Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Spare Tire Relocation?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2019, 07:59 PM
Default Spare Tire Relocation?

Whenever I go over bumps, the spare tire thuds. I took it off for a week, and the vehicle rode a lot smoother; actually quieter. It is very heavy, and I imagine that it is putting a strain on the hinges and rear door lock. Has anyone successfully relocated the spare? Is there a spare tire mount that could attach to the trailer hitch (I have nothing to tow)? I also have a back up camera mounted at the top of my back glass, on the inside. Visibility was much improved with the spare tire off.

Old 08-31-2019, 09:00 PM

That is correct: "strain on the hinges". I have successfully relocated my spare many years ago; planted it in the backyard, and the mount bracket is still in my garage!
I can, but will not change a tire on the road. Roadside assistance will tow me home.
I use to have triple A many years ago, but not now, roadside assistance is included in my auto insurance policy!
I know my tires are in good condition, so why should I travel with a spare?
I've never had a flat with the tires I installed, however, if I ever get a flat, my roadside plan would have to tow, at no cost to me.
Btw, I use the rear door daily, makes a huge difference without the spare mounted!

Old 08-31-2019, 09:24 PM

Hummerz, what did you do about the vent on the door, behind the spare tire? Doesn't water get in?

Old 08-31-2019, 10:25 PM

No, All good and dry inside. I keep my tie down straps in there and all still dry+ the oem jack is still mounted unused like new condition. I also installed 4 stainless bolts in the mount bracket holes.

Old 09-02-2019, 10:19 AM

Rather than removing the spare, why not fix the actual problem? The rear door is rattling, not because of the spare, but because the latch wedge needs adjusting. There are thousands of H3s driving around without a rattling rear door even though they still have their spare mounted.

BTW, roadside assistance is fine, but they won't touch you if you're off-road. I will also never be dependent on waiting, sometimes for hours, for roadside assistance (yes, been there done that). Or what if you are in an area with no cell service?

Last edited by 650Hawk; 09-02-2019 at 10:27 AM.
Old 09-02-2019, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by 650Hawk
Or what if you are in an area with no cell service?
In the same situation if you blow 2 tires!
A few weeks ago, 1 of the major highways here, had to close down, due to a dump truck driver, did not secure the rear gate and metal shards were falling on the highway. Over 150 vehicles were towed, most had 2+ tires flat.
Btw, if you are going on an off road adventure you can put your spare inside the truck, however changing the tire on soft ground can be challenging.
I will also never be dependent on waiting, sometimes for hours, for roadside assistance (yes, been there done that).
Why wait, when you can get an Uber in minutes!

Old 09-09-2019, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by hummerz
In the same situation if you blow 2 tires!
A few weeks ago, 1 of the major highways here, had to close down, due to a dump truck driver, did not secure the rear gate and metal shards were falling on the highway. Over 150 vehicles were towed, most had 2+ tires flat.
Btw, if you are going on an off road adventure you can put your spare inside the truck, however changing the tire on soft ground can be challenging.

Why wait, when you can get an Uber in minutes!
WOW, you are so SELF-CENTRIC you can't even imagine that there are many, many people who live in areas where there are no UBERs, Lyfts, or even cabs.
Also, the odds of having a 2 tire failure vs a single has to be astronomical.
Advising someone to ditch the spare, especially in a rural area is irresponsible as a mechanic to say the least.
Remember, NOT EVERYONE LIVES IN A METROPOLIS.

Rant over.

Old 09-09-2019, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by TAINTER
WOW, you are so SELF-CENTRIC you can't even imagine that there are many, many people who live in areas where there are no UBERs, Lyfts, or even cabs.
Also, the odds of having a 2 tire failure vs a single has to be astronomical.
Advising someone to ditch the spare, especially in a rural area is irresponsible as a mechanic to say the least.
Remember, NOT EVERYONE LIVES IN A METROPOLIS.

Rant over.
I didn't advise to drive around on 3 tires.

My advise is the spare is a waste of cargo,(many new cars have eliminated the spare, years ago)
if you properly maintain the tires; 50%+ oe tread, air pressure+, balance, alignment, etc..

*DISCLAIMER:

DO NOT remove your spare, if you drive in an area without:

-Cellphone Service
-Roadside Assistance
-Uber, Lyft, Taxi, etc.
unless you are traveling with the following:
-cb radio
-flare gun
-a pack of matches and a blanket to send smoke signals
-a survival guide
-a good pair of walking shoes

Most important: DO NOT remove your spare when you drive on a deserted island.

Last edited by hummerz; 09-09-2019 at 06:53 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:01 PM

Who said anything about driving on 3 tires?

Properly maintained tires do nothing to prevent nails or other road hazards from resulting in a flat. The amount of "cargo" space/weight is negligible (manufacturers leave them out to gain an extra 1/10 mpg as well as saving them the cost), not to increase cargo space. The "Sealant" that they provide instead will do nothing for a large hole or damaged tire. Your roadside service will be worthless if the tire is damaged too badly to patch and you have no spare. LYFT/UBER may get YOU where you're going, but what about your vehicle? Emergency supplies are ALWAYS a good thing to carry in your car (didn't your daddy ever teach you?).

Oh, and I guarantee I can change my tire before your "roadside service" even shows up.

Again, as stated in my original post...why not actually fix the problem that the OP is having? I guess if your right side mirror gets broken, you should just remove it, right? After all a couple of decades ago, that right side mirror wasn't even stock, it was an option. How about a fender? If it comes loose; just rip it off rather than tighten the mounting bolts. Headlight out? Who cares...you've still got another.

Last edited by 650Hawk; 09-11-2019 at 06:04 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:52 PM

Who said anything about driving on 3 tires?

Properly maintained tires do nothing to prevent nails or other road hazards from resulting in a flat. The amount of "cargo" space/weight is negligible (manufacturers leave them out to gain an extra 1/10 mpg as well as saving them the cost), not to increase cargo space. The "Sealant" that they provide instead will do nothing for a large hole or damaged tire. Your roadside service will be worthless if the tire is damaged too badly to patch and you have no spare. LYFT/UBER may get YOU where you're going, but what about your vehicle? Emergency supplies are ALWAYS a good thing to carry in your car (didn't your daddy ever teach you?).

Oh, and I guarantee I can change my tire before your "roadside service" even shows up.

Again, as stated in my original post...why not actually fix the problem that the OP is having? I guess if your right side mirror gets broken, you should just remove it, right? After all a couple of decades ago, that right side mirror wasn't even stock, it was an option. How about a fender? If it comes loose; just rip it off rather than tighten the mounting bolts. Headlight out? Who cares...you've still got another.
Wow, another rant... I hope I can give you insight on all your questions?
Btw, I changed my first flat tire in 1974, (the cause of the flat, was due to worn out tread and cords showing)

The tread is the key!

Over many years(since 1982 in professional automotive service), I've/or my techs, removed many objects from customers tires, without a loss in air pressure!
The debris on the road has a greater chance to penetrate the tire, the lower the tread!
Go take a look at your tires and see what gets into your tread, yet doesn't cause a flat!

Roadside assistance?
They have to tow it, without a spare!
Btw, many vehicles were towed to my shop, because the spare was flat!

If you are in a hurry and catch a uber:
Shift the TC to neutral and lock the doors.

Bottom line, I can, but will not change my tire on the road!

UNSAFE!

Here's the most recent fatality local to me:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/11/us/cl...rnd/index.html

Quick Reply: Spare Tire Relocation?