Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

4HI can't reverse or drive

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2019, 11:56 AM
Default Yes!

Originally Posted by TAINTER
When in 4HI unlocked the transfer case will send ALL of the power to the most "free wheeling" differential (front or rear).
If the front prop shaft, differential or cv is removed/broken your H3 will not move and make a horrendous noise when put in PARK.
You will have to turn it off, turn the key to the "ON" (NOT RUN) position and select 4HI LOCK in order for it to move.

CB and I made spacial stub shafts out of broken CV shafts and pool plugs for the front differential (no fluid loss) to facilitate driving home with a broken front differential.
These parts plus removal of the prop shaft have been used several times as was 4HI LOCK to get home.
That's exactly when I was experiencing yesterday when trouble shooting on the road. I ordered two seals and axles yesterday from Rock Auto along with a metal shift fork(scared they might run out, hopefully just paranoia). If I have to drop the transfer case, should I do a rebuild on it? I'm reading that there are actually two plastic shift forks?? Please correct me if I'm wrong. Also could you link the thread where you made your plug? Sounds very useful.

Old 12-03-2019, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator

There are two T Case forks, you only need to worry about one, the lock fork. In fact, I would not fix what ain't broke. My 07 had a plastic fork and worked perfectly the 12 years I had it. My 09 Alpha works fine and I got no idea what fork is inside the T Case.

Hopefully you bought 2 ACDelco half shafts instead of the cheaper knock offs? Discussion here on that topic.

Old 12-03-2019, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
There are two T Case forks, you only need to worry about one, the lock fork. In fact, I would not fix what ain't broke. My 07 had a plastic fork and worked perfectly the 12 years I had it. My 09 Alpha works fine and I got no idea what fork is inside the T Case.
My 07 also still has oe forks.
Failure is due to user error!

Old 12-13-2019, 11:15 AM

Hey guys. Just wanted to bring in a closer for this thread. It has been some time after replacing my half shafts and seals, i can say my problem is no longer present. To conclude on what Tainter has said, in 4HI ALL THE POWER was going to the broken half shaft (acting as the wheel with the least amount of resistance). Thank you everyone for your feedback. After doing this maintenance on it I've gotten bit by the bug and want to start adding and modifying again. So out comes the wallet and the welder.
You'll be seeing more of me on here and Hummer4x4Offroad.

Old 12-17-2019, 08:11 AM

glad to see you fixed it.