PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 H3 Brake issue!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 04:46 PM
Default 06 H3 Brake issue!!

Hey guys, been watching the forum for a while now, thanks to you guys been able to find most of the answers to my concerns, not really problems...... until now. I have an 06 with 33k, and lately when I slow down right before I come to a complete stop I hear a grinding/vibration sound coming from the brakes.... I have no clue what it could be.....

Also sometimes when I go over a bump or something I get a clunking out of the rear end? What is that?!

I appreciate all your expertise on this subject, I love my H3 and really just would love to have these issues fixed before I move on to the next project! NEW TIRES!!!! I can't wait!!!!
Thanks!
John

Old 11-16-2008, 05:03 PM
Default RE: 06 H3 Brake issue!!

The grinding/vibration could be you abs activating or it could simply be that your brake pads are worn out and grinding metal to metal now. The clunking could be anything from a loose tire (incl. spare) to bad suspension components, to a bowling ball in the cargo area, your description is to vague to guess what you might have going on.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:15 PM

Most of the GM cars I've owned over the past 30 or so years with front disks have needed pads within 25K-30K miles. I'd suggest taking a look. I've never looked at the brakes on my Hummer, but I can't imagine they're much different than the other 90% of the cars on the road. Assuming the rotors are in good shape, you can do it yourself for anywhere between $15 and $75, depending on the quality of the pads. It shouldn't take more than an hour if you know what you're doing and work slow. A bit longer and a few beers for a buddy to help if you've never done brakes before. It'll cost a bit more if the rotors need to be cut. More still if they need to be replaced. Unfortunately, since it sounds like they're already grinding, that's a real possibility. I'd guesstimate $300-$400 if you drop it off somewhere then pick it up a few hours later - definitely the easier route.

Old 11-16-2008, 08:30 PM

It sounds like you have a common noise these trucks haveright at the end of the stop under a medium to hard stop.. There is a bullentin to resurface the rear rotors for this noise (as long as the brakes are not worn out). We warranty these all the time under the 4 yr 50k warranty. Steve

Old 11-17-2008, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator

Please read this old thread, it answers your question(s). Rotor resurfacing bulletin

Old 11-17-2008, 10:20 PM

I second that with H3X442.
Had mine about a month now and the night I picked it up it was doing the exact same thing.
If you hit the brakes kinda hard, just before it comes to a stop you get the grinding.
It was taken to Hummer and they said it is a common problem and that the rear rotors needed skimming.....
Noise has now gone !
Hope you get it sorted,
Paul

Old 11-18-2008, 04:51 PM

Hey , I just rolled over to 36,000 miles .
Had same noise in front right more on hard braking issues.
took to dealer and found front pads thin, but still OK

Looked into more since problem was still there,

found front rotors had small heat stress cracks, Not covered by Manufacture [ over 12 months ]
common warranty length for said item ,

needed to check the brake rotors very close to find , used a method to find stress cracks in metallurgy testing methods.

Has any one else, found similar issues , or did some people already replace rotors or have existing cut down ........?[:'(]