Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

REVIEW: Outfitter Design H3 Heavy Duty Tie Rods & Steering Rack Reinforcement Kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 12:06 PM

Update Jan 2016.

Replaced both tIe rod ends summer 2015. Ball joint on one side was going so I replaced both of them.
Those are wear items so really a non issue.
Still daily driving and hard wheeling with no issues from ANY Outfitter Design parts!

Old 02-16-2019, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by TAINTER
INSTALL & REVIEW: Outfitter Design H3 Heavy Duty Tie Rods & Steering Rack Reinforcement Kit

Steerign Kit
http://www.outfitterdesign.com/steer...ement-kit.html

HUGE Tie Rods
http://www.outfitterdesign.com/humme...e-rod-kit.html

INSTALL;

As you can see there is a difference in the size of the rod for the Tie rods. Stock is 16MM (14MM for some) and 25.4MM (1") for the upgraded units. Since there is such a HUGE difference I will call them Outfitter Design HUGE Rods for the remainder of this thread. See pix below.

Attachment 12659

You will also notice that they use the same threads for the inner portion with a larger inner rod with less milling/taper. No sloppy heim joints, NICE!

Attachment 12660

The use of the Larger tie rod outer WITH grease fittings is a nice touch also!!

Attachment 12661

The Outfitter Designs Steering Rack Reinforcement Kit is the same as you have seen in previous install posts:

Attachment 12662

Attachment 12663

Attachment 12664

On to the install tips.

Well I really like the Outfitter Design products, but their directions and photos for the steering bracket support and bushings are not very good. Sorry, Outfitter Design guys. It is a pretty stright forward install but some of us like to read directions before starting a project in order to have the proper tools at hand.

I wrote down notes on the original directions but I am unable to locate them. Maybe they are still over at my buddies place not sure.

1st. Before you even open the package for the steering rack kit take a photo of the bushings and make sure you have the steel sleeve with the lip in the correct bushing (can't remember if its sleeve w/lip on the small side or sleeve w/lip in the large side. Also take a look at the steering rack you have removed and take photos of each bushing so you can press in the new bushing the same exact way with the sleeve w/lip in the correct locations. We did not do that and had to remove the lower bushing because the upper bushing would not line up with the bolt hole.

2nd. The bolt sizes (I wrote those down also on the same directions, oops) are not what they are in the directions (I believe they list thread size????). Anyway, get the proper sizes before you wedge everything back up inside there. :headbang:.

3rd. Measure, measure, measure. First center the steering wheel and secure it with a ratchet strap to the brake pedal. Measure: Outside front tire to tire, outside rear (of the front tire) tire to tire, driver and passenger steering rack to tie rod bolt center point, tie rod center bolt point to tie rod bolt center point. These measurements will aid in getting really close to your original alignment specs and have a straight steering wheel.

4th. Removal of the driver side wheel well plastic liner will help greatly in removal of the lower steering link bolt.

5th. If you don't know how to remove a tie rod you probably shouldn't be doing either one of these upgrades by yourself. No special tools just basic knowledge.

Whack with a large mallet here, that should release the tie rod end.
Attachment 12665

Pix of the lower steering link and bolt (you can actually see them in these pix)
Attachment 12666

Attachment 12667

Outfitter Design HUGE Rods can use the original boots but you must cut them at the smaller nipple end.
We had to use some clamps and zip ties since the original clamps would not fit on the Outfitter Design HUGE Rods.
I am sourcing steel clamps, when I find them I will post them here.

Attachment 12668

Attachment 12669

Almost the same size as the half shaft!!

Attachment 12670

REVIEW;

The upgrade of the Outfitter Design Huge Rods as well as the OD Steering bracket AND bushings has changed the entire way H3 handles. No more slop! You will have to "relearn" how to drive your rig. Slight motions in the steering wheel will actually make the wheels turn now!!! Still a great ride just more feedback at the steering wheel and the reduction in bump steer is amazing. Not totally gone but greatly reduced.

I had a few people ask me if I thought they are worth the price.
Steering bracket and bushings-YES!
OD HUGE Rods-YES! Especially when you think about the cost of a complete set of OEM 16MMs. Definitely worth it.

After a month or two I will revisit this post and continue with the OnRoad/OffRoad observations.

The past weekend the Outfitter Design HUGE Combo really shined. I pressed the driver tire (37") against a large rock and nothing on the passenger side with no pigeon toe!! Also, for the first time in a while I haven't had to get an alignment after wheeling rocks. Steering wheel is still straight and XXLH3 still tracks straight down the highway.

