Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

To FOB or Not To FOB

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 08:20 PM
Default To FOB or Not To FOB

Finally got the 2 fobs (made in China) I ordered from bang g**d over 2 weeks ago.

Closest Chevy dealer in Miami says they will program the fobs for $135.00; I thought you guys said it costs $45. LOL. I have been using the key to enter the vehicle, and using the L-U switch to lock the doors when exiting; no problemo so far. Based on other posts and problems owners had with the remote entry fobs, I am wondering if I should get those fobs programmed. Will activating the RKE cause more problems down the road?

I am planning on changing the OEM battery terminals soon, so I would hate to accidentally activate the theft deterrent system when I reconnect the battery and have no programmed fob to turn it off.

Old 03-08-2019, 11:34 PM

I would see if a independent gm mechanic could program instead of a dealer.

Old 03-09-2019, 10:02 PM

Don't go to a dealership for anything ever. Take it to a local lock company who can program it for a reasonable price

Old 03-10-2019, 07:04 PM
DJB

Anyone with a Tech 2 scan tool can do it. Just did one for myself.

Old 03-13-2019, 01:42 PM

Careful with some Chinese FOBs. Some are too heavy, and will pull your ignition to “OFF” while driving, similar to the big airbag recall (our rigs should have been part of the recall).

Old 03-14-2019, 02:36 PM

The issue I had is that the buttons on my original fobs were worn out and sometimes didn't work or required too much pressure. So I bought two key fobs from ebay (cost me like $10) and they look identical to my original GM ones even though they're probably fake. I went to the dealer, they wanted $75 each to program...whatever! All I did was remove the small internal circuit board from my original fob (there's a small tab at the bottom of the fob you need to pry to open), cleaned the contacts on the board where the rubber buttons touch since they were pretty dirty and placed them inside the new fob. It works perfectly and now I essentially have two "just like new" key fobs with no programming required.

Last edited by CarlosC; 03-14-2019 at 02:39 PM.
Old 08-16-2019, 09:02 PM

Forgot to update you listers on this:
Got the FOBs programmed a few months ago at the dealer because it was convenient. They worked fine when standing close to the driver's door, but no other area consistently. Well, I was caught in a thunderstorm last week and went into a hardware store for shelter. While there, I bought new batteries for the FOBs. Now they work perfectly from several feet away from the vehicle, and from all angles.

Sometimes the solution is simple!!!

Old 08-19-2019, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Coolvibes
Based on other posts and problems owners had with the remote entry fobs, I am wondering if I should get those fobs programmed. Will activating the RKE cause more problems down the road?
Anytime that I had a problem with the fob, I change the battery and clean the circuit board and button contacts.
Weird thing this morning, I went to unlock the truck, nothing. I replaced the battery, still inoperative. I checked voltage on the battery: 3.1vlts. I cleaned the board and button contacts.Still not working.
I decided to wait until later to diagnose, since I had work to do on a house I own across the street, while the tenants were at work. I parked in that driveway behind the house, and checked my fob. It's working.
I walked back to the house I live in, and looked out the front window, while testing the fob, the lights were flashing on the truck when I hit the unlock button. (I was 150ft away from where the truck was parked).
Something could have jammed the signal this morning?
Recently, there was a news story about this happening to a neighborhood close to me: