PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H3 Stereo upgrade options?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 06:44 PM
Default RE: H3 Stereo upgrade options?

Well I did it - I got the Neucleus NC-X2i, with the cable made for radios without XM radio (so it should work with the base Hummer H3's stereo.

Now I thought this was just basically something that simply went inline with the 12 pin connector harness to the radio - no special wiring needed.

Well, when I got it, it did look just like the ad - nice inline harness and all, but there were 4 extra wires with stripped ends... and instructions saying "connect this wire to the 12 volt constant battery supply, this one to chassis ground..." etc.

No I know nothing about wireing something new to the battery, and thought this little thing would just draw power from the existing radio harness... [:@]

HELP!

I do have it all hooked up as far as the plugs, sockets, etc go, but it's doing nothing at all that way, and probably will continue to do nothing until it gets power... can I tap into power going to the radio? Do I have to run wires and stuff from the fuse box? The battery itself???

How did you guys do this? Any help with guiding me as to how to get this interface powered up would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Jer

Old 05-30-2006, 09:06 PM

Forget the previous post - I figgered it all out... [sm=happy046.gif]

There was really only one line to connect - the yellow wire (power) and I spliced it right into the power wire to one of the cigarette lighter outlets (the orange wire) and the thing works great - I totally recommend it.

This device (the Neucleus NC-X2i) DOES work just fine with the BASE radio on the 2006 Hummer H3; the radio without the CD changer or XM enabled.

It is activated by pressing the BAND button, which now will take you through FM1, FM2, AM and now, your iPod.

Once you've selected the iPod, all the buttons are now redefined to control, use and navigation of the iPod. You can browse by Playlist, Artist, Genre, Album, and use the same **** that you use to dial through radio stations (the tune ****) to scroll through the items you can listen to. While this feature sounds a lot like a scroll wheel navigation, in actual use it's not near as nice - you really can zip quickly through things, but only "numerically" zipping past item 1..2..3..4.5.. etc, but the name of that item will not show until you pause for a second. So to pick a song by name is a bit tedious. Also, since the display only uses 8 characters to show names, it can look a little weird if you name your playlists with long names that only differ by the last part of the name (Like "top 10 of the 70s" "top 10 of the 80s" will look the same.) Names of songs will scroll (slowly) when the song is selected. Artist and Album and playlists are shown by pressing the Cat or "i" buttons.

This is where Manual Mode comes in handy - right from the radio you can switch in and out of manual mode; no need to flip dip switches and stuff and choose one mode during install. Manual Mode which returns control to the iPod's scroll / click wheel (which under the other mode disables the iPod's controls). So if you want to not stash the iPod away in the glove box, you can mount it or lay it somewhere and use it as you normally would. But also even though it's "manual Mode" you can still use the next / prev / ffwd / rew buttons on the radio too. Very nice.

One thing I don't like is, oddly enough you cannot easily flip in and out of shuffle mode - which I use a lot. The only way I could find to do it was go in to manual mode, select shuffle on the iPod, then return to controlled mode and you can skip to the next song then using fwd and back buttons. And also, starting the iPod playing the first time in a session, or switching songs mid stream, gives a little burp/skip of the track before it "settles in" and plays.

Anyway, installation was pretty easy, aside from the splicing into the power (why couldn't it take power from the radio from the plugs?).

The sound is clean and clear - volume is at the same level as the radio CD - so no volume twiddling when changing input sources, and as a bonus (which I'm not using yet) you get another aux input (also selectable from the radio).

This is a cool unit. Cost with shipping is ab out $200.

Old 05-31-2006, 03:12 AM

I'm glad you made it bro. BTW, do you get a weird noise when crank all the volume up and the Ipod in PAUSE or not Ipod conected at all??? A weird sound like roaches fighting in the sound system or sounds the wire line is dirty or something like that??? Cause I do...>!!![:@]....I got the Uni-Pod and AUXGMV3 from LogJam....The connections are perfect.... And one more question, do you get the same volume level with your Ipod interface as with your CD Player??? Cause my CD Player and FM sounds way higher than the Ipod...??? Do you have any clue? And do you have the most basic radio (No XM compatible neither CD Changer) ???? Thanks.

If anyone can help me with the weird noise that I'm getting from my Ipod Interface or have any clue about this problem please, I'll really appreciate your help....!!!!

Old 06-01-2006, 12:33 AM

I do get a little crinkly-squeeky sound right when it's all starting up, but it is very quiet even if cranked all the way when nothing is playing (about as noisy as the CD is)

As for volumn of the iPod, like I said it is at the same relative level as the CD and radio - so i don't know what might be up with yours, I know some of them have little trim pots to adjust the levels.

Good luck with your setup - hope you get the cockroaches out :-)

And yeah, I have the most basic radio they offer - single CD with FM/AM - no changer and no XM, even though the radio did have buttons that the manual said only work for XM setups.

Old 06-06-2006, 05:57 PM

I do have the XM radio - so I had to change the jumper inside the module to "XM". After some experimentation I found that to switch to the IPOD Mode I had to switch to XM, punch the scan button once up, once down and it changes modes. The volume is relatively the same.

Old 06-10-2006, 05:37 AM

Hey traveller, do you have the most basic factory radio in you H3? and if you do, are you using the AUXGMV3 and the Uni-Pod from LogJamElectronics?. Thanks.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:22 PM

I am about to install the auxgmv3 device to my 2006 H3 Hummer that has the XM radio and would like to know if using the cigarette lighter outlet as a 12V power source is a good idea. The cigarette lighter power source isn't switched, the the auxgmv3 device would draw power even when the isn't running, correct?

What are the alternatives? I was trying to figure out which wire on the radio harness to tap for juice, but have been rather unsuccessful trying to find the right one. What color should the wire have?

Thanks!
tallbiker66

[quote=Jerence;6518]Forget the previous post - I figgered it all out... [sm=happy046.gif]

There was really only one line to connect - the yellow wire (power) and I spliced it right into the power wire to one of the cigarette lighter outlets (the orange wire) and the thing works great - I totally recommend it.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator

Please do not dig up three year old threads. Almost everyone who posted in it is long gone.

Next time, after you have searched for the answer to your question(s), and still cannot get the info you are looking for, start a new one.

I'm locking this fossil.