Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Bleeding front brakes - Anything to worry about?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2023, 03:02 PM
Default Bleeding front brakes - Anything to worry about?

I blew a front brake line this week (luckily I had just left the house, and although I did end up running a stop sign, I missed the oncoming car!). Anyway, I've gotten new front brake lines and will be installing this weekend, but had a question. Since I won't be touching the rears, I should be able to just bleed the fronts only, right? Anything unique or special I should know? I've bled plenty of brakes in my time, but do seem to remember reading here that the rears take a slightly different procedure. Any hints would be appreciated; thanks in advance.

Old 08-18-2023, 06:17 PM

That would depend on how much fluid you lost?

Old 08-20-2023, 03:15 PM

Well, it certainly wasn't anywhere near as involved as some of you have made it out to be, at least for my situation. Limped it home (had to make 3 add'l stop signs to get home, plus the driveway (E-Brake to stop before hitting the garage door!). Actually pumped the brakes a few times in the driveway trying to determine what happened, looking for leaks at the firewall (did not yet know that I blew a line), and by that time the entire inside of the right front wheelwell, suspension, shock, hub, inside of the wheel/tire, etc were covered with brake fluid as well as a 2' diameter puddle on the ground. Damn!

Got the new lines delivered, and started looking at the setup. So here's what I found: Each corner on the H3 has a dedicated brake line that runs all the way to the master cylinder; at no point do any of them share fittings/lines, etc. Which means that I was able to replace the front passenger line (the one that blew) and bleed it normally by itself. Took it for a drive...perfect; no air in any of the other lines! Went ahead and followed up by doing the driver side the same way; again no problem bleeding it by itself. No need for 4-wheel bleed, ABS bleed sequence, scanner, etc. I think that 2 things allowed this: One, the dedicated lines from each corner all the way back to the MC, and two, the brake reservoir never got quite low enough to introduce air into any of the other lines.

Whoohoo! Back on the road!

Old 08-20-2023, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by 650Hawk
Well, it certainly wasn't anywhere near as involved as some of you have made it out to be, at least for my situation. Limped it home (had to make 3 add'l stop signs to get home, plus the driveway (E-Brake to stop before hitting the garage door!). Actually pumped the brakes a few times in the driveway trying to determine what happened, looking for leaks at the firewall (did not yet know that I blew a line), and by that time the entire inside of the right front wheelwell, suspension, shock, hub, inside of the wheel/tire, etc were covered with brake fluid as well as a 2' diameter puddle on the ground. Damn!

Got the new lines delivered, and started looking at the setup. So here's what I found: Each corner on the H3 has a dedicated brake line that runs all the way to the master cylinder; at no point do any of them share fittings/lines, etc. Which means that I was able to replace the front passenger line (the one that blew) and bleed it normally by itself. Took it for a drive...perfect; no air in any of the other lines! Went ahead and followed up by doing the driver side the same way; again no problem bleeding it by itself. No need for 4-wheel bleed, ABS bleed sequence, scanner, etc. I think that 2 things allowed this: One, the dedicated lines from each corner all the way back to the MC, and two, the brake reservoir never got quite low enough to introduce air into any of the other lines.

Whoohoo! Back on the road!
Stop the drama! You caught it before the pump went dry. Nice work!

Old 08-21-2023, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

Happy endings are my favorite!

Old 08-21-2023, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by hummerz
Stop the drama! You caught it before the pump went dry. Nice work!
What drama? I just know that there have been multiple posts here and elsewhere about needing a scanner to bleed the brakes on the H3. That obviously isn't needed in most cases; luckily, my reservoir never got low enough to introduce air into the rest of the system. I also was surprised to find that each corner has it's own dedicated line. Nice setup that means the normal sequence (RR, LR, RF, LF) of bleeding is not necessary.