it off with the dash button.

Old 01-21-2020, 07:53 AM

Thank you, waiting for owner to send me manual, not sure why it wasn't in the glove box. I don't mean to ask stupid questions and do try the search function before asking but I am not sure I am putting in my search correctly. I have learned that if I get out of the forum and do a google search I seem to get better results. I do appreciate your patience.

Old 01-21-2020, 08:36 AM

What tires are on it and how worn are they?

Old 01-21-2020, 10:03 AM

Regular street tires, about half their tread left. Issue was I could not accelerate at all, brakes kept being applied even though I was barely doing 5-10 MPH. kept getting stabilitrak light and ABS fault. Rather weird but got back home and turned vehicle off and came in to try and find the answer to the problem. Went out and truck ran like it never had an issue, hasn't done it since. Tires are 265/65R18.

Old 01-22-2020, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
Read the manual would be appropriate here.

Default TC and StabiliTrack is ON. Means if you turn it off, soon as you start the truck again, they will both be on.

If you push the TC button you have to hold it for 5 seconds to turn OFF TC and StabiliTrack. If you just push the button and release, you turned OFF TC, but left StabiliTrack ON.

I have looked into this further and you can take out almost all TC and StabiliTrack with a laptop tuner. If you try to take it all out, it will create some crazy issues, but if you take out say 91-94% and no more, it will allow you to get away with that. We were trying to get a 2009 Chevy Colorado LH8 Strip Truck to launch from the starting lights so I learned a bunch that day. It is set up so you really can never disable it, but you can temporarily turn it off with the dash button.
According to my manual, just pressing the TC button and releasing doesn't turn anything off. You must press and hold for 5 seconds. That turns off Traction Control System (2008 Manual, pg 4-6) and StabiliTrac System (pg 4-8). I've never had anything come up on the dash unless I held the button for 5 seconds.

OK kiddies, that is your homework assignment: Find out what action is required to produce the "TRAC OFF" message, and what action to produce the "STAB SYS OFF" message, either together or separate.

Last edited by 650Hawk; 01-22-2020 at 10:38 AM.
Old 01-22-2020, 11:31 AM

2008 H3 Alpha, (2) 2008 H3 Alpha Offroad, 2009 H3T Alpha Offroad, 2010 H3T Alpha Offroad & 2009 H3T Manual Offroad
in 4HI and 4HI LOCK: TC button you have to hold it for 5 seconds to turn OFF TC and StabiliTrack on all of them
in 4LOW LOCK: the vehicle does it by itself