Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Oil Leak but from where?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2021, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator

Check the diff fluid level. If not overfull, power wash the underside with soap and see if it continues.

Old 09-07-2021, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by wpage
OK after looking again this AM the leak has been identified as the Shaft Seal. As suggested by one of the Guru's here.

Thanks to all. Now to find someone to fix this. Beyond my skill set.
Inspect the vent tube!

Old 09-08-2021, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
Check the diff fluid level. If not overfull, power wash the underside with soap and see if it continues.
Thanks for that Doc, The gear oil level was down and needed topping off a few ounces of gear oil. So I believe there is no doubt the seal has a problem. ..

Thanks for the part number , and suggestions, for the power steering clamp. Soon as the parts are in this puppy will be repaired and on the road again.

Old 09-08-2021, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for that Doc, The gear oil level was down and needed topping off a few ounces of gear oil. So I believe there is no doubt the seal has a problem. ...
I made that suggestion because the #1 cause of diff leaks is............. OVERFILLING! So, if you added some (too much) then this started, you know why.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 09-28-2021, 05:57 AM

Happy to report back that the leak has stopped. While waiting for my 10-4-21 appointment in the shop for seal replacement. Decided to try a few things. Thanks for some of the great suggestions that evidently helped. So 1st I Jacked it up and reset to factory sets the front wheels back 2 full turns to reduce torsion bars from where I set them years ago for some additional clearance. 2nd replaced the steering clamp and gasket which was offset, 3rd Changed the fluid in transaxle res...

Low and behold the leak stopped! Steering and cornering miraculously is even better then before. So my prayer was answered and thanks to all for the suggestions.

Old 10-03-2021, 09:34 AM

Happy to report back that the leak has stopped. While waiting for my 10-4-21 appointment in the shop for seal replacement. Decided to try a few things. Thanks for some of the great suggestions that evidently helped. So 1st I Jacked it up and reset to factory sets the front wheels back 2 full turns to reduce torsion bars from where I set them years ago for some additional clearance. 2nd replaced the steering clamp and gasket which was offset, 3rd Changed the fluid in transaxle res...

Low and behold the leak stopped! Steering and cornering miraculously is even better then before. So my prayer was answered and thanks to all for the suggestions.
Glad your issue was resolved! Mine leaks a bit of diff fluid from the driver's side axle seal (drips in the same spot as yours was). I replaced it once and a marginal leak has sprung once more lol.

Old 10-08-2021, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Dylan Rogers
Glad your issue was resolved! Mine leaks a bit of diff fluid from the driver's side axle seal (drips in the same spot as yours was). I replaced it once and a marginal leak has sprung once more lol.
Hey Dyl, if your dripping again after replacing the seal could be like was suggested too much fluid in your reservoir. Also were your torsion bars tweaked to bring up the front end? If so you may want to crank them down some. It will tow in your front tires a bit and reduce some strain on seals.