Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

lower grill removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 04:36 PM
Default RE: lower grill removal

Sorry, rhill...I musta missed this thread....my bad. I never removed the lower gill. I did all the work while it was on the truck. I removed the main grill and had plenty of room to work on the lower grill. Leaving it in actually made life easier because it acted like a vise, easier to cut holes and work on everything.

Name:  LG2.jpg
Views: 1318
Size:  58.9 KB

Name:  lglightson2.jpg
Views: 1247
Size:  29.5 KB

Old 02-09-2008, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator

Hey Mike; remember you said the battery air intake hose was your horn when we were talking about it? Your horn is pictured right there behind your grill on the left side.

What were you smokin' that day?

Old 02-09-2008, 08:19 PM

That horn was always there...but I also have another up where most have that ait intake thing. The power wire to that horn in the pic above is spliced and there is another wire loom running to the other horn...I'll take better pictures of it next time I am working on the truck.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:28 PM
Default help

I am about to do the same as importkiller did above - cutom fit some small lights into the lower grille. question is...can this lower grille be removed without removing the upper grille. i have a grille guard as well as really dont want to disassemble a bunch of crap. is there anyway to remove the lower grille and re-install it wothout breaking it. please advise...

importkiller...what did you use to keep those lights in there? custom brackets or some sort of glue or epoxy? I'm thinking of using an epoxy or some glue that will bond metal to plastic really well.

Any suggestions...

Old 01-20-2011, 09:53 PM

WOW, another 2 year old thread! Don't think he will answer you unless he has been lurking since July of 08.

Check this info out!

importkiller
Total Posts: 7,253
Posts Per Day: 4.18
Find all posts by importkiller
Find all threads started by importkiller
General Information
Last Activity: 07-24-2008 11:41 PM
Referrals: 1

And if you READ his post it says:
" I never removed the lower gill. I did all the work while it was on the truck. I removed the main grill and had plenty of room to work on the lower grill. Leaving it in actually made life easier because it acted like a vise, easier to cut holes and work on everything."

Old 01-21-2011, 07:47 AM

Ahh....yea, I also read that if it's done gently and correctly, it can removed without taking off the pper grille. i was hoping someone had done it....

Old 01-21-2011, 10:45 AM

Well whitey, if you already read that why not ask that person how they did it?

If you have a brushguard you will neet to remove it to get the upper grill off.
If you have a brushguard you will need to remove it to get the lower grill off.
YES, you can remove the lower portion of the grill without removing the upper gril, but you still need to remove your brushguard.

Hope this helps!

Old 01-22-2011, 08:42 AM

actually - i WAS able to remove the lower grille without disassembling anything. it went back in just as easy. thanks though...

Old 04-28-2018, 01:41 PM
Default install a 30" led light bar

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
Attachment 20260

Number 18 is the screen.....lower grill. It has slots in its flange, two top, one on each side, two on bottom. The slots have metal crimp clips....kinda V or U shaped around each slot. The inside of the Bumper cover, #1, has flat plastic prongs that stick out to the rear. They go in the slots, get pinched by the metal clips and it stays. It is like removing an interior piece, start at one side and push in firmly, the grill will move back when the clip/slot lets free of the flat plastic prong. Go all the way round one at a time till it is no longer connecte and manipulate it to pull it out from the front through the hole. Pretty easy, but do not do it if it is extremely cold because the plastic prongs become brittle and can break.

Didn't we talk about this yesterday? Now I'm sharing the secrets of the holy grail with everybody. [&o]
Hi Doc. I want to mount a 30" led light bar where the lower vent is. On my Hummer there is a plastic shroud that starts by the vent and looks like it ends around the skis plate. Does that have to be removed to mount the light bar?

Thank you in advance.