Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Fng...

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2020, 06:18 PM
Smile Fng...

Howdy all. I'm new here and am currently building an Urban Assault Vehicle. I have an '06 H3 with the 5 cylinder squirrel cage under the hood. It looks and runs great with 220K miles on it. As soon as the current engine gives up the ghost - I want to build and put a V8 under the hood. Can this be done or am I asking for trouble???

Old 08-12-2020, 06:18 PM
Smile Fng...

Howdy all. I'm new here and am currently building an Urban Assault Vehicle. I have an '06 H3 with the 5 cylinder squirrel cage under the hood. It looks and runs great with 220K miles on it. As soon as the current engine gives up the ghost - I want to build and put a V8 under the hood. Can this be done or am I asking for trouble???

Old 08-12-2020, 09:11 PM

you are asking for trouble. get an alpha.

Old 08-12-2020, 09:11 PM

read other post

Old 08-12-2020, 10:04 PM
Default No V8

Hey Bronx, thanks for the reply - what’s an Alpha???

Old 08-13-2020, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by TheBeast
- what’s an Alpha???
Hummer Alpha (2 different vehicles)

The Hummer H3 Alpha is an SUV from 2008-2010. H3 Alpha ... is a GM 5.3-liter small block V8 with 295 horsepower and 317 pound-feet of torque, with a towing capacity that jumps to 6,000 pounds - a 33% improvement.

The Hummer H1 Alpha is equipped with a Duramax 6.6-liter turbo diesel V8 engine. 300 horsepower and 520 lb-ft of torque to all four wheels via an ALLISON five-speed automatic transmission. Geared hubs, limited-slip front and rear differentials and electronic differential locks combine to give the H1 Alpha a high degree of slow-speed, rock-crawling ability. Properly equipped, the open-top version can tow up to 9,300 pounds.

Last edited by TAINTER; 08-13-2020 at 07:46 AM.
Old 08-13-2020, 08:09 AM

Welcome to the forum.

The Alpha is a slighly diferent layout for the V8 engine.

Agree stick to the I 5 but upgrade from 3.5 to 3.7 when ready.

Old 08-13-2020, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome.

Have fun with the 06, make some personal mods, keeping in mind that many mods (any that are reversible) can be removed from the 06 and swapped to an Alpha you may buy later.

I had an 07 Adventure which had all the performance and off road mods, most of which were removed and installed on my 09 Alpha Off Road when I tracked it down. Example, MTZs on 07 wheels, BA Winch Bumper, Rocky Road Super Sliders, BA Undercarriage Protection, PCMofNC Efan Conversion, Husky Liners, etc....

Good luck and enjoy!

Old 08-24-2020, 07:50 PM
Default H3 to Military Humvee

Hello all! The Beast is back w/some more silly questions. For starters - I have a hum going on in my front (somewhere) I just replaced the wheel bearing hubs thinking that'd fix the problem... It did not. I'm thinking it could be tire hum as the inside toes are cupping, but the alignment still tracks straight. I have no idiot lights on, nothing leaks (that I can see). My power steering pump was bone dry as I discovered when it would almost die while pulling into my driveway. Topped off the fluid, but I can hear what I believe is a related whine/hum/vibrato sound on occasion. I've got a pretty good idea I should replace it. The idler pulley is about worn so it needs to be replaced. Next on the agenda - I'll have the necessary funds to buy on auction a REAL military issue Humvee. What kind of hoops do I need to jump through to do that and am I asking for trouble? I'm a pretty good monkey with a wrench and have a friend that's a walking/talking encyclopedia on all things auto and a damn fine mechanic, so I'm not too worried about a fixer-upper. Lastly - My Beast currently has a 3.5L squirrel cage in it, I wanted to drop a V-8 in it and was advised not to. Someone else recommended a 3.7L squirrel cage. What will I get from that? I'll buy a long block and do it myself. Are there any mods I can make/do to it to get a little more pep out of it? I have the benefit a commercial MIG welder in my garage so I'm building some way cool urban assault bumpers! Pics coming soon!!! Wheels, tires, a 2" lift and leveling system coming soon. I'm all ears open. Y'all may call me at (832) 312-4676 My name is Henri. Look forward to hearing from y'all!

Old 08-25-2020, 05:32 AM

The hum noise may have been from your lack of fluid. As others note you will be looking for trouble attempting to shoe horn a V8 where the I5 was designed to go. /

Best to curb your enthusiasm a bit get know what you have some. Consider some mods.