Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

A few questions for DIY 08 Hummer fixes

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2023, 11:47 PM
Default A few questions for DIY 08 Hummer fixes

Hello, I have a few questions.
#1 My fan climate control fan doesn't blow on position 4, but works on 1,2,3.What's is the part called or part number , so I can replace whatever switch worn out?
#2 I'm installing a back up camera, ran to an Alpine Halo 11 ILX-F411. when i remove the tail light cover, i see a green and black wire. I tried to tap the green wire to power the camera, but when I shift into reverse, i still dont have a picture, just a black scrren with parking lines. I know im connected properly at the head unit. ALPINE harness to PAC RP5-GM11, to truck radio harness. Reverse wire is connected. Should I tap in at a different location?.
#3 Where can I locate a replacement latch for the center console?
#4 Is there a good solution to adding and wiring some kind of map light in the front cabin?
#5 is it safe to remove and replace the onstar rearview mirror? Safe in terms of if I eliminated the mirror will it screw anything else up or trigger the immobilizer. I've already removed the entire Typhoon sound system.
These questions posed represent the last items to be done to finish my Hummer. Ive installed an entire JL Audio sound system, a streaming rear view mirror ( it attaches to the existing mirror, but not well), replaced my head and fog lights with LEDs, and changed the spark plugs/ coil packs. If you know the answers , great thank you for your help. I've had my Hummer for 2 months now. I couldn't afford one back in 2008, so yes, I'm sure some...of these questions have been answered. Despite doing several searches, I could not locate the answers I need. So please, if you a blow hard hummer God who's only purpose here is to inform of me of how big your _____ is..DONT!! Most people don't have the means to buy the latest model of anything, but when they are able to get a Hummer, they come to forums like these for help and advice..not a tongue lashing or to be put in there place by a power hungry , entitled thug. I'm 49 years old , a successful

business owner and I don't need your ****. I've seen/read way too much BS on this site.

Old 11-19-2023, 10:06 AM

Hello Brutal669x and welcome to the forum group!
I offer two thoughts:
#3...the latch for the center console is probably the same latch used on the Colorado and Canyon trucks which were also built at the same assembly plant in Shreveport, LA. I would look at local salvage yards. You will probably have to buy the entire assembly.
#4...Interior map light. I would prefer finding a WIRELESS map light vs. a wired light. You can choose from hundreds of simple WIRELESS lights that have battery power. I have used these cheap, simple LED lights in my sailboat. You could simply momentarily stick the LED to the bottom of the glass sunroof and remove it when you are finished with the light.
Hope these thoughts help you all e two pesky issues.

Old 11-19-2023, 10:34 AM

I loved this Information on Ebay:

2008 HUMMER H3 FRONT CONSOLE LID ARMREST BLACK LEATHER

• Patterson Auto Wrecking Inc (22692)
  • 99.8% positive feedback

Approx.
C $157.90
+ C $34.31 shipping
US $115.00

Yes, you have to buy the entire assembly to replace this little LATCH. Here is a marked up photo of the bottom of the assembly showing the LATCH...

I sincerely hope this helps you.

Old 11-19-2023, 10:55 AM

#1: It's not a switch it's the harness behind the glove box. The high speed terminal melts and causes high speed to not work. There was a recall on this so check with a dealership that services Hummers and they can possibly still get one and you may be covered.
#2 Use a multi meter and probe the wires for one that goes hot when put into reverse.
#3 Here is a thread I started 13 years ago for adding interior lighting. https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...ighting-19234/

Old 11-20-2023, 10:47 AM

Thank you for the information

Old 11-20-2023, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Brutal669x
So please, if you a blow hard hummer God who's only purpose here is to inform of me of how big your _____ is..DONT!! Most people don't have the means to buy the latest model of anything, but when they are able to get a Hummer, they come to forums like these for help and advice..not a tongue lashing or to be put in there place by a power hungry , entitled thug. I'm 49 years old , a successful

business owner and I don't need your ****. I've seen/read way too much BS on this site.
I WAS, going to jump in feet first and answer all of your questions with examples AND links. BUT, after seeing the atrocious wiring/amp/sub install, reading your diatribe, insulting the size of my ***** and how successful you say you are I decided not to assist you.

Old 11-20-2023, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by TAINTER
BUT, after seeing the atrocious wiring/amp/sub install, .

X2^

Old 11-28-2023, 02:17 PM

#4 Go to ebay and buy another light just like the rest of them in the H3, and install it up front; that's what I did. : Here's one

Old 12-08-2023, 01:07 AM

Rear camera, often you have to do some thing in the radio's settings to ensure you have the right camera set.

ALso, ya, use a multi-meter and see if that green wire in the driver's kick panel energizes when you put in rev.

Look at the radio's wiring diagram on the wire trigger.