Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/)
-   -   H3 Stereo upgrade options? (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/h3-stereo-upgrade-options-468/)

Jerence 03-03-2006 02:16 PM

H3 Stereo upgrade options?

Greetings everyone...

Just got my H3 a couple weeks ago - love it love it love it. There was one seemingly insignificant issue with the whole package that I had planned to fix up myself, and that was the stereo. I didn't like the sound, functionality, or interface of any of the factory installed options, and told the sales guy that I would be upgrading this on my own after purchase, so just give me the base model.

Well, now I find that just about any model I am interested in replacing it with - even the high end dual dins that should be a great match for the stock dual din, are not a "fit" for the H3. Why is this? Is it because of the curved faceplate? Something behind the scenes concerning clearance or mounting hardware? Something about the wiring? Is it that is messes with the integration of OnStar's radio display and pass-through audio?

Why can't I upgrade it?

Has anyone here had the stereo replaced / upgraded with success? If so, what model of unit did you get, and who put it in for you? Any hacking issues or mods to make it work? Can in-dash speakers be added?

The MAIN thing I'm looking for is direct connection of my iPod (preferably through the use of one of the several CD changer adapter boxes that work with many new had units out there, rather than just an aux in), better speakers (I have some excellent Boston Acoustics with satellite tweeters to transplant), a 4 channel XPlodes power amp (taken from my old vehicle), and subwoofer (a self powered bazooka tube to retrofit). Besides having a sweet looking ride, it's got to be sweet sounding. I'm a musician and my ears need to enjoy the ride too.

What are my options? Oddly enough, my dealer knows nothing about any audio upgrades, and insists that the system I have is one of the best around (duh, NO!)

Thanks in advance for any help or comments.

JB

branstone 03-03-2006 04:13 PM

RE: H3 Stereo upgrade options?

I am getting an ipod interface installed in my factory monsoon system at the dealer right now !

$149

Jerence 03-06-2006 12:48 PM

Cool; I figured it could be done to the Monsoon system since it has the CD changer (the iPod interface box connects to the changer jack) - but I'm wondering if anyone knows if the base model stereo - which does not have the changer - might anyway have the CD changer jack on it anyway in case you wanted to add a changer later?

If it does, I can add the iPod adapter to it easily. (and deal with the speakers, sub, etc. easy enuf)

traveller 05-11-2006 04:01 PM

Hi Branstone!

I am looking for an IPOD or auxilary audio input for my 06 H3. Dealer has been telling me they are not aware of a compatible harness / interface. I know there are some out there for the H2 but so far no one has confirmed for me about one for the H3. Please let me know what interface you're using, and if you the wiring had to be customized to make it work!

I appreciate any info

Traveller

Golden Shellback 05-11-2006 04:09 PM

check these...... http://www.logjamelectronics.com/soundauxgm.html and http://www.logjamelectronics.com/blitzuii.html

BlackH3CA 05-13-2006 01:02 AM

Go backwards...And get a tape deck....the Ipod works great connected through the tape deck....

seijiro 05-16-2006 08:15 AM

Does anyone knows if the Stock Radio (Basic Package with no CD Changer) comes with the AUX opstion built in. ???. I really appreciate your help.

CruisinCarAudio 05-19-2006 03:41 AM

All the accessory you will need for your radio can be found at Pacific Accessory Corporation. Dont try doing it yourself by snipping wires, These guys have Aux input adapters, Amp pre out adapters, onstar retaining adapter for hooking up after market radios,

seijiro 05-19-2006 05:19 AM

Thanks but I tried PAC already, exactly the item that they offer for my car, and it didnt work...!!! It was perfectly installed, It charged my Ipod but didnt read the Ipod or we just couldt get the right button on the radio to switch from FM, CD or whatever to the Ipod. (We try all the buttonsl)

And for those that have the same problem as me, the Basic CD Player only factory radio for the 2006 Hummer H3 does NOT come with AUX output built in. I still cant find the right harness to create a AUX Output for the Ipod Input converter...!!! It seems that this company: http://www.logjamelectronics.com/soundauxgm.html came out with the right harness by only using the BAND Button on your factory radio, even tho you dont have to have a CD Changer or XM compatible factory radio. (NOTE: This is only for those who want to keep the factory radio and add an Ipod to it).

traveller 05-22-2006 03:34 PM

I checked and purchased the one from Logjam Electronics. I installed on Saturday, it sounds great!! I am very pleased, thanks for the links.

