PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

H3 I5 oil in coil packs, Help please!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
Was there oil inside of the plastic resonator box of the air intake or its coupler closest to the TB?
No sir! everything was clean and relatively dry until I pulled that first pack.

I am assuming that hose is fresh air intake and the one on the intake manifold has constant vacuum. If this hose was collapsed if would suck oil if it had no access to air!

I have cleaned up all the oil and have a replacement hose. It dropped off cold as heck here and raining again. I think Im gonna re-torq that intake put the new hose on and run it a week or so before I pull the intake and valve cover off. The way I figure its cant hurt anything right?

Will it hurt to force a little air through the valve cover on the intake side?

Thanks again to all of you

Old 02-08-2018, 06:38 PM
Default I have a clue

OK it stopped raining long enough for me to look at the Hummer again.
One thing I found that is not right. The Orifice someone spoke of earlier (happythree) It is completely stopped up. I put a hose on it and you can blow or suck any air through it. In fact looking down into it, it doesn't even look like it has a hole to speak of. The other side blows freely.
Why the hell would they not have a regular replaceable PCV Valve?

I dont know if this is the source of the oil but it cant be right. It will build pressure if it cant vent.

Attached Thumbnails H3 I5 oil in coil packs, Help please!-orifice.jpg  
Old 02-08-2018, 07:42 PM

! i dont know what it looks like, only read about it last year when the topic came up. now i think ill check mine!,,,when its warmer. i think its 1/10 inch? might use a wire to clean it

Old 02-08-2018, 07:56 PM
Default Orifice

I slipped a piece of heater hose on it and blew as hard as I could and put suction on it and got nothing. I even ran a little pressure from the air compressor to see if it would do anything. Just blew the hose off as if it were completely blocked.
Its an odd system that's for sure.
She is due for an oil change anyway. I might soak it in something and see if it will loosen up.

I am still trying to wrap my head around this causing the coil cells to have oil in them. I can believe all 5 O-rings failed at the same time without some cause.

Both of those hoses go into the same valve cover if one were stopped up, wouldn't it just blow more out of the other one. The passenger side hose is free as can be! Like blowing into a water hose.

Oh well, I will let you guys know what else I find.
If anyone has a thought please speak up!
Thanks,

Old 02-08-2018, 09:14 PM

The passenger side hose is free as can be! Like blowing into a water hose.
where is that air going if the other is plugged?

pressure should also be released thru that free hose.

im looking at fig.55/56 of factory svc manual.

Last edited by happythree; 02-08-2018 at 09:20 PM.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:03 AM

Sorry Bud, I don't have a manual. But thanks so much for looking!
The way I see it is that the valve cover area if you will is open with vents from the lower part of the engine pushing air toward the top of the engine. One side is vented pre-intake the other into the intake. The pre-intake is sucking air out through the FREE hose or if broken just venting into the engine compartment.
The other side with that tiny hole wouldn't build that much pressure being stopped up, or so I would think.
Im gonna try and unstop it, I have the hoses replaced re-torque everything and see if it still happens.
That's about all I know to do.
Thanks guys

Old 02-19-2018, 06:30 PM
Default Oil in coil packs

Had to leave a little brake cleaner soaking in the orifice to unclog it. It was stopped up solid! Due for oil change anyway! It is literally less than 3/32"
Re-Torqued the valve cover, replaced with new plugs and hoses, cleaned oil off coil packs. Put her all back together and she runs like a champ again.
Will wait a couple weeks and see if they are still leaking.
Thanks again,

Old 02-20-2018, 08:47 AM

I hope you solved it.

Old 06-17-2018, 02:25 AM

Did cleaning the orifice solve your problem? Have you checked the coil pack since?