Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Please help me my cv joint has broken for the third time....

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 06:49 PM
Default Please help me my cv joint has broken for the third time....

I have a 2006 Hummer H3. I have had to replace the CV drive shaft on both sides and the main axle. For some odd reason this is the third time the driver side has broken. Someone told me it was in 4wheel drive (out of three buttons left light has been on since I bought it). I don't know why this is occuring someone please help me I LOVE MY BIG BABY BUT THIS IS STARTING TO COST ME...

Old 11-12-2018, 09:16 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to HF. Moved this to the H3 section as you are asking a tech question.

Let's get some terms straight. H3s have a CV joint on the front drive shaft where it connects to the front of the Transfer Case.
They also have Half Shafts that connect to each wheel hub in the front (from the front differential) that have a CV joint and expandable U Joint.

#20 below is a Half Shaft.

An axle is inside a tube, the H3 has a front axle and axle tube only on the driver side. So I do not know what you mean by "main axle" with certainty.

H3s are always in 4wd, you can select High, Hi Lock, and Low Lock. You should never drive on dry pavement in lock mode.

What brand is whoever doing your work using? If I were replacing front Half Shafts I would NOT use cheap Asian garbage, I would use AC Delco Half Shafts.

Old 11-14-2018, 07:43 AM

If you have busted 4 half shafts AND the front differential intermediate shaft there is definitely a major issue.

Are you sure you are in 4 HI UNLOCKED? The transfer case indicator can show 4 HI Unlocked and the H3 is actually in 4 HI LOCKED.
Plastic shift for issues have plagued the 06/07 H3s.

Is it hard to turn in a tight circle? Do the tires "chirp" on tight turns on dry pavement?

Old 11-14-2018, 05:03 PM
Default ez safe test

stop on hill. turn hard l or r. in neut if you dont roll down u r in lock mode.

Old 05-13-2020, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Shay'Mar Bell
I have a 2006 Hummer H3. I have had to replace the CV drive shaft on both sides and the main axle. For some odd reason this is the third time the driver side has broken. Someone told me it was in 4wheel drive (out of three buttons left light has been on since I bought it). I don't know why this is occuring someone please help me I LOVE MY BIG BABY BUT THIS IS STARTING TO COST ME...
hello. Did you fixed your axle? What was the reason? I have the same problem on my 2006 hummer h3. In just 1 year my front axle broke 3 times.

Old 05-13-2020, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by ron123
hello. Did you fixed your axle? What was the reason? I have the same problem on my 2006 hummer h3. In just 1 year my front axle broke 3 times.
User error! Inside 14 years, my front axle is still oem. Lovin' every minute of it..

Old 05-14-2020, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ron123
Hello and welcome ron123. You are digging some fairly OLD stuff here, which is not the way we ask you to do it here.

Anyways, since the Original Poster never bothered to decipher what the heck they were talking about, not real confident I understand what it is you are asking?

Like the others were attempting to point out.... if you are driving stuck in 4Hi Lock, it will cause issues. That would be hummerz' operator error. Doesn't matter what button light is on, it can be stuck in lock and it ain't too hard to figure that out. Do some searching please. Post up a brand new H3 section thread with any questions you may have after that.