Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Automatic Headlight Question. Differences between model years

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2020, 10:59 PM
Question Automatic Headlight Question. Differences between model years

New official registered member but long time hummer owner and lurker not sure why I never signed up before.

I have owned a 2006 Hummer H3 for a long time but recently found the Holy Grail of H3's and purchased that as well.
The new ride is a low mileage 2010 H3 Alpha with off road package featuring front and rear lockers. Same black on black as my 06 so I was happy.

My question revolves around the automatic headlight differences between my 2006 and 2010.
On my 2006 when in "Auto" mode, as soon as I turn the ignition on the the headlights come on when dark out.
On my 2010 when in "Auto" mode the headlights don't come on until the engine is running and the shifter is in Drive.

Question is if this is how others members hummers behave as well? I strongly prefer how my 2006 headlights operate and am now wondering what controls the difference?
If it is programmed into the main PCM then I guess I am stuck with it but if it is controlled by the headlight switch module itself I may be able to swap the modules to achieve the desired result?

Any thoughts are appreciated ?

Old 05-14-2020, 02:01 AM

Welcome to HF from SoCal. Yes my 08 headlight only come on after you shift out of park. When I start it and have it in park only the driving lights come on.

Old 05-14-2020, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by scoreh3
Welcome to HF from SoCal. Yes my 08 headlight only come on after you shift out of park. When I start it and have it in park only the driving lights come on.
Same here for my '08 Alpha.

Old 05-14-2020, 08:51 AM

Thank you for the fast response. Looks like then my 2010 is operating the way it was designed at least. After some more home work it looks like switching the headlight control models between the two would do nothing as it is the same part numer across all years: 15101467.

I am guessing this was a change to the BCM over the years. I assume the headlights also use the neutral position sensor to determine when the vehicle is no longer in park. If it was a separate sensor just for the headlights you could likely defeat it by jumping it but of course you don't want to to that on the neutral position sensor due to its other important functions besides the headlights. Looks like I will just have to learn to live with it. First world problems i suppose...

Old 05-14-2020, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator

2006 was a different and one year only animal as it relates to DRLs and Headlights set through the BCM.

You scored a nice truck, Congrats!

BTW, I like my 2009 Alpha Off Road with LH8 better than the 2010 LH9.

Did that on purpose. Can't use handheld pocket tuners on any LH9 Alpha, limited to mail order Tunes or full HP Tuner. Not much of a limiter, but still a difference.

Old 05-14-2020, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
2006 was a different and one year only animal as it relates to DRLs and Headlights set through the BCM.

You scored a nice truck, Congrats!

BTW, I like my 2009 Alpha Off Road with LH8 better than the 2010 LH9.

Did that on purpose. Can't use handheld pocket tuners on any LH9 Alpha, limited to mail order Tunes or full HP Tuner. Not much of a limiter, but still a difference.

Thanks for the welcome! I was wondering when I would hear something on the LH9 vs the LH8! Having spent a lot of time in the world of cummins diesels I love my Smarty turner so there is value add there! Just came down to whichever year I found first.

or maybe...

I really wanted that flex fuel capability...yup that was definitely the deciding factor

Old 05-14-2020, 11:21 AM

What Doc said. 2006 DRL's were the amber parking lights, 2007? & later used the headlights as DRL's.