Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

alpha airbox intake snorkle

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2024, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
Agreed. My H3 Alpha is a truck, not a boat. Some people just gotta. Now, if I knew of a place where you had to cross a three foot deep Sippi Hole as the only way in to a party with the naked hot tubbing Swedish Bikini Team, I might consider it.

99% they are for "looks" and IMHO they look ......... (being nice here) .... like I would never blow $$ on that over performance mods, tires, sound system upgrade, synthetic winch line and about 75-100 other things.

Different things for different peeps.
You're missing the concept! The snorkel brings in the coolest air(a.k.a.> cold air intake). As you know, sealed air box under the hood that reaches 190°-230°+, however, the oem air box inlet is in the wheel well with the brakes that reach 200° normally yet can hit 1000°+. With a snorkel you will ONLY get ambient air temperature=>BEST POSSIBLE C.A.I.

Old 04-29-2024, 04:12 PM

I wonder just how much difference in air temp from 3' above the road vs 6' above the road, and considering the wheel well liner, doubt seriously that the brakes are adding much heat inside the fender of a moving H3. I have also heard that the high intake of the snorkel reduces the amount of dirt/dust that is sucked in. Again, measurable, or off-roader wive's tale? Of course, the snorkel would also add restrictions to the air flow, so...Hmmmmm...

Old 04-29-2024, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by 650Hawk
I wonder just how much difference in air temp from 3' above the road vs 6' above the road, and considering the wheel well liner, doubt seriously that the brakes are adding much heat inside the fender of a moving H3. I have also heard that the high intake of the snorkel reduces the amount of dirt/dust that is sucked in. Again, measurable, or off-roader wive's tale? Of course, the snorkel would also add restrictions to the air flow, so...Hmmmmm...
Restriction? The air intake scoop is mounted out in the open not inside the fender. A ram-air intake is any intake design which uses the dynamic air pressure created by vehicle motion, or ram pressure, to increase the static air pressure inside of the intake manifold on an internal combustion engine, thus allowing a greater mass air flow through the engine and hence increasing engine power. You could also mount a ram air scoop above the fender as shown on this cheep:

Old 04-30-2024, 08:58 AM

True that it is a ram effect while moving, but you've also introduced more than 270 degrees of angles and 3-4' worth of additional length to the intake tract, so....

Old 04-30-2024, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator

Every time a bend is introduced to an air path pipe restriction occurs. A single 90 degree long radius bend in the Alpha 3.5" intake is the equivalent of 6 feet of pipe, a tight radius 90 bend is the equivalent of 9 feet of pipe = sucking through a straw by analogy. Tighter the 90 degree bend, the lower the efficiency. The longer the pipe, the less efficient the intake.

Snorkel= 90 tight radius at the top, appx 90 degree long radius at the fender, tight double compound bends going through the fender and inner fender all before it enters the intake air filter box. Let's say the Snorkel is a total of 5 feet long, add in the bends, that is: 5 + 9 + 6 + 9 + 9 = 38 feet. That is a long straw to suck in air before it even gets to the filter. I can say from an intake perspective, a snorkel sucks. Pun intended.

The OEM intake draws its intake charge from inside the inner fender which is NOT heated by brakes 18" below in the open fender. In fact it gets its air from around and through the turn signal/far right grill (that is not sealed off).

Ram or no ram, shorter is better.

Old 04-30-2024, 07:07 PM

True that it is a ram effect while moving, but you've also introduced more than 270 degrees of angles and 3-4' worth of additional length to the intake tract, so....
Even when not moving, the intake is like a shop vac that sucks air in, with the larger tubing from the snorkel, there will be plenty air for intake to vacuum. Ram forced air or turbo charged both with plenty air to enter the intake, however the key is the coolest air for the best possible C.A.I.

Old 04-30-2024, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
The OEM intake draws its intake charge from inside the inner fender which is NOT heated by brakes 18" below in the open fender. In fact it gets its air from around and through the turn signal/far right grill (that is not sealed off).
NOT heated inside the fender? Engine bay, brakes, front diff, bearings,tires, hot pavement,etc, all increase the temp inside the fender to the air intake:

Old 05-01-2024, 12:45 PM

Take notice, Doc, it's written in bold, so it is beyond contestation.

Old 05-01-2024, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

Picture of the heat at the inlet with inner fender removed 2007 H3.

Old 05-01-2024, 04:47 PM

Take notice, Doc, it's written in bold, so it is beyond contestation.
Hawkeye, I'm just posting information to help others. I drive my 3, 2-3 times a week to the beverage store that is 1/2 mile away! However, with spring and the home improvement sales, I recently made 4 trips to lowe's(6miles away) for the 5/$10 2cu.ft. wet bagged mulch, and brought home 104 bags total + 1 trip to homedepot(4miles away) to get 540lbs of dry bagged concrete and some pressure treated 2x4's. I lost some mpg's hauling 2+ tons(4,000lbs+) on those trips but I saved a bunch of $$$$.

Quick Reply: alpha airbox intake snorkle