Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Read If Your H3 Radiator Has Cracked or Leaked

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 11:48 AM
Default Last photos of my radiator install.

Attached are the final photos of my radiator install. This install wasn't too difficult even for a person with zero maintenance expierence such as myself. I hit a few hiccups with the tranny fluid line clips, and the metal lip rubbing my radiator, but after... 4 hours I got it all figured out. So far I have yet to see any leaks, i'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Attached Thumbnails Read If Your H3 Radiator Has Cracked or Leaked-imag1611.2.jpg   Read If Your H3 Radiator Has Cracked or Leaked-imag1612.2.jpg  
Old 02-19-2013, 07:23 AM

We need someone with the tenacity, knowledge, and perseverance to start a class action suit for the hundreds (thousands? GM will never tell us) affected by this to recover costs.

I'm hoping to get my H3 back from the dealer today or tomorrow after the holiday weekend without a car.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:49 PM

Mine just cracked at 70,000 miles. At the top, not where the metal touches. 6" crack on the drivers side top. I tried liquid steel on it, then JB weld, then a Permatex patch kit that is like JB weld but with a piece of fiberglass laid in the jb weld... All failed..

Replaced it with a $150 chinese piece.. Good so far after week. Dealer wanted $410 for a Delco..

Old 02-27-2013, 09:42 PM

Did you contact G.M. before spending your own money to replace it so you would have a good quality radiator that has been redesigned so that it won't crack because of the same problem?

Old 02-28-2013, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by egroegart
Did you contact G.M. before spending your own money to replace it so you would have a good quality radiator that has been redesigned so that it won't crack because of the same problem?
I sure hope you're right. I just got mine back from the GM dealer (51,600 miles) and I had the same 6" crack on the front driver's side that let go a week ago.

Total cost: $760.00 for the new radiator, $704.00 for labor, which included an oil change and tire rotation. Cost me $200. overall as I had an external warranty.

We really need a class action lawsuit for this radiator problem.

Oh, and noticed my clock kept resetting on the radiator and today at the doctor's office when I turned the key--nothing. I had had a new battery put in. I pulled up the caps on the top of the battery and lifted up the negative cable with no resistance. I hope it is just loose and not the wrong battery. Going to check after lunch.

Dave

Old 02-28-2013, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by DaveO
We really need a class action lawsuit for this radiator problem.

Oh, and noticed my clock kept resetting on the radiator and today at the doctor's office when I turned the key--nothing. I had had a new battery put in. I pulled up the caps on the top of the battery and lifted up the negative cable with no resistance. I hope it is just loose and not the wrong battery. Going to check after lunch.
What this thread needs is a lot more READING and less posting.

So Dave....... SEARCH "Battery Terminals", the OEMs are crap, get rid of them.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by DaveO

Dave
This will fix your problem:

Last edited by hummerz; 02-28-2013 at 07:35 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:20 AM

Nice setup! Lots of bucks there. What I found was that the cap covering the "new replacement" battery would not allow the oem cable with the shroud that snaps down to seat properly and it could not be tightened. I cut away part of that and it now seats right.
Appropriately, I received an email yesterday from GM wanting to know how satisfied I was with their dealer's service. Suffice it to say, I responded appropriately.

Dave

Originally Posted by hummerz
This will fix your problem:

Old 03-04-2013, 07:33 PM

Okay, So I have a 2007 H3 Hummer 5 cylinder automatic- (3.7l) with 80k miles . Opened the hood last week to check fluids and the radiator fluid was empty. I had removed the hoses to install a K&N air filter so I thought that maybe it was leaking out of where the hoses connected to the radiator because there was an obvious smell when I lifted the hood also. Not the hoses. Cracked radiator- small hair line looking cracks like someone posted pictures of earlier on the top plastic part of radiator towards the driver side. Looks almost like spider cracks. Same radiator cracks that every single person on this thread is describing. When I looked it up- I was in shock to find this thread.

I went to a local radiator shop today- they told me they " we see this all the time with hummers" . I was particularly in shock because I have never missed any scheduled maintenance and have always taken excellent care of my truck, if not Overkill.

I called Hummer and told them that there is obviously a design flaw because hundreds if not thousands of people are having this same issue with the 2007 Hummer. The rep explained to me that "there were not recalls for your particular VIN number, but you can take it to the GM dealership and get them to diagnose it for $100" ....Well I don't have the time or the money to gamble $100 dollars. And I have a K&N air filter, Jet mass airflow sensor and a Jet chip and I don't want to bother taking all that off- Regardless- Those things wouldn't cause a radiator to crack but it gives them something to blame the crack on.

So obviously I'm NOT happy. I've never taken my truck off road. All highway miles. I treat this truck like a baby. GM told me it would be around $800 for a new radiator (I'm hoping that included labor). But I just don't have a grand to drop at any given moment. I'm going to get some quotes to get this thing rebuilt- unless someone has any options on a good aluminum radiator that will actually fit.

I'm all for a class action suit if anyone else is serious. 100% design flaw.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:11 AM
Cool

Originally Posted by smithcameron1988
So obviously I'm NOT happy. I've never taken my truck off road. All highway miles. I treat this truck like a baby. GM told me it would be around $800 for a new radiator (I'm hoping that included labor). But I just don't have a grand to drop at any given moment. I'm going to get some quotes to get this thing rebuilt- unless someone has any options on a good aluminum radiator that will actually fit.

I'm all for a class action suit if anyone else is serious. 100% design flaw.

We apparently don't have any Lawyers who own Hummers. If we did, we'd see a class action suit by now..

Quick Reply: Read If Your H3 Radiator Has Cracked or Leaked