PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about vacuum hose

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 09:01 PM
jcs
Default Question about vacuum hose

I have a slight air leak somewhere near where a line connects that comes from under the shroud over the intake to the back top of the motor (what I would call the valve cover, looks about 7/16 id). Should this line always be pulling a vacuum? It seems to be pulling some oil and is pulling more of a vacuum than the old small blocks I am used to. I recently had the head redone so I am concerned that something is not sealing correctly.

Thanks

Old 03-22-2012, 09:28 PM

Do you happen to have a picture? I can't think of what your talking about.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:36 PM

Yes it will always have some vacuum since it feeds to the intake system. I assume you mean oil on the inside. I have a CAI but my hose is coated as well. Make sure that hose is lined up with the recess that is there in the air box.

Mine has looked hideous at times and is directly related to how filthy the TB gets.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:55 PM
Banned

as i recall its part of a pcv system without a good old pcv valve. surprised the i5 doesnt drink more oil. i loose very little

Old 03-23-2012, 03:47 AM
jcs

thanks for the info.

i haven't work on engines since the 80's and things have changed quite a bit. unfortunately the shop i took it to for the repair that i USED to trust did quite the hack job on this one, i'll find out what the deal was today.

Attached Thumbnails Question about vacuum hose-hummerhack.jpg  
Old 03-23-2012, 04:46 AM
jcs

the other "modification" they made. i didn't see them till i got home so i'll be going back today to see what they say.

I think there are supposed to be at least one support for the ac line, is this correct?

thanks

Attached Thumbnails Question about vacuum hose-hummerhack2.jpg  
Old 03-23-2012, 05:16 AM

Jeebus man he did hack it up. I'll try to post a pic for your reference later.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator

Somebody really jerked with the AC line? This is the factory position.
Name:  UHclean.jpg
Views: 5098
Size:  122.6 KB

The 1/2" line off the back/bottom of the intake from the passenger side valve cover is the severe duty PCV. It does pull some vacuum all the time, but was designed to really kick in around 70%+ throttle to WOT. The smaller line from the driver side valve cover to the back of the (big black) intake manifold is the primary PCV, it pulls vacuum all the time. So when you stick your foot in it, any blow-by gases and oil particles go through the severe duty PCV into the intake resonator and back into the motor through the TB. If you have a heavy foot, you will see some oil residue in the intake.

You can see them both in this pic with the stock intake gone. Extreme PCV closer and into the intake pipe breather tube, primary PCV farther away and into the intake manifold. If your severe duty line is cracked or dried out, just buy a piece of 1/2" emissions line from the local auto parts and cut it to length to replace the tired one.
Name:  AirDocL.jpg
Views: 6340
Size:  139.1 KB

Old 03-23-2012, 09:03 AM
jcs

THANKS for all the help and pics, the excuse they used is that the hose was leaking under the cover (probably, it's an '06) and there is no way to get to it without replacing the assembly or cutting as they did. Since most of their customers don't want to pay for the assembly they usually just cut it for access. They are getting me another one.

Is there a way to separate this cover? It appears glued...

Thanks again for the pics and feedback

Old 03-23-2012, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jcs
thanks for the info.

i haven't work on engines since the 80's and things have changed quite a bit. unfortunately the shop i took it to for the repair that i USED to trust did quite the hack job on this one, i'll find out what the deal was today.
It looks to me your problem is the primary PCV line, it is a bit more difficult to replace because it has different sized ends, that may be an order item unless you know how to bond custom emission hose? I believe those connectors are for 8MM OD hose, the connector itself is a 16MM OD on the intake manifold end, and 13MM on the valve cover end. If just the connector end is bad, you can buy that separate for about $4.00?

So I can see why they gave you the excuse.