PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

turning issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 10:06 AM
Default turning issue

tried to find a solution using the search feature, couldn't come to a good conclusion to my problem.
Sometimes when I start my 2006 H3 it seems to be in lock mode with the transfer case, when I turn sharply it will bind up to the point where I cannot turn. I put it in neutral and press the high lock and low lock, then high and then the all time button (far left). I have never had to use the 4 wheel yet so am kind of unsure why it would be doing this. Generally it goes away once I start to run the vehicle down the road, then it works like normal. I know there is an actuator that moves the fork in the transfer case and I can hear it engage the lockers. Still under warranty from the dealership where I got it. Anyone else have this problem?

Old 01-24-2012, 10:13 AM

Possibly related to the plastic shift fork problems in 2006 and early 2007 trucks.
Do a search of "plastic shift fork" and read some of the symptoms in those posts.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:42 AM

I have read half of those and they seem to fit what is going on. Does the transfer case go into neutral when the hummer is off by chance? I have never put it in 4wheel except to cycle the actuator. The only time it does this is when I am driving, or first thing when I start the H3.

Old 01-25-2012, 04:15 PM

Front passenger wheel hub was bad or something causing the hub to lock. Only after 40ft would it unlock again. Dealership is going to replace the hub for me. transfer case fork was fine, was actually upgraded already to the steel one.

Old 01-25-2012, 05:02 PM
Question binding when turning issue

regarding your 2006 H3: assume all your work was out of warrenty, curious how many miles are on it and what did the dealer charge for hub replacement. I've had this issue for years without anyone being able to diagnose it, 4W high seems to work fine, on another thread they ended up replacing the steering rack and that seemed to fix the binding when turning issue. thx

Old 01-26-2012, 11:16 AM

I bought this H3 as a certified pre-owned so everything that I find within 60 days is covered under their warranty, so they are eating the bill on this one. I also have them going the recall on the windshield surround and fixing some transmission lines that were leaking around where the oil filter is. When I talked to the service manager last the cost was up to $1683.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:28 PM

Here is the plastic fork that is causing so much problems. Mine was melted and stuck in a lock position when it was warm. Thought you all might like to see this PITA. So after the dealership replaces the front wheel hub assemblies and upgraded the stock fork and gear inside to the new aluminum one, everything seems good to go.

Old 02-11-2012, 01:11 AM
Default Icurle: thx for posting your findings

Your picture and report is the essence of this forum, the benefit of searching here for answers to help Hummer owners.
While well known, the plastic lift fork problem has not been subject to a recall. Additionally from what I know there is a defect in the original transfer case for all '06 and early '07 H3, the TC fill hole being too low requiring adding an additional 250ml of the Dextron III fluid replacement #88861800 (per bulletin #PIP3836B) to be added via the speed sensor hole on top of the TC to reach the required 1.6qts. Curious if that was mentioned to you??? From my experience you can't count on the mechanic to know that (GM dealer or not). Also just so ya know, Dextron VI will damage your '06 H3 TC. It's for the auto tranmission only.
For me this informations is another clue to the binding issues I occasionally have when parking or turning out of a parking space. Unlike what you reported it doesn't just happen after starting it can happen anytime. You may have found that also with time. The binding seems as if the emergency parking brake is on at times. I'll post my finding when I eventually have my '06 H3 TC looked at.
Hats off to you for dealing with the issue from the get go.

Old 03-29-2012, 05:12 PM
Question binding while turning issue

Lee~just checking back with you, now that you've had some time since the TC repair have you had any issues or did replacing the plastic fork clear up the binding while turning problem many of us with the 2006 H3s are experiencing? I have an appointment to have mine inspected next week with the GMC Hummer dealer. The service manager talked with a Hummer tech and he verified the "probable cause" as being the fork but it will cost me $795 to confirm that. I'll post what they find. Thx.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:51 PM

I have mine in the shop now. They determined it was the fork causing my on and off problems with it binding. It's a $670 repair. The dealership that sold it to me in Jan. is paying for it. They told me it was a new transfer case, but we found out later that wasn't the case.