Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Read If Your H3 Radiator Has Cracked or Leaked

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 06:05 PM

thanks doc

i now have an open document on my desktop to copy/paste stuff and label it so i can find it.
im calling it "hummer stuff i will need later"!!

i can just open it and add stuff, i hope.!

it still sounds too ez though! ill look tomorrow

Old 03-31-2015, 03:55 AM
Default 127k miles and my 06 radiator caught it too.

Well here to report my radiator also went out a few weeks ago while transporting my wife to have our baby.
Pulled into the hospital and steam was rising from the hood. I thought to myself I wasn't speeding that fast!!!
I could see the "wetness" around the top right and left of radiator where the plastic is crimped by the aluminum. It actually made it back home without even filling any water.
Been filling and driving for a few days, no increased temperature and no apparent leaks on the ground until today. So its off to Amzaon.com. Found one there shipped to Hawaii for $115.00.

Gotta say this thread probably gained me a few thousand miles as when I first bought this 06 in 08, immediately I put napkins between the radiator and the frame. It might have been time to change the napkins
Will get some pics up of the cracked and new radiator when it comes in.

Old 04-20-2015, 02:28 PM

Hi Guys,
I'm a new member here. Just got an oil change, and the tech guy said my radiator overflow tank was empty, and the radiator was probably leaking from the top. I couldn't see the crack myself, but sort of trusted his opinion. Long story short, I only have
40,000 miles on my 2009 H3. Seems to me this problem should not happen until at least 75,000 miles. I'm wondering if I should replace the radiator, hoses, thermostat now anyway? Think I'll keep an eye on coolant that I added (orange in color).
Double R.

Old 04-21-2015, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator

Fill the overflow tank to the indicated mark and drive it and check for a leak. 98% of those quickie oil change kids don't know chit, I would never even let them change my oil let alone rely on anything they say.

If you see a leak and/or smell one, fix only what is broke (ie replace the radiator).

Old 04-21-2015, 09:52 AM

RR didn't say he got his oil changed at a quickie. He just said he got an oil change and the techie guy, who he sort of trusts (the tech is his brother's long time neighbor's uncle, maybe?), used the term "probably". Also, I don't think it's fair to assume 98% of the quickie oil change people are dunderpates or that they are kids. I let the local Valvoline quick change people change my oil and filter when I don't feel like it (more and more lately, even on the easiest-as-pie H3 ) and have never had a problem with them and don't know anyone who has.

Wait, what were we talking about again?

Oh yeah: RR - The tech is probably right, but I wouldn't spend $500+ to fix anything. Like Doc says, re fill and keep your eyes and nose open. If it is a cracked radiator, it will start as a hairline crack, and PROBABLY reveal itself over a few hundred miles rather than let go in a sudden burst of white smoke.

Old 04-21-2015, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by wixomhead
RR didn't say he got his oil changed at a quickie. He just said he got an oil change and the techie guy, who he sort of trusts (the tech is his brother's long time neighbor's uncle, maybe?), used the term "probably". Also, I don't think it's fair to assume 98% of the quickie oil change people are dunderpates or that they are kids. I let the local Valvoline quick change people change my oil and filter when I don't feel like it (more and more lately, even on the easiest-as-pie H3 ) and have never had a problem with them and don't know anyone who has.

Wait, what were we talking about again?

Oh yeah: RR - The tech is probably right, but I wouldn't spend $500+ to fix anything. Like Doc says, re fill and keep your eyes and nose open. If it is a cracked radiator, it will start as a hairline crack, and PROBABLY reveal itself over a few hundred miles rather than let go in a sudden burst of white smoke.
When you are my age, everybody doing an oil change is a "kid", and very few ... like 2%.... have any clue.

Old 04-21-2015, 04:23 PM

Thank you all for the input on my radiator "problem". I have filled the overflow canister with an orange solution, and will keep an eye on the fluid lever.
I have not noticed any leaks under my vehicle, so who knows.
The members of this forum are awesome!

Old 05-31-2015, 08:56 PM

My '07 H3 has less than 40K miles on it. I've been smelling coolant for about 3 years and added less than a gallon over that period but could never find a puddle or leak.

Until this week when I finally noticed a small puddle and took a look. Didn't even know about this issue or this site until now.

Here's my question: What's up with the prices on this site? Could this even be remotekly possible? An aftermarket radiator for $15 bucks? An OEM GM rad for $30?

Anyone know what's up with this site?

Old 05-31-2015, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Arthur Kill
My '07 H3 has less than 40K miles on it. I've been smelling coolant for about 3 years and added less than a gallon over that period but could never find a puddle or leak.

Until this week when I finally noticed a small puddle and took a look. Didn't even know about this issue or this site until now.

Here's my question: What's up with the prices on this site? Could this even be remotekly possible? An aftermarket radiator for $15 bucks? An OEM GM rad for $30?

Anyone know what's up with this site?

This site:
Discount Auto Radiators - Radiator

Old 05-31-2015, 09:09 PM

Here's a screenshot:

Read If Your H3 Radiator Has Cracked or Leaked-radiator-ad.jpg

Is this for real?

Quick Reply: Read If Your H3 Radiator Has Cracked or Leaked