BTW, I know I found some pic's for pulling the Bezel off by putting your fingers in the two power ports on the lower right. I was nervous about possibly breaking something becase the bezel was flexing but not pulling out. I used a paint can opener to stick in the port and Hook the port (there is a small gap inside if you look) and pulled there, the bezel came loose. Once I got that, it was about a half hour install (pull radio, disconnect wiring, install and route adapter ect and re-install). !!

Dennis 05-22-2006 04:02 PM

This is in reference to Travller's comment about using the finger method...worked for me.

Removing The Bezel

My favorite way to remove the bezel is to use two fingers in the accessory power holes and pull up and out. The bottom corner should pop right out. From here, just work your way arounnd the edge to loosen all of the clips.

Unplug The Bezel Wires

If you have an automatic transmission, you should move the shifter all the way back so you can better access the connectors on the back of the bezel. There are eight harnesses in all connected to the bezel

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b4...er/fingers.jpg

importkiller 05-23-2006 01:09 AM

Tell the truth...you take the bezel off by putting your fingers in the power holes because you avoid getting any finger prints on it that way.[sm=joke.gif]

shortbus 05-23-2006 01:12 AM

ORIGINAL: Dennis

This is in reference to Travller's comment about using the finger method...worked for me.

Removing The Bezel

My favorite way to remove the bezel is to use two fingers in the accessory power holes and pull up and out. The bottom corner should pop right out. From here, just work your way arounnd the edge to loosen all of the clips.

Unplug The Bezel Wires

If you have an automatic transmission, you should move the shifter all the way back so you can better access the connectors on the back of the bezel. There are eight harnesses in all connected to the bezel

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b4...er/fingers.jpg

do you get professional manicures? or are you a hand model? you seem to be posting a lot of pics of your hands lately. just don't tell us where they've been. . . .[:-]

Dennis 05-23-2006 01:12 AM

Well..That's partly true..the other reason is if you leave the battery hooked up, you can get a little jolt..just to keep you tough[8D]

Dennis 05-23-2006 01:16 AM

Okay..I'm done with hands now..we'll be moving on to model other appendages next.[sm=Flahssssss.gif]

shortbus 05-23-2006 01:22 AM

please, don't go to that extreme on my account. i hate having to put on my reading glasses for the small print . . . . .:eek:

Dennis 05-23-2006 01:29 AM

LMAO..It's been a fun knight..Time for bed..Night -all

Btw..it maybe small print but it's a very LONG sentance;)

seijiro 05-23-2006 02:41 AM

ORIGINAL: traveller

I checked and purchased the one from Logjam Electronics. I installed on Saturday, it sounds great!! I am very pleased, thanks for the links.

BTW, I know I found some pic's for pulling the Bezel off by putting your fingers in the two power ports on the lower right. I was nervous about possibly breaking something becase the bezel was flexing but not pulling out. I used a paint can opener to stick in the port and Hook the port (there is a small gap inside if you look) and pulled there, the bezel came loose. Once I got that, it was about a half hour install (pull radio, disconnect wiring, install and route adapter ect and re-install). !!

Nice, that it works for you buddy. Just a question? Did you have the same problem as me??? Did you NO AUX Output (No CD Cahnger NO XM Compatible) ????? "Most Bsic Factory Radio) ????

I also purchased the harness kid and the Ipod interface, and I'm receiving the shipping hopefylly in 3 days. I hope it works for me too "If you have the same radio as me". BTW, how do you change from FM or CD Player to the Ipod (What button do you press or how does it works)????

