Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Belt tensioner removal tool?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2021, 10:39 PM
Default Belt tensioner removal tool?

Is there a recommended belt tensioner removal tool for the H3's (others)? Or can I just crank down on the tensioner pulley bolt to get it to loosen enough tension to remove the belt? Yes I will be replacing the tensioner and other pulley as well.

Old 08-04-2021, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by mikesbaron
Is there a recommended belt tensioner removal tool for the H3's (others)? Or can I just crank down on the tensioner pulley bolt to get it to loosen enough tension to remove the belt? Yes I will be replacing the tensioner and other pulley as well.
Hey Mike, I just use a 3/8" drive ratchet and the loop end of an adjustable wrench over over ratchet handle if I need more leverage. The 3/8" "head" or "square" should slide into the little box cutout on the belt tensioner arm. By applying force to the ratchet, the tensioner compresses, ultimately loosening the belt and allowing for belt removal. Here's a video on tensioner replacement. It doesn't show what I'm talking about in detail but may be of some help. An actual tensioner tool is pretty unnecessary.

Last edited by Dylan Rogers; 08-04-2021 at 01:11 AM.
Old 08-04-2021, 09:59 AM

I couldn't get the belt back on using my longer handled 3/8" ratchet. I had to remove the top radiator hose and airbox, and then use a longer handled torque wrench to get enough leverage removed to slip the belt on. I've done belts before but never the reverse style like this H3. I would definitely recommend anyone doing this to purchase the tool, remove the top radiator hose at the very least.

The toughest and longest part was getting the idler pulley off and on, and getting the belt back on.

Old 08-04-2021, 10:49 AM

Great VIdeo

Old 08-04-2021, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by mikesbaron
I couldn't get the belt back on using my longer handled 3/8" ratchet. I had to remove the top radiator hose and airbox, and then use a longer handled torque wrench to get enough leverage removed to slip the belt on. I've done belts before but never the reverse style like this H3. I would definitely recommend anyone doing this to purchase the tool, remove the top radiator hose at the very least.

The toughest and longest part was getting the idler pulley off and on, and getting the belt back on.
Hey Mike, glad to you figured out! The layout is a bit challenging to maneuver around, for sure. Here's a photo of the method I use to avoid removing the hose (I do not like dealing with those spring loaded clips) and air box. It should only take a few minutes to remove and re-install a belt using this method:

Standard length 3/8" drive handle & large adjustable wrench.

Ratchet into tensioner arm cut-out & handle loop of adjustable wrench around the handle of the ratchet for leverage. This is still doable with the mechanical fan, although the fan is "touched" by the wrench. This step avoids having to remove anything else.

I slip the belt over this pulley last during re-installation because it seems easiest to me.

Old 08-04-2021, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by ski.dive
Great VIdeo
Thank you, Ski Dive