Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/)
-   -   H3 Stereo upgrade options? (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/h3-stereo-upgrade-options-468/)

Jerence 03-03-2006 02:16 PM

H3 Stereo upgrade options?

Greetings everyone...

Just got my H3 a couple weeks ago - love it love it love it. There was one seemingly insignificant issue with the whole package that I had planned to fix up myself, and that was the stereo. I didn't like the sound, functionality, or interface of any of the factory installed options, and told the sales guy that I would be upgrading this on my own after purchase, so just give me the base model.

Well, now I find that just about any model I am interested in replacing it with - even the high end dual dins that should be a great match for the stock dual din, are not a "fit" for the H3. Why is this? Is it because of the curved faceplate? Something behind the scenes concerning clearance or mounting hardware? Something about the wiring? Is it that is messes with the integration of OnStar's radio display and pass-through audio?

Why can't I upgrade it?

Has anyone here had the stereo replaced / upgraded with success? If so, what model of unit did you get, and who put it in for you? Any hacking issues or mods to make it work? Can in-dash speakers be added?

The MAIN thing I'm looking for is direct connection of my iPod (preferably through the use of one of the several CD changer adapter boxes that work with many new had units out there, rather than just an aux in), better speakers (I have some excellent Boston Acoustics with satellite tweeters to transplant), a 4 channel XPlodes power amp (taken from my old vehicle), and subwoofer (a self powered bazooka tube to retrofit). Besides having a sweet looking ride, it's got to be sweet sounding. I'm a musician and my ears need to enjoy the ride too.

What are my options? Oddly enough, my dealer knows nothing about any audio upgrades, and insists that the system I have is one of the best around (duh, NO!)

Thanks in advance for any help or comments.

JB

branstone 03-03-2006 04:13 PM

RE: H3 Stereo upgrade options?

I am getting an ipod interface installed in my factory monsoon system at the dealer right now !

$149

Jerence 03-06-2006 12:48 PM

Cool; I figured it could be done to the Monsoon system since it has the CD changer (the iPod interface box connects to the changer jack) - but I'm wondering if anyone knows if the base model stereo - which does not have the changer - might anyway have the CD changer jack on it anyway in case you wanted to add a changer later?

If it does, I can add the iPod adapter to it easily. (and deal with the speakers, sub, etc. easy enuf)

traveller 05-11-2006 04:01 PM

Hi Branstone!

I am looking for an IPOD or auxilary audio input for my 06 H3. Dealer has been telling me they are not aware of a compatible harness / interface. I know there are some out there for the H2 but so far no one has confirmed for me about one for the H3. Please let me know what interface you're using, and if you the wiring had to be customized to make it work!

I appreciate any info

Traveller

Golden Shellback 05-11-2006 04:09 PM

check these...... http://www.logjamelectronics.com/soundauxgm.html and http://www.logjamelectronics.com/blitzuii.html

BlackH3CA 05-13-2006 01:02 AM

Go backwards...And get a tape deck....the Ipod works great connected through the tape deck....

seijiro 05-16-2006 08:15 AM

Does anyone knows if the Stock Radio (Basic Package with no CD Changer) comes with the AUX opstion built in. ???. I really appreciate your help.

CruisinCarAudio 05-19-2006 03:41 AM

All the accessory you will need for your radio can be found at Pacific Accessory Corporation. Dont try doing it yourself by snipping wires, These guys have Aux input adapters, Amp pre out adapters, onstar retaining adapter for hooking up after market radios,

seijiro 05-19-2006 05:19 AM

Thanks but I tried PAC already, exactly the item that they offer for my car, and it didnt work...!!! It was perfectly installed, It charged my Ipod but didnt read the Ipod or we just couldt get the right button on the radio to switch from FM, CD or whatever to the Ipod. (We try all the buttonsl)

And for those that have the same problem as me, the Basic CD Player only factory radio for the 2006 Hummer H3 does NOT come with AUX output built in. I still cant find the right harness to create a AUX Output for the Ipod Input converter...!!! It seems that this company: http://www.logjamelectronics.com/soundauxgm.html came out with the right harness by only using the BAND Button on your factory radio, even tho you dont have to have a CD Changer or XM compatible factory radio. (NOTE: This is only for those who want to keep the factory radio and add an Ipod to it).

traveller 05-22-2006 03:34 PM

I checked and purchased the one from Logjam Electronics. I installed on Saturday, it sounds great!! I am very pleased, thanks for the links.

BTW, I know I found some pic's for pulling the Bezel off by putting your fingers in the two power ports on the lower right. I was nervous about possibly breaking something becase the bezel was flexing but not pulling out. I used a paint can opener to stick in the port and Hook the port (there is a small gap inside if you look) and pulled there, the bezel came loose. Once I got that, it was about a half hour install (pull radio, disconnect wiring, install and route adapter ect and re-install). !!