THANKS OUTFITTER DESIGN FOR 2 OUTSTANDING PRODUCTS FOR H3 AND H3T OWNERS!!!!!!!!

Great write up, I know this is old, but I’ve been looking for good info on them.

Side note:
I have the moniker “Huge Rod” under copyright. I’ve had the unwanted nickname of Huge Rod since my circumcision, then resurrected through school and college. My wife had me change it to “Barely Above Average Rod”. She didn’t enjoy all of her friends asking for info and pictures.
As such under copyright laws you have to seek my permission to use my “Huge Rod”

Old 02-17-2019, 09:13 PM

Update February 2019.

3rd set of ends, inners are still tight and straight. Running on 37s for many years and countless wheeling trips to Drummond Island, Rausch Creek, Badlands, Rocks and Valleys, Windrock, etc. Steering rack is tight and nothing moves even when pushing 37s around.

We also have the front differential bushing kit on for many years too. No negatives to report.

Thanks again Outfitter Design. GREAT PRODUCTS!

Old 02-18-2019, 10:32 AM

Update February 2019.

3rd set of ends, inners are still tight and straight. Running on 37s for many years and countless wheeling trips to Drummond Island, Rausch Creek, Badlands, Rocks and Valleys, Windrock, etc. Steering rack is tight and nothing moves even when pushing 37s around.

We also have the front differential bushing kit on for many years too. No negatives to report.

Thanks for the review! We just discovered that Mevotech sells a massive upgrade for the outer tierods but rockauto does not have many more in stock. When you put them next to the moog outer tierod is pretty impressive how much bigger they are!

Mevotech TXES3367T
Terrain Tough

Old 02-19-2019, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by atvspeed4
Thanks for the review! We just discovered that Mevotech sells a massive upgrade for the outer tierods but rockauto does not have many more in stock. When you put them next to the moog outer tierod is pretty impressive how much bigger they are!

Mevotech TXES3367T
Terrain Tough
Thanks for the info and part #s.
I have lifetime replacement on the ends and lifetime alignment.
I will not be needing the steering rack, big **** tie rods or ends hopefully after the middle of this year...

Old 02-19-2019, 03:36 PM

Thanks for the info and part #s.
I have lifetime replacement on the ends and lifetime alignment.
I will not be needing the steering rack, big **** tie rods or ends hopefully after the middle of this year...
Say it isn't so! You're going to the dark side!

Old 02-21-2019, 09:29 PM
Default Tie Rods

Outfitter Design is out of inventory. I think I'll hold out for their product for a while. Thanks for the old posts and updates folks.

Old 03-09-2019, 06:13 AM

Update February 2019.

received the Steering Rack Reinforcement Kit. waiting on Heavy Duty Tie Rods for a few weeks now. any connections over at Outfitter Designs?

Tainter, looks like i have your H3T's twin. I just brought mine in from Washington to Missouri. Love the interior but bummed i couldn't get the weathertech floormat for the rear.

I'm doing tires and leveling at the same time im doing the tie rods... love the look of your 37's and curious of what tire those are and the full tire measurement?

Lastly: that bumper! It's amazing. what is it and whos the supplier?

I couldn't private msg you? Said something about site administrator hasn't turned on authorization???

Old 03-11-2019, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by jjlee9110
received the Steering Rack Reinforcement Kit. waiting on Heavy Duty Tie Rods for a few weeks now. any connections over at Outfitter Designs?

Tainter, looks like i have your H3T's twin. I just brought mine in from Washington to Missouri. Love the interior but bummed i couldn't get the weathertech floormat for the rear.

I'm doing tires and leveling at the same time im doing the tie rods... love the look of your 37's and curious of what tire those are and the full tire measurement?

I couldn't private msg you? Said something about site administrator hasn't turned on authorization???
Shoot me a PM to see what happened with your tracking. Have you sent an email?

Old 03-12-2019, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by jjlee9110

-The OD website has very good contact information. atvspeed4 IS OD. Since you do not have enough posts to PM (personal Message) on HF I would suggest contacting OD through their website.
contact@outfitterdesign.com

-Truck build: Mr. Red Roc'T Metamorphosis
-Tires Interco Super Swamper Irok ND (IND-24) 37x12.50R16

-Bumper?: Not sure which bumper you are talking about. No pictures of any bumper in this thread.
Red Roc'T has had several different bumpers. OEM, BA (Boulder Accessories) discontinued a LONG time ago/very rare and currently has an ARB Deluxe Bull Bar.

BA

ARB