Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

4HI can't reverse or drive

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2019, 12:36 PM
Default 4HI can't reverse or drive

Hey guys I have a 2008 H3, 3.7l, 130k miles, luxury. I currently cant move forward or back when in 4HI. I was stuck in a snow bank yesterday and used 4HIlock then 4LOlock to get out. Once out, I went back into neutral and shifted into 4HIlock until I got to a plowed road. Upon reaching said road i shifted the Tcase to 4HI (while cruising under 30mph) and realized i had no power going to my wheels, just engine rev. I stopped and went back to 4HIlock and regained power to wheels, no noises. Once i made it home in 4HIlock (roads snowy and iced over the whole way, also didn't go above 35mph), I cycled through the Tcase and had zero issues with 4hilock and 4lolock(very firm shift). 4HI resulted in audible clicking like an elctric motor hitting a wall. I was able to move into 4HI once or twice (may have just been ghosting 4HIlock) before slipping into what felt like the Tcase's neutral. I'm tempted to manually shift the Tcase into neutral (parking brake engaged, transmission in N, put Tcase in 4HI, hold both 4HI & 4HIlock) then more it back out into 4HI. Will this sort of reset it internally if there was some misalignment or just cause more damage if something internally has sheared? I've read the threads with plastic forks on 07 and below, but they didn't have a neutral 4HI. Also again there is clicking in 4Hi but no engagement. If i missed the thread where this was explained please link me it, otherwise i was not able to find my problem. :\

Old 12-02-2019, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to HF. Easy stuff, read the owner's manual.

You may have the plastic shift fork in your T Case instead of the second design metal shift fork. There are 2 in the H3, one for Hi/Lo, the other for lock. The Lock fork is where the plastic causes a problem for many.

I have never shifted either of my H3s in neutral, that is not going to solve your problem. When was the last time the fluid in the T Case was changed? Have you checked the level? Is it clean red, or dark brown burnt coffee?

Old 12-02-2019, 03:01 PM
Default Snow cleared

Now that the snow has cleared it is apparent I broke my passenger front CV axle. Im going to replace them both. In the mean time, should I remove the front drive shaft and broken axle to avoid further damage? Is there an aftermarket brand recommended? Thank you.

Old 12-02-2019, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
You may have the plastic shift fork in your T Case instead of the second design metal shift fork.
Doc, I had inquired some time ago if anyone could confirm that THIS is, in fact, the case that the shift fork was revised from plastic to aluminum in '08 and never heard from anyone. A member on another forum who designs, fabs and sells Hummer components said he had an '08 Alpha from new, and when he disassembled the T.C. it had a plastic fork. He had also said he couldn't find a GM part number for a metal fork and had to go with a Dorman.

Last edited by Broken Halo; 12-03-2019 at 06:55 AM.
Old 12-02-2019, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Broken Halo
A member on another forum who designs, fabs and sells Hummer components said he had an '08 from new, and when he disassembled the T.C. it had a plastic fork.
Yeah the guy that sells the Thor Hummer H3 bumpers.

Old 12-02-2019, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Ronjon
Now that the snow has cleared it is apparent I broke my passenger front CV axle. Im going to replace them both. In the mean time, should I remove the front drive shaft and broken axle to avoid further damage? Is there an aftermarket brand recommended? Thank you.
What broke on your cv axle?

Old 12-02-2019, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by hummerz
What broke on your cv axle?
It sheared by the hub assembly.

Old 12-03-2019, 07:47 AM

When in 4HI unlocked the transfer case will send ALL of the power to the most "free wheeling" differential (front or rear).
If the front prop shaft, differential or cv is removed/broken your H3 will not move and make a horrendous noise when put in PARK.
You will have to turn it off, turn the key to the "ON" (NOT RUN) position and select 4HI LOCK in order for it to move.

CB and I made spacial stub shafts out of broken CV shafts and pool plugs for the front differential (no fluid loss) to facilitate driving home with a broken front differential.
These parts plus removal of the prop shaft have been used several times as was 4HI LOCK to get home.

Last edited by TAINTER; 12-03-2019 at 07:53 AM.
Old 12-03-2019, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Broken Halo
Doc, I had inquired some time ago if anyone could confirm that THIS is, in fact, the case that the shift fork was revised from plastic to aluminum in '08 and never heard from anyone. A member on another forum who designs, fabs and sells Hummer components said he had an '08 Alpha from new, and when he disassembled the T.C. it had a plastic fork. He had also said he couldn't find a GM part number for a metal fork and had to go with a Dorman.
This is what I surmised, but have not been able to find any true documented answer.

GM realized somewhere in late 07/early 08 that the plastic forks were an issue, and implemented white metal forks to be used in their place. The problem is, the T Cases were not made by GM and GM bought more early so they were available for assembly in vehicles and replacements and got far ahead of actual H3/H3T sales before the new metal forks made their way into new T Cases. In other words, they stock piled a bunch with the plastic forks and kept on using them for who knows how long. I was under the impression the change was made timely, but I have heard people with 09s have had the plastic fork in them?

Since the GM BK and death of Hummer, those records of when and what Vins got new T Cases with metal forks are scarce as hen's teeth.

Old 12-03-2019, 11:45 AM

Not what I was hoping to hear, but thanks for the clarification.

Quick Reply: 4HI can't reverse or drive