Thanks and post any problems here with your new Ipod's harness kid...!!! (Engine noise, OnStars Problems, Lights poping in your dash, etc...)

Later.

Jerence 05-25-2006 01:28 PM

Thanks for all the great suggestions... I checked out the LogJamElectronics site and was considering buying the aux input converter and iPod interface, when I saw this new item on their site:

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/neucncx2i.html

Looks like this combines the functionality of the two into one product, PLUS having control of the iPod via the existing stereo controls, and if their description is right, will work with the H3's base stereo.

Anyone know anything about this unit?

seijiro 05-27-2006 03:27 AM

ORIGINAL: Jerence

Thanks for all the great suggestions... I checked out the LogJamElectronics site and was considering buying the aux input converter and iPod interface, when I saw this new item on their site:

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/neucncx2i.html

Looks like this combines the functionality of the two into one product, PLUS having control of the iPod via the existing stereo controls, and if their description is right, will work with the H3's base stereo.

Anyone know anything about this unit?

well I got the http://www.logjamelectronics.com/soundauxgm.html and also the http://www.logjamelectronics.com/pieunipod.html and it work perfectly with my base factory radio. It took me 1:30 min to install it, very easy by the way, no skills at all, even tho i've done it 100s of times...No Ipods interfaces tho but car stereos in general...and with no special tool...!!!

100 % recommended and I believe if you say that I recoomend you, I think you get 10% off. Not sure tho...but you can try.
Later.

Jerence 05-30-2006 06:44 PM

Well I did it - I got the Neucleus NC-X2i, with the cable made for radios without XM radio (so it should work with the base Hummer H3's stereo.

Now I thought this was just basically something that simply went inline with the 12 pin connector harness to the radio - no special wiring needed.

Well, when I got it, it did look just like the ad - nice inline harness and all, but there were 4 extra wires with stripped ends... and instructions saying "connect this wire to the 12 volt constant battery supply, this one to chassis ground..." etc.

No I know nothing about wireing something new to the battery, and thought this little thing would just draw power from the existing radio harness... [:@]

HELP!

I do have it all hooked up as far as the plugs, sockets, etc go, but it's doing nothing at all that way, and probably will continue to do nothing until it gets power... can I tap into power going to the radio? Do I have to run wires and stuff from the fuse box? The battery itself???

How did you guys do this? Any help with guiding me as to how to get this interface powered up would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Jer

Jerence 05-30-2006 09:06 PM

Forget the previous post - I figgered it all out... [sm=happy046.gif]

There was really only one line to connect - the yellow wire (power) and I spliced it right into the power wire to one of the cigarette lighter outlets (the orange wire) and the thing works great - I totally recommend it.

This device (the Neucleus NC-X2i) DOES work just fine with the BASE radio on the 2006 Hummer H3; the radio without the CD changer or XM enabled.

It is activated by pressing the BAND button, which now will take you through FM1, FM2, AM and now, your iPod.

Once you've selected the iPod, all the buttons are now redefined to control, use and navigation of the iPod. You can browse by Playlist, Artist, Genre, Album, and use the same knob that you use to dial through radio stations (the tune knob) to scroll through the items you can listen to. While this feature sounds a lot like a scroll wheel navigation, in actual use it's not near as nice - you really can zip quickly through things, but only "numerically" zipping past item 1..2..3..4.5.. etc, but the name of that item will not show until you pause for a second. So to pick a song by name is a bit tedious. Also, since the display only uses 8 characters to show names, it can look a little weird if you name your playlists with long names that only differ by the last part of the name (Like "top 10 of the 70s" "top 10 of the 80s" will look the same.) Names of songs will scroll (slowly) when the song is selected. Artist and Album and playlists are shown by pressing the Cat or "i" buttons.

