Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

2007 H3 3.7 I5 Reverse slipping

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2021, 11:12 PM
Default 2007 H3 3.7 I5 Reverse slipping

Hey All! Been a while since I’ve been on. Still loving my 2007 Tactical H3. Last week my reverse started slipping, or non existent. When it happens I just shift back to Park then back to reverse and works fine. All other gears work fine and have no weird noises.

Thinking it’s time for a new transmission?

I’ve got 109,000 miles. I had the transmission flushed last year by the GM dealership. Checked fluid and confirmed in the hot range. Will check color tomorrow.

What are people going with for aftermarket transmissions? Monster transmissions?

Last edited by H3Tactical; 04-26-2021 at 11:30 PM.
Old 04-27-2021, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator

You go to a reputable local Transmission Shop and order up a rebuild with your favorite aftermarket HD parts included.

The GM Dealership is the last place on Earth to take an out of warranty vehicle for service. I would have skipped the flush and done what I always do. Drop the Trans Pan yourself, add a drain bung/plug while the Trans drips, change the filter, re-install Pan, add fluid to proper level, drive for couple weeks, drain out fluid through new drain plug, fill to proper level, drive some more and repeat the drain and refill if you want. I have heard too many stories about bad results after a flush. Others swear by doing a flush.

Old 04-27-2021, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
Others swear by doing a flush.

What is a transmission flush?

A transmission flush is a procedure to remove old automatic transmission fluid (ATF), sludge and grime from a vehicle’s transmission and replace it with fresh fluid. The purpose of ATF is to cool and lubricate your automatic transmission. Over time, transmission fluid collects foreign particles that can interfere with these functions -- causing your transmission to generate more friction and heat. Eventually these particles can build up into sludge deposits in your transmission and interfere with shifting and acceleration.

Is a transmission flush the same thing as changing transmission fluid?

Changing transmission fluid and flushing the transmission are two different services:
  • Transmission Fluid Change - Replaces 50%-60% of your transmission fluid. Your transmission pan is drained without special equipment, inspected, and cleaned. The transmission filter is replaced and new fluid is added, leaving a mixture of old and new fluid.
  • Transmission Flush - Replaces 100% of your transmission fluid and purges accumulated particles and deposits from the entire transmission. Fluid is expelled from your transmission using a cooler line flushing machine or a pump inlet. The transmission pan is inspected and cleaned, the filter replaced. A complete batch of new, pure ATF is added.

How often should I flush my transmission?

Check your vehicle owner’s manual to see how often your manufacturer recommends transmission flush for your model. Common transmission flush intervals range from every 30,000-50,000 miles to every 3-5 years.

How often should you replace transmission fluid? If you aren’t having full transmission flushes, a common ATF change interval is every 3,000 miles or every two years. Again, check your vehicle’s manual.

Old 04-27-2021, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
You go to a reputable local Transmission Shop and order up a rebuild with your favorite aftermarket HD parts included.

The GM Dealership is the last place on Earth to take an out of warranty vehicle for service. I would have skipped the flush and done what I always do. Drop the Trans Pan yourself, add a drain bung/plug while the Trans drips, change the filter, re-install Pan, add fluid to proper level, drive for couple weeks, drain out fluid through new drain plug, fill to proper level, drive some more and repeat the drain and refill if you want. I have heard too many stories about bad results after a flush. Others swear by doing a flush.

how do you add a drain plug?

thank you!

Old 04-28-2021, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by H3Tactical
how do you add a drain plug?

thank you!
Drill a 1/2" hole in the forward driver side corner of the pan about 1.5" in where it is nice and flat. Weld a Weld Nut bung on the bottom/outside with the same size thread as the oil drain (or any other size you want). Buy and install drain plug.

Or...... buy an add a drain plug kit and be careful where you locate that.