Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Seat belt warning

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2019, 07:25 PM
Default Seat belt warning

I have a Hummer H3 Today when my wife and son got in there was a seat belt illuminated with a red ball on the passenger All of our seat belts were clicked in
What does that sign mean?

Old 10-28-2019, 10:51 PM

That's easy to diagnose, just let your wife know, she has to go.

Old 10-30-2019, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator

YEAR and MILES???????????

There is an issue with your inflatable restraint system (air bags). Could be a number of issues, some of which are more prevalent in certain year H3s than others.

Old 10-30-2019, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
YEAR and MILES???????????

There is an issue with your inflatable restraint system (air bags). Could be a number of issues, some of which are more prevalent in certain year H3s than others.
2007 H3 96500 miles
It was the air bag sensor passenger side It cleared for now

Old 10-30-2019, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Bergie
It was the air bag sensor passenger side It cleared for now
Not correct, since the occupant module is working.

Old 10-30-2019, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator

Read your owner's manual. If you had a small person under 5' tall and less than 100#, the passenger front seat, the system recognizes that and turns OFF the passenger side front airbag.

You talking about this???? In the TC Button Controls bar?

Attached Thumbnails Seat belt warning-dsc01784.jpg  
Old 10-30-2019, 05:06 PM

Read your owner's manual. If you had a small person under 5' tall and less than 100#, the passenger front seat, the system recognizes that and turns OFF the passenger side front airbag.

You talking about this???? In the TC Button Controls bar?
No on the panel to the left drivers side (This is the panel where the check engine lights appear seatbelts etc) The seatbelt light came on with the red ball in lap It did not clear with my wife in the passenger seat while driving
The next day I sat in the passenger seat and this light did not appear while parked
Will try again today when we take a ride and see if it re appears

Old 10-31-2019, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

OK, yes you have an inflatable restraint system error. Could be just bad connections causing a glitch.... or a bad sensor, bag or module. 2006-07s seem to have more issues with the module and communications between it and the bags. I found this out after researching those issues more than I care to think about. In 2008+ they used a different module for the overhead side curtain capability.

Basically every time the truck is started, the system checks itself for proper voltage (sensor input) and communications, when something is not within specs the light comes on.

My 07 had that issue for years intermittently, almost always when it got below 55 degrees F. I checked all connections more than once. It would go away all summer, then come back in the fall. I reset the BCM several times and it would go away for a few days and then return. I scanned it and it was in the passenger side IRS (do not remember the code ... B00## passenger side front deployment loop........??). So I rechecked all the connections on that side and no joy. Finally went to the GM dealer and they tried to reprogram the module which would not communicate correctly or accept programming. Replaced the module under the center console, had it programmed and no more problems. In 12 years of ownership on that 07, that was the only thing it ever had to go to the dealer for.

You will need to get it scanned with a scanner capable of reading IRS to check for any codes and diagnose the problem if it returns. If you do, please post the code(s) here and let us know, maybe we can help further.

Old 10-31-2019, 11:07 AM

OK, yes you have an inflatable restraint system error. Could be just bad connections causing a glitch.... or a bad sensor, bag or module. 2006-07s seem to have more issues with the module and communications between it and the bags. I found this out after researching those issues more than I care to think about. In 2008+ they used a different module for the overhead side curtain capability.

Basically every time the truck is started, the system checks itself for proper voltage (sensor input) and communications, when something is not within specs the light comes on.

My 07 had that issue for years intermittently, almost always when it got below 55 degrees F. I checked all connections more than once. It would go away all summer, then come back in the fall. I reset the BCM several times and it would go away for a few days and then return. I scanned it and it was in the passenger side IRS (do not remember the code ... B00## passenger side front deployment loop........??). So I rechecked all the connections on that side and no joy. Finally went to the GM dealer and they tried to reprogram the module which would not communicate correctly or accept programming. Replaced the module under the center console, had it programmed and no more problems. In 12 years of ownership on that 07, that was the only thing it ever had to go to the dealer for.

You will need to get it scanned with a scanner capable of reading IRS to check for any codes and diagnose the problem if it returns. If you do, please post the code(s) here and let us know, maybe we can help further.
Thank you so much I appreciate it very much

Old 10-31-2019, 12:25 PM

You will need to get it scanned with a scanner capable of reading IRS to check for any codes and diagnose the problem if it returns.
Most common is B-$$$$