Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

headlight aiming issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2021, 08:30 PM
Default headlight aiming issue

hi all, new to the forum and a new to me H3 !

as i read in one of the posts here, it needs some TLC and i'm in the process of getting it back to an almost showroom condition, minus the typical wear and tear that's expected of a 2007 model. one of the issues i'm having is adjusting the main headlights.

in the manual it states that you measure from the ground to the middle marker on the headlight. mark that same height on a wall and then move the vehicle back 25ft and adjust the beams so that they meet the mark on the wall and you are good to go.

but to me after doing that, it seems the beams are shooting too high in the air and possibly into the faces of oncoming vehicles. where as i thought they should be aiming downward at the 25ft mark so you can see terrain up ahead.

is anyone able to chime in and give me the actual way they should be aimed ? any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-03-2021, 09:30 AM

Don't think about it too much. Make sure you're on level ground when adjusting them.

If they're aimmed too high, you'll know. People will flash you thinking you have your high beams on. If you think they need to be aimed lower, make the necessary adjustments.

Old 08-03-2021, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator

They should be aimed where you want them to be aimed, but not so high as to blind oncoming traffic. You do not need manuals, tape measures or anything but eyeballs and the Torx driver to turn the screws.

If you were planning on a headlight upgrade, do that before you spend time adjusting the lights you have now.

Old 08-03-2021, 04:58 PM
Old 08-04-2021, 09:15 AM

thanks, i'm still used to driving a car where everything is lower. where i live the police can be a problem and have had a couple run ins with them over what you and i would call nothing.... they tend to target people in 4x4 and other high sitting vehicles. if they seem to be a problem (getting lights flashed at me, etc.) i'll do what another person said in the forums here and lower them to what a car shines at. but for now i'm good with them !

also, i found a link to a repair manual download on one of the sections here, but forgot to use it. would anyone have that link or another one i can grab the PDF of ?