PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Short engine oil life ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 08:28 AM
Default Short engine oil life ?

It was around May last year when I changed the oil and filters on my H2. I've reset the engine oil life on the dash. I've seen it move down rather quickly and today when I decided to check the engine oil life I was at 1% . I mean come on it was like what ? 9 months ago ?? I didn't do any serious mileage during that time (about 2000 miles). Do you guys know of any reason that may be causing this ?

I used Castrol 5w30 engine oil btw.

Thanks for any input.

Old 02-23-2016, 08:32 AM

Because it is not just about mileage. You should change it at least every 6 months regardless of mileage.

Old 02-23-2016, 08:48 AM

Wow. Isn't that a bit too often ? I drove a bimmer before. It was running the same oil type and it was 12 months or 9000 miles before the OBC notified me. Come on it's not an Impreza, Evo or Mazda RX-8 to do it that often.

Old 02-23-2016, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Malcolm745
Wow. Isn't that a bit too often ? I drove a bimmer before. It was running the same oil type and it was 12 months or 9000 miles before the OBC notified me. Come on it's not an Impreza, Evo or Mazda RX-8 to do it that often.
I hope your not driving 9000 miles on conventional oil. Even synthetic that would be pushing it. I change mine every 5000km/ 6months whatever comes first. Even with synthetic. Oil breaks down after 6 months. I am a castrol believer. I've had a bunch of vehicles that i've used it in and stuck to this maintenance schedule and never had any internal engine issues. In any of the vehicles i've owned.

Old 02-23-2016, 11:45 AM

I only use synthetic, but as mentioned above the oil life calculator isn't just about mileage. Speed, stop and go, revolutions (idling), engine temp all go into the calculation. I don't think time is part of the equation, but in a perfect world it would be. Same for oil level, viscosity and driving on dusty roads or trails.

In the OPs case, I'm guessing it's due to lots of short trips and possibly cold weather.

Old 02-23-2016, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by skeptic
In the OPs case, I'm guessing it's due to lots of short trips and possibly cold weather.
This.

I do a lot of short trips during the day. I'm guessing that's why it's showing 1% already and hey Poland ain't exactly the warmest place to be. Got to order some Castrol blood for my duce then. Cheers !

Old 02-23-2016, 03:11 PM

It was around May last year when I changed the oil and filters on my H2. I've reset the engine oil life on the dash. I've seen it move down rather quickly and today when I decided to check the engine oil life I was at 1% . I mean come on it was like what ? 9 months ago ?? I didn't do any serious mileage during that time (about 2000 miles). Do you guys know of any reason that may be causing this ?

I used Castrol 5w30 engine oil btw.

Thanks for any input.
You have less oil capacity than the BMW and the H2 oil filter size is a joke.

TH

Old 02-24-2016, 09:46 PM

^agreed, the oil filter on these things is a complete joke. When I did my remote filter install I used a filter the same diameter but about twice as long. Seems my oil life has been greatly increased.

Old 02-26-2016, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by tharber
You have less oil capacity than the BMW and the H2 oil filter size is a joke.

TH
Yeah I was surprised during the first oil change that this tank actually takes less oil than my 3 series 2.0 litre diesel (I like to think it was more manly than it actually was ) and has half the size oil filter.

I don't do much miles on my H2 but I believe it has to be a pain for you guys to change the oil so often seeing the mileage you do.

Old 03-03-2016, 05:09 PM

I don't do much miles on my H2 but I believe it has to be a pain for you guys to change the oil so often seeing the mileage you do.
Exactly, hence why I did a remote oil filter. I was sick and tired of getting oil all over the place when changing the oil.

Quick Reply: Short engine oil life ?