Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

“chirp” noise in passenger front

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2020, 08:53 AM
Default “chirp” noise in passenger front

When I go over any speed bumps or hit any Kind of bump or potholes in the road there is a chirping kind of noise that comes from around the passenger side front wheel... The tire rod ends are good, the shocks are good, and I have lubricated every bushing I can find. This is driving me absolutely insane even though it’s only a minor problem. I’ve taken a plastic mallet and hit everything I know to hit and I can’t reproduce the sound....What could I be missing?

Old 05-07-2020, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to HF. How many miles on the truck?

Sounds like an interior squeak at first, then gets louder so when you open the passenger window you can hear it better. Only happens with smaller bumps.

Lower ball joint needs replacing. Been there done that.... more than once.

Here is how to check it. Use a floor jack under the frame behind the front wheel, jack up to extend suspension (no need to get the tire off the ground) then let loose on the jack so the front drops quickly. You might hear the chirp on the way up and down, or just one or the other. Let us know if that is it.

Old 05-07-2020, 04:21 PM

Welcome to HF, like Doc olds said
look also for cuts in Ball joint, maybe they've lost grease ..... and did you also check front hubs+bearings ? It's all an DIY job , with only patience and the right tools, with little know how or help. Let us know..