This is where Manual Mode comes in handy - right from the radio you can switch in and out of manual mode; no need to flip dip switches and stuff and choose one mode during install. Manual Mode which returns control to the iPod's scroll / click wheel (which under the other mode disables the iPod's controls). So if you want to not stash the iPod away in the glove box, you can mount it or lay it somewhere and use it as you normally would. But also even though it's "manual Mode" you can still use the next / prev / ffwd / rew buttons on the radio too. Very nice.

One thing I don't like is, oddly enough you cannot easily flip in and out of shuffle mode - which I use a lot. The only way I could find to do it was go in to manual mode, select shuffle on the iPod, then return to controlled mode and you can skip to the next song then using fwd and back buttons. And also, starting the iPod playing the first time in a session, or switching songs mid stream, gives a little burp/skip of the track before it "settles in" and plays.

Anyway, installation was pretty easy, aside from the splicing into the power (why couldn't it take power from the radio from the plugs?).

The sound is clean and clear - volume is at the same level as the radio CD - so no volume twiddling when changing input sources, and as a bonus (which I'm not using yet) you get another aux input (also selectable from the radio).

This is a cool unit. Cost with shipping is ab out $200.

seijiro 05-31-2006 03:12 AM

I'm glad you made it bro. BTW, do you get a weird noise when crank all the volume up and the Ipod in PAUSE or not Ipod conected at all??? A weird sound like roaches fighting in the sound system or sounds the wire line is dirty or something like that??? Cause I do...>!!![:@]....I got the Uni-Pod and AUXGMV3 from LogJam....The connections are perfect.... And one more question, do you get the same volume level with your Ipod interface as with your CD Player??? Cause my CD Player and FM sounds way higher than the Ipod...??? Do you have any clue? And do you have the most basic radio (No XM compatible neither CD Changer) ???? Thanks.

If anyone can help me with the weird noise that I'm getting from my Ipod Interface or have any clue about this problem please, I'll really appreciate your help....!!!!

Jerence 06-01-2006 12:33 AM

I do get a little crinkly-squeeky sound right when it's all starting up, but it is very quiet even if cranked all the way when nothing is playing (about as noisy as the CD is)

As for volumn of the iPod, like I said it is at the same relative level as the CD and radio - so i don't know what might be up with yours, I know some of them have little trim pots to adjust the levels.

Good luck with your setup - hope you get the cockroaches out :-)

And yeah, I have the most basic radio they offer - single CD with FM/AM - no changer and no XM, even though the radio did have buttons that the manual said only work for XM setups.

traveller 06-06-2006 05:57 PM

I do have the XM radio - so I had to change the jumper inside the module to "XM". After some experimentation I found that to switch to the IPOD Mode I had to switch to XM, punch the scan button once up, once down and it changes modes. The volume is relatively the same.

seijiro 06-10-2006 05:37 AM

Hey traveller, do you have the most basic factory radio in you H3? and if you do, are you using the AUXGMV3 and the Uni-Pod from LogJamElectronics?. Thanks.

tallbiker66 02-18-2009 09:22 PM

I am about to install the auxgmv3 device to my 2006 H3 Hummer that has the XM radio and would like to know if using the cigarette lighter outlet as a 12V power source is a good idea. The cigarette lighter power source isn't switched, the the auxgmv3 device would draw power even when the isn't running, correct?

What are the alternatives? I was trying to figure out which wire on the radio harness to tap for juice, but have been rather unsuccessful trying to find the right one. What color should the wire have?

Thanks!
tallbiker66

[quote=Jerence;6518]Forget the previous post - I figgered it all out... [sm=happy046.gif]

There was really only one line to connect - the yellow wire (power) and I spliced it right into the power wire to one of the cigarette lighter outlets (the orange wire) and the thing works great - I totally recommend it.

Doc Olds 02-18-2009 09:48 PM

Please do not dig up three year old threads. Almost everyone who posted in it is long gone.

Next time, after you have searched for the answer to your question(s), and still cannot get the info you are looking for, start a new one.

I'm locking this fossil.