Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Spare Tire Relocation?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 11:09 AM
Cool

For the OP:
Something sounds loose. My spare has been on the rear for 132K miles and it's doing just fine. Changing the rear wiper blade is a pain but that's another issue. I have seen spares in rooftop mounted baskets but I'm sure that is a PITA when you have to get it down.

To Hummerz:
I've had three flats in my life and two were while 4wheelin. No Uber, No Lyft, and a very long walk to civilization. One was in my H3 and it took a total of 15 minutes to change. Cars have spare tires for a reason and for the three times I've had to use my spare I'm glad I had it. As far as on the side of the road goes, I've seen people changing driver's side tires when they are barely on the shoulder and hanging out in traffic. That's not a changing tire problem, it's a common sense problem. Also, nowadays with the roadside service trucks you can usually get some assistance for free vs paying for a $120 tow.

Old 09-12-2019, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by hummerz
Wow, another rant... I hope I can give you insight on all your questions?
Btw, I changed my first flat tire in 1974, (the cause of the flat, was due to worn out tread and cords showing)

The tread is the key!

Over many years(since 1982 in professional automotive service), I've/or my techs, removed many objects from customers tires, without a loss in air pressure!
The debris on the road has a greater chance to penetrate the tire, the lower the tread!
Go take a look at your tires and see what gets into your tread, yet doesn't cause a flat!
Rant? Really? It seems as if you are the one ranting, not me. I'm simply stating facts. The fact that YOUR first flat was caused by driving on a worn out tire is irrelevant to those of us with more common sense than that, and the idea that flat tires are ONLY caused by lack of maintenance/worn out tires tells me that your claim of being in the professional automotive service is highly suspect, if not an outright fabrication. I have indeed had objects penetrate a brand new tire; I guess that was just my imagination, right? If you have never had another flat since 1974, then you should buy a lottery ticket.

Roadside assistance?
They have to tow it, without a spare!
Btw, many vehicles were towed to my shop, because the spare was flat!

If you are in a hurry and catch a uber:
Shift the TC to neutral and lock the doors.
What hurry? Why would I wait 1-2 hours for a towtruck, or even 30 minutes for an Uber AND leave my vehicle on the side of the road, when I can be back on the road (for free) in 15-20 minutes? And then of course having to go get the car (wherever it is towed to) and wait for the shop to fix the tire... There's a difference between "hurry" and a "complete waste of time" (and money).

Bottom line, I can, but will not change my tire on the road!

UNSAFE!

Here's the most recent fatality local to me:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/11/us/cl...rnd/index.html
Changing a tire is unsafe? I'm smart enough to get off the road and out of traffic; those that aren't justifiably fall victim to Darwinism.

??? Your link has absolutely nothing to do with "changing a tire", NOR is there anything in the article that suggests the tires on her 2019 Lamborghini were worn out. So why post the link at all??? According to you, that entire article must be a lie, since a 2019 vehicle would have fairly new tires, and therefore could not possibly get a flat tire, right? Fake news?

BTW, there is still no legitimate reason to remove the spare tire because the rear door is rattling (which is what this thread IS actually about). Fix what is causing the rattle.

Last edited by 650Hawk; 09-12-2019 at 01:43 PM.
Old 09-12-2019, 03:12 PM

choochmalooch
As I stated above, take the spare on an off road adventure.
Roadside assistance(no charge for a tow) is include in my insurance policy ($338.00yr full/maximum coverage, roadside assistance included)

650Hawk
The first tire I changed back in '74, was on my father's ford station wagon(with a bumper jack and a tire iron)
The incident with the link I posted, was only showing how unsafe it is to be on the side of the road, outside your vehicle. There are police officers during a traffic stop, tow truck drivers hooking a vehicle, road construction workers, pedestrians, bicyclists, etc, that get injured/killed everyday, on the road.
It's a proven fact that your vehicle has a greater chance of mechanical failure(overheat, transmission, engine, fuel delivery, steering, brakes, electrical, etc...), than a tire failure!
I have never needed a tow for any of my trucks I have owned since 1998 (Chevy/Hummer), and I have never used the spare tire!
As a matter of fact, I still have the original spare for my H3 dated 2006, and it would be very unsafe to drive on it!
Btw, I have been enjoying the ease of opening and closing the rear door(I use it daily), and the better view out the rear window when I'm driving.

Old 09-12-2019, 03:57 PM

None of which has anything to do with an "out-of-adjustment" door latch........never mind......

More power to you.

Last edited by 650Hawk; 09-12-2019 at 04:05 PM.
Old 09-12-2019, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by 650Hawk
None of which has anything to do with an "out-of-adjustment" door latch........never mind......

More power to you.
That does NOT address the OP's question:

Originally Posted by Coolvibes
I took it off for a week, and the vehicle rode a lot smoother; actually quieter. I also have a back up camera mounted at the top of my back glass, on the inside. Visibility was much improved with the spare tire off.
Developing Alternatives:: Problem Solving and Decision ...