Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

squeal and/or pop from front when turning

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 10:19 PM
Default squeal and/or pop from front when turning

a common issue with the H2 is the undercarriage protection making sounds like the suspension is breaking down. if you have squeals, grinding noises or pop sounds from the front end when turningin the first thing to try is to remove the skid plate and transfer case cage from under the vehicle and see if the sound goes away. another common issue is the cage under the transfer case touching the exhaust pipe and creating a vibration that can be felt through the floor board when cruising ~1500 -2000 rpm. another symptom that can be easily verified by removing the undercarriage protection and trying to duplicate the problem.

Old 04-21-2009, 03:01 PM
Default speed hestitaion

does anyone have a fix or know what the problem is when it hesitates or acts like its grapsing for air while driving at 55-60 MPH????? Then it'll shirt down and stop or I will speed up and it stops. But it only does it in between the speeds of 55-60 MPH....

Thanks.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:44 AM

I have a 2005 H2 and I get a popping sound when I turn but it sounds like it is coming from the rear. Any thoughts?

Thank you

Old 04-29-2009, 03:26 PM

the front end popping ur experiencing/hearing is most probably the bearings. h2's are notorious for this problem.

Old 06-08-2009, 04:57 PM
Default replacing front wheel bearings

I seem to have a front wheel bearing problem too. If any of you have replaced your own bearings...how tough a job is it? Any special tools required (like a torque wrench, or other items)? About how long does it take a DIY to do?

Thanks

Old 06-08-2009, 09:06 PM

I think I did a "how to" thread on this a couple years ago. Its actually an easy job if you have the right tools. Make sure all your sockets are 1/2" drives. And you have a massive breaker bar.

1. Remove tire
2. Remove Brake Caliper and Rotor and unclip wiring for abs/tc to the hub
3 Remove tie rod end from knuckle to allow for working room
4. Remove 3 or 4 bolts from the back of the knuckle and the hub and it should fall right out.

YOU NEED A BIG A$$ BREAKER BAR. to get most of these bolts loose.

Old 06-19-2009, 04:33 PM

hubs are a common problem but the most likely cause or popping sound is the front crossmember bolts loose. the best fix is to loosen them one at a time and then retighten themwith a powerful air gun when you think they are tight tighten them more. sounds cheezy but it works

Old 07-17-2009, 03:59 PM

My '05 H2 just started doing the same thing with the popping sound from the front end. I was having trouble consistently duplicating the sound so I took it to the shop. In my case my CV axle is going bad. Or it could be you wheel bearing like the others suggested. Let's hope it's the latter of the 2 for you. At least you can change out a wheel bearing fairly easily. With the CV axle it's around a $500 fix parts and labor.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:07 PM
Default hestitation fixed by changing and cleaning filters, hoses, etc....

Originally Posted by hollandpj
does anyone have a fix or know what the problem is when it hesitates or acts like its grapsing for air while driving at 55-60 MPH????? Then it'll shirt down and stop or I will speed up and it stops. But it only does it in between the speeds of 55-60 MPH....

Thanks.

hestitation fixed by changing and cleaning filters, hoses, etc

Old 07-20-2009, 12:12 PM
Default H2 steering column problems

has anyone had issues with the steering column vibrating due to fluid leakage ??

I have had the steering column re-filled three times and after about 15,000-20,000 miles you need to do it again and again.....my H2 has 97,000 and getting ready to do it again. HUMMER will not warranty it and it's a consistent problem. What a bad design !!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: squeal and/or pop from